Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Hello all, once again. :) I'll try to keep this one short, as I know none of you actually enjoy reading my posts. ;)

I've had a 40 GB iPod Photo for about a year now, and it's actually been a pretty decent iPod. But, it's old and I'm quite accident prone. A disk based iPod and me are just a recipe for disaster. So, since Christmas is coming up, I've been thinking about asking for a new one, and retiring the photo to my car iPod, since that's where it spends most of its time as it is.

As of yet, I still haven't decided whether I want the nano, classic or touch. I may make a separate thread asking about this, but for now I have a different issue.

As is listed in my sig, my main machine is a 1.42 GHz eMac running Tiger. My favorite Mac in the wold, paired with my favorite OS in the world. :D However, I haven't been keeping much up to date with these new iPods, and as I was browsing them on the online Apple Store last night, I noticed a disturbing fact; the classic will work on Tiger, but the nano and touch require Leopard.

...Well, crap. I really don't want to upgrade to Leopard, and I actually wouldn't really have to since I have two PC's that run Windows XP SP3, which will work with all those models. But I have all my media on my eMac, and I'd like to keep it that way. Plus I get the feeling at some point XP will not be supported anymore and I'll be screwed all over again. So I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and leaving my sweet Tiger behind. :(

So, I purpose a simple question. I've had a 1.33 GHz iBook G4 with 1.25 GB of RAM running Leopard before. And I must say, I was not impressed with the performance. I quickly downgraded it back to Tiger and kept it like that until I sold it. But, my eMac has a slightly faster processor, and the ability to have 2 GB of RAM. If I were to do that (Currently it only has 512 MB) would Leopard run any better then it did on my iBook? Like, at basically the speed Tiger does now? I just don't want to get this iPod, and have to basically sacrifice my computer to use it, you know? Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i had leopard running on 2 of my 3 eMac 1.42's each with 2 gb ram , but i went back to tiger before trying it on the 3rd as i was less impressed from the performance offered , and as i have no apps or peripherals that would need leopard i could not see the point of slowing down my eMac's ;)
and the eMac's are the computers where all my musik, photos and movies are stored (sacrificed the optical to fit second HDD 's )
but dont have a pc so cant tell you how to get them to talk to each other via network , but its possible

Last edited:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
here's a idea

-buy a used (or maybe some store still have new) ipod nano 5th gen

image.jsp

-tech specs for these are (Mac OS X v10.4.11 or later...usb 2.0...itunes 9)

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP569

-you can download latest (and last) itunes for tiger here...itunes 9.2.1

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1056

update: amazon sells 5th gen

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ipod+nano+5th&x=0&y=0

Last edited:

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
I have it on my eMac with the same specs as yours and it runs fine. It may be worth a try and if you don't like the performance you can always switch back.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Cassie I have the same iPod. Same hdd that is actually going bad.

I intend to simply buy a new hard drive for the iPod.

Problem solved.

But I've run Leopard on a 12" Powerbook 1.5ghz with 1.25gb of ram, ran fine.

Tiger is not that great imho.

go for Leopard anyway. Bump up the ram in your eMac

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
if you got tiger you got the best OS apple ever made since OS9 , so in my opinion not worth the money to get leopard only for syncing a ipod :rolleyes: i even run OSX Tiger on my core duo iMac because apple scrapped apple talk on snow leopard and Tiger is still faster

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
My eMac at 1.42 GHz and 2 GB of RAM runs Leopard just fine. It also works just the same on my 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4 (with 1 GB of RAM).

Here's an interesting upgrade story from my college. Back in early 2008 we had recently acquired a bunch of old PowerMac G4 QuickSilvers for our Fine Arts building, as the campus in another town got newer Macs and didn't need the G4s anymore. All of them were 800 MHz (the 2002 version), with 1.5 GB of RAM, 80 GB hard drives, CD-RW drives and NVIDIA graphics cards with 64 MB of VRAM. They all had Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther, along with Photoshop CS, iLife '03, and at least three of them had Final Cut Express 1.0. I remember the director of the audiovisual department had me test each PowerMac to see what software was on it. They also all came with large LCD Apple Studio Displays, and the black Pro Keyboard and mouse.

Panther was fine on them, but around late 2008 we decided to upgrade them to Leopard! This was not an easy task, because these had 800 MHz G4 processors (Leopard requires 867 HMz or faster), and they had CD-RW drives. SO... we used one of those hacks to install Leopard on an older G4, along with a FireWire DVD drive. Once Leopard was installed, they still performed pretty well. In fact, this was how I first used the Leopard operating system! They also had Final Cut Express 3.5 installed on them in the video editing lab, and Audacity on the ones in the audio labs and radio station.

These Macs did their job, but in summer 2009, when I came back for my final year, I was surprised to find that they no longer had the PowerMac G4s! They had all been replaced with new 24" Intel iMacs! Each one has a 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB of RAM, and a 1 TB hard drive. They even got rid of their older Dell PCs in the video editing lab (for using Windows editing software like Avid Liquid) and partitioned the iMac hard drives using Boot Camp, so 500 GB of the drive was 10.5 Leopard, and the other half had Windows XP Pro! They all had Microsoft Office 2008 installed on them, as well as the Adobe CS4 Master Suite collection, and many of them in the video editing lab have Final Cut Studio 2 installed as well (as these were Intel Core 2 Duo Macs with better graphics cards, they took advantage of them by installing powerful high-end software on them). As of December 2010, these Macs STILL have Leopard on them, and we also have a Mac Pro from 2007 running Tiger! We're thinking of upgrading that one to 10.7 Lion when it comes out, as well as upgrading the iLife software on the iMacs.

Thus, with those PowerMac G4s, my love of Mac OS X Leopard began!

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Thanks for all the replies guys, good to know it should run OK. I have a Leopard install disc somewhere around here from back when I put it on my iBook for a little while, so I don't need to spend any money on that.

I was thinking about this for a little while earlier, and I realized that if Leopard runs well on this 'ol tank, there's only one issue: the look. Is there per chance any sort of software mod out there that could make Leopard have the same visual style as Tiger? I would honestly have no issue going to Leopard if such a thing exists. Thanks again for all your help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.