Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Hello everyone, I was doing my laundry today and was moving a load and found my fifth generation iPod nano in the bottom of the washer. I didn't try and turn it on, instantly put it in a bowl of rice and plan on letting it sit overnight. There is a bit of condensation inside the camera lens, and the bottom edges are pretty bent and beat up. If it's not working by tomorrow, I'm going to use this as an excuse to buy myself a classic.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It needs more than a day to dry out. Give it at least a week.

frozenflourish

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
just abandon it for a few weeks - curiosity kills the cat - or at least, washed nanos! we washed my daughters, and i thought it was a goner - threw it in a drawer and bought her a second one (it was christmas time, and it was my old nano).
by god i tried it a few weeks later and it worked - WELL. its like it never got washed. dont power it up and leave it alone.

three

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
just abandon it for a few weeks - curiosity kills the cat - or at least, washed nanos! we washed my daughters, and i thought it was a goner - threw it in a drawer and bought her a second one (it was christmas time, and it was my old nano).
by god i tried it a few weeks later and it worked - WELL. its like it never got washed. dont power it up and leave it alone.

That's what I plan on doing, I have a Zune HD so that will keep me sane with music until I get my nano working again. When I found the iPod in the washer, I instantly threw it in a bowl of rice and set the bowl away.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
Put it in rice for the same reason you put rice in your salt. Rice absorbs a great deal of water, but very slowly. It needs plenty of time.

Just drop the nano in a ziploc bag full of rice, and forget about it for a while, like the others said. About a week.

Then you can see if it still works.

three

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
It has been about a week since I posted last. Battery is dead, won't turn on until plugged in, speaker is dead, camera works, marks on the LCD panel, camera works. I am just going to buy a new classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.