PDA

View Full Version : Mac Minis $449 from Target

MacBytes
Jan 22, 2005, 09:07 PM
Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: Mac Minis $449 from Target (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050122220733)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

sord
Jan 22, 2005, 09:21 PM
"because they aren't shipping until March according to the site"
Looks like Target is wrong.

UPDATE: Just checked the target website, "Item arriving in 2 to 6 weeks. Order now." Target must have ordered a lot from Apple.

Yvan256
Jan 22, 2005, 11:07 PM
Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: Mac Minis $449 from Target (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050122220733)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Apple against any discount on their stuff?!

Isn't Target getting into trouble before even selling anything?

birdherder
Jan 22, 2005, 11:58 PM
Apple is against advertising discounted stuff. Target isn't giving a discount on the mini specifically, it is giving a 10% discount on anything sold on its site. You can use that coupon to buy pots and pans for all Target or Apple cares.

dotnina
Jan 22, 2005, 11:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Apple against any discount on their stuff?!

Isn't Target getting into trouble before even selling anything?

Well, they're selling the Minis at retail price. The discount comes from a 10% coupon. They pretty much offer the coupon year-round ... if I'm not mistaken, you can also use it on the iPods they sell.

balconycollapse
Jan 23, 2005, 02:04 AM
Wow this is a great place to sell apple products because of targets percieved style. If this means you will be able to buy them at target and not just online that'd be a big plus. The target near me has a starbucks as well. I could see their little bay of apple products becoming a micro apple store.

Now if HP would just make an Hmac mini...even more supply chains and distribution.

SiliconAddict
Jan 23, 2005, 06:16 AM
How does Applecare factor into this? Can you buy Applecare from Apple even though you purchased the system from someone like Target?

In any case I'm prob going to get my mini from target. I know someone who works there and they get 10% off along with another 10% whenever they purchase over $1000 on their Target CCard. So every 4-6 months or so they go on a shopping spree. This next time hopefully I can be there to get 20% off a mini. Now if only I could time it for one of these online coupon deals for 10%. LOL. 30% of a mini anyone??? :eek: :D :D

iJon
Jan 23, 2005, 01:46 PM
Apple is against advertising discounted stuff. Target isn't giving a discount on the mini specifically, it is giving a 10% discount on anything sold on its site. You can use that coupon to buy pots and pans for all Target or Apple cares.
They exclude iPods at Best Buy on their coupons for anything, same on Bose systems. Even the employees can't get a discount on iPods at Best Buy. At least that's what I've been told by someone I know who is a head manager at best buy.

jon

CanadaRAM
Jan 23, 2005, 02:11 PM
I expect that Target will close that loophole quickly. 10% off puts it at approx. 6-7% below dealer cost...

In Canada, an Authorized Apple Dealer makes 3% on a 1.25 Mini at full price.

I assume Target gets another 1% or so for volume purchasing.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

SwiftLives
Jan 23, 2005, 02:11 PM
I've never seen a computer for sale in a retail Target. Of course, I've never been to one of the Über-Targets (a.k.a. SuperTaget & Greatland).
Anyway, I doubt they will be selling them there. Also, I doubt they will be selling them in a store where you can't purchase a monitor or keyboard for it.

On the other hand, the Mac Mini is small and wouldn't take up nearly as much shelf space as any other computer, so I do hold out *some* hope that there will be a store in my town where I can buy a Mac.

SiliconAddict
Jan 23, 2005, 02:25 PM
I expect that Target will close that loophole quickly. 10% off puts it at approx. 6-7% below dealer cost...

Heh. I doubt Apple even cares. If Target eats the price diff and still pays Apple full retail price for the units I doubt Apple would care if the thing went for $2.99.

solvs
Jan 23, 2005, 07:09 PM
How does Applecare factor into this? Can you buy Applecare from Apple even though you purchased the system from someone like Target?
Yes, you can.

maya
Jan 23, 2005, 07:17 PM
Target gets volume pricing as many hugh retailers, warehouses, educational institutes do.

Apple is making a hefty profit by selling it on they own store, volume selling it to Target or someone else allow those companies to also carry software and other odds and ends such as Apple Care, etc...

Apple is taking a slight cut in profits, however is gaining much more in the process.

The same worked with the iPod +HP deal. :)

Take a slight hit now and make it up later down the road. :)

wdlove
Jan 23, 2005, 07:42 PM
Sounds like a win win for Apple, Target, and the customer. Target offering AppleCare is also very important. For those that don't have a Apple Store near, they would still have someone that they could talk to face to face.