PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pages (iWork 2005)

MacBytes
Jan 22, 2005, 09:02 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: Apple Pages (iWork 2005) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050122220224)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Abstract
Jan 22, 2005, 11:06 PM
Fair review.

Without having used or seen Pages, the description and comparison to MS Publisher is what I thought Pages was comparable to, rather than the comparisons to MS Word that people kept making.

aswitcher
Jan 23, 2005, 12:07 AM
Yeah not bad. Wonder how iWork handles large documents with lots of large photos...

JDOG_
Jan 23, 2005, 03:29 AM
Okay so there's a bunch of positives but some pretty serious negatives such as flawed UI and lack of basic features yet it gets a 5 out of 5...am I missing something?

On a sidenote, as a student who writes frequent papers of all sorts and does page layout for our newspaper (using inDesign), my experience with Pages has been incredibly frustrating. I've done my best to learn it, but it simply lacks the customization and really intuitive design of Word X or 04'. I hate to say it, but M$ kind of kicked Apple's butt on this front after having used both programs. I know you can all flame me about it, but try out both & I think you'll find word's just a lot better when it comes to getting things done quickly. Like in Powerpoint compared to Keynote 1.0, you had to do a bunch of workarounds in Keynote to get close to the speed of Powerpoint, now with Keynote 2, it's a lot more intuitive. I think Pages is just waiting for these changes--but they really need to happen before a 2.0!

macnulty
Jan 23, 2005, 08:15 AM
Okay so there's a bunch of positives but some pretty serious negatives such as flawed UI and lack of basic features yet it gets a 5 out of 5...am I missing something?

On a sidenote, as a student who writes frequent papers of all sorts and does page layout for our newspaper (using inDesign), my experience with Pages has been incredibly frustrating. I've done my best to learn it, but it simply lacks the customization and really intuitive design of Word X or 04'. I hate to say it, but M$ kind of kicked Apple's butt on this front after having used both programs. I know you can all flame me about it, but try out both & I think you'll find word's just a lot better when it comes to getting things done quickly. Like in Powerpoint compared to Keynote 1.0, you had to do a bunch of workarounds in Keynote to get close to the speed of Powerpoint, now with Keynote 2, it's a lot more intuitive. I think Pages is just waiting for these changes--but they really need to happen before a 2.0!

It's not a MS Word replacement, for 1/2 of 79 bucks.

Chobit
Jan 23, 2005, 10:06 AM

I have not yet used pages yet, but I've found I work much faster in Keynote 1.0 than in any version of powerpoint. I have also never found word X/04 to be intuitive. Word 5, on the other hand, I have fond memories of. I'm going to try pages as soon as I can, but from what people have said it seems I may stick with nisus writer.

pourhadi
Jan 23, 2005, 12:18 PM

When we were picking the rating, we decided Pages was perfect for what it was designed to be: a simple word processing app and a simple page layout app.