Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
So I'm a graduate student, and my iPad has been great for lots of reasons, mainly storing tons of PDFs on it easily and not having to carry around tons of binders. However, the MAJOR downside is that my school puts PDFs on the website in a way that opens the PDF in the browser and doesn't let me open in a reader (such as iBooks or GoodReader).

I figured using a VNC app would solve this by letting me access my home desktop, move around the internet on its browser, download the file in preview, save it, move it to my dropbox, then move it to my iPad. Can something like this actually work? And what would be the best VNC to use this? To do this, I would need to be able to right click within the app to be able to "open in preview" option. Also, being able to write e-mails to professors about questions, or respond to group emails sort of sucks on the iPad.

My other option (and the one I was leaning heavily toward until about 20 minutes ago when I did a MRoogle) is to sell my iPad and get a 11.6 MBA. I have no problem with this (I really don't like watching movies, etc, on the iPad because I enjoy it without a case, and that means I have to hold it) but I LOVE the battery life of the iPad. I charge my iPad every night, and every night it's never below 60% when I plug it in, so I guess the MBA would be fine. Anyway, what do you all think?

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I use realvnc server on all my pcs and IMO is the best option. Other VNC viewers work with the realvnc server which is nice cause others like Jump have some options the VNC viewer doesnt have. On a good wifi/3g connection, its smooth as butter.

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
TeamViewer, is free for personal use, and is a great simple solution. It may even allow you to do a file transfer after you've downloaded the pdf...can't recall, and don't have my iPad with me right this minute.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I also use RealVNC server and then connect to it using iTeleport.
This is by far the best VNC client I have tried, well worth the money.

As an alternative though, if your iPad is JB you might find Safari Download Manager or one of the other Cydia apps allows you to save the PDF rather than just view it in browser. Might be worth investigating.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I use mocha VNC lite on my iphone, but am looking for one to connect my ipad to the built in VNC server on my mac pro

Any suggestions for me too?

Sorry to thread hijak a little, but it seemed pointless having another thread.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
I use mocha VNC lite on my iphone, but am looking for one to connect my ipad to the built in VNC server on my mac pro

Any suggestions for me too?

Sorry to thread hijak a little, but it seemed pointless having another thread.

I use iTeleport on my iPad to connect to my Mac Mini at home (built-in VNC server). Works great.
With your Mac Pro your screen res will be way higher than the iPad, but iTeleport allows you to either squash everything to fit on the iPad screen or keep the pixels 1:1 but scroll about on the iPad.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I use iTeleport on my iPad to connect to my Mac Mini at home (built-in VNC server). Works great.
With your Mac Pro your screen res will be way higher than the iPad, but iTeleport allows you to either squash everything to fit on the iPad screen or keep the pixels 1:1 but scroll about on the iPad.

Brilliant, thanks, Ill give that a bash when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.