PDA

View Full Version : Digital cameras and the near future

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 22, 2005, 11:44 PM
Just a friendly note of interest for those looking for a digital camera. Late February with see a big industry show (PMA). Tons of new products are introduced there.

If you want cutting edge, then wait. If you are happy with what is out there, then now is a good time to buy. Many "older" digital cameras have had price reductions.

BWhaler
Jan 23, 2005, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the reminder. (I hate buying dated technology.)

aswitcher
Jan 23, 2005, 01:11 AM
Just a friendly note of interest for those looking for a digital camera. Late February with see a big industry show (PMA). Tons of new products are introduced there.

If you want cutting edge, then wait. If you are happy with what is out there, then now is a good time to buy. Many "older" digital cameras have had price reductions.

Thanks. Is there a good independant website to monitor rumors and the outcome of this event?

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 23, 2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks. Is there a good independant website to monitor rumors and the outcome of this event?

Here are two sites:

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

kbonnel
Jan 23, 2005, 04:35 AM
I am really interested in seeing what new DSLRs are coming out. I wonder if Canon will be releasing a new sub 1K DSLR to replace the Rebel.

Kimo

Ambrose Chapel
Jan 23, 2005, 09:29 AM
I am really interested in seeing what new DSLRs are coming out. I wonder if Canon will be releasing a new sub 1K DSLR to replace the Rebel.

Kimo

me too. hopefully canon and nikon will release more DLSRs, give us more choices at some different price points.

Bear
Jan 23, 2005, 09:34 AM
me too. hopefully canon and nikon will release more DLSRs, give us more choices at some different price points.There are definitely rumors about Nikon announcing one or two DSLRs for PMA. And Canon probably will announce a new DSLR (they seem to at every show) but who knows where it will fall in that range.

Of course remember that any DSLR announced at PMA can have from a one to five month leadtime before the first units ship.

roadapple
Jan 23, 2005, 09:49 AM
I would love if some one would intoduce a digital camera back for my old canon A1, to turn it into a 4-7 mp digital camera. I don't know if this is even possiable, but with all my FD lenses I would pay 1k-2k for it! Or a new digital body that would use the older manual focus lenses.

Bear
Jan 23, 2005, 10:09 AM
I would love if some one would intoduce a digital camera back for my old canon A1, to turn it into a 4-7 mp digital camera. I don't know if this is even possiable, but with all my FD lenses I would pay 1k-2k for it! Or a new digital body that would use the older manual focus lenses.Nikon was able to manage DSLRs that are able to use most of the Nikon lenses made over the past 30 or 40 years.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 23, 2005, 10:43 AM
Nikon was able to manage DSLRs that are able to use most of the Nikon lenses made over the past 30 or 40 years.

Keep in mind that is with limitations depending on which series of Nikon mount lenses you are referring to.

You bring up an old argument between Nikon and Canon users. Canon evidently saw that their FD mount would not be able to meet the future demands of AF and beyond. No manufacturer will just for the heck of it change their mounts.

In the end the change allowed Canon to have some advantages over the Nikon for a few years (AF motors in the lens, image stabilization). But competition is good.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 23, 2005, 10:46 AM
I would love if some one would intoduce a digital camera back for my old canon A1, to turn it into a 4-7 mp digital camera. I don't know if this is even possiable, but with all my FD lenses I would pay 1k-2k for it! Or a new digital body that would use the older manual focus lenses.

Don't hold your breath unfortunately.

The only hope is that Cosina that makes the body for the Epson RD1 RF, gets into the DLSR market. They already have experience in build SLRs with Nikon, Pentax K & SM, and I believe the Olympus OM mounts.

ibilly
Jan 24, 2005, 10:43 PM
I highly reccomend a Canon. Quality, performance, style. It's like sony, but cheaper, and with memory cards from not noly one manufacturer, and better.

I've explored lo, mid, hi, and DSLR ranges of their lineup, and Canon's got it down. They also probably have exactly what you're looking for, if not more. http://www.powershot.com Canon USA Consumer Home (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ConsumerHomePageAct)

Ambrose Chapel
Jan 24, 2005, 11:35 PM
There are definitely rumors about Nikon announcing one or two DSLRs for PMA. And Canon probably will announce a new DSLR (they seem to at every show) but who knows where it will fall in that range.

Of course remember that any DSLR announced at PMA can have from a one to five month leadtime before the first units ship.

that's fine, i'm not ready to buy just this minute anyway. i'd like one by this summer, so hopefully that would be enough time for everything to have shipped and receive some real world reviews.