Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tateusmaximus

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2004
sydney
pretty thorough and consise isnt he?!?

well thats good news as ive been hanging out for a PB G5 for some time but couldnt wait any longer and now have myself a 12in PB!

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Personaly, im ecstatic at the thought of having one of these inside my powermac G6 and powerbook G6.

greenleaf

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2004
Eugene,OR
I would agree that he sounds right...even though i really hope hes not and we get g5 powerbooks soon!!! :rolleyes: very unlikely though

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
It's an interesting read in deed. Although most of the things he says are based on speculation. One thing's for sure, the PPC 970 or any variant thereof will never make it into a PB. So if we'll ever see a PB G5 or not depends on Apple's branding. IBM might develop a chip suitable for a notebook which is more or less different from the 970. Apple might or might not call it a G5. As for the "Cell" chip. Although I didn't read the complete article, it sounds promising. So let's hope Apple gets this right.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
greenleaf said:
I would agree that he sounds right...even though i really hope hes not and we get g5 powerbooks soon!!! :rolleyes: very unlikely though

look at barefeats.com. they compared a PB G4 1.5 Ghz with a imac G5 1.8 Ghz in appleworks, photoshop, imovie. the imac is between 0% and 30% faster than the pB. that is not a lot given that the clockspeed alone makes 20%. so all the other processor features (esp. FSB) lead at best to an additional 10% performance increase. when you compare then a 1.7 PB to the 1.8 imac there will be no noticable speed difference.
so whats the point in getting a G5 PB?
because of the heatproblems it most likely will be a 1.6 or 1.8 G5 at best and therefore not faster than a G4 1.7. especially when the G4 at some point will be dual core.

its pure speculation on my part but if apple had committed to the g4 for their consumer line Motorola probably had worked out versions of the G4 with slightly higher FSB, dual core and 2.0 GHz by now. i would be happy with that because i don't need the 64 bit. i'd prefer a faster imac G4 2.0 GHz dualcore over a imac G5 all the time. but maybe i'm missing something.

i'm just very impressed that the ancient G4 still can play in the same league as the G5s (30% speed difference between 1.5 PB and 1.8 imac isn't that much).

andi

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
does anyone know enough about freescale's roadmap to know if there is some chip apple can use in the interim that will perform better than a G4, until this mythical cell appears?

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
Ambrose Chapel said:
does anyone know enough about freescale's roadmap to know if there is some chip apple can use in the interim that will perform better than a G4, until this mythical cell appears?

Cell isnt mythical, billions of dollars have been dumped into producing this chip, it is coming.
And yes there is the e600 core(G4, but it is a really good chip) which apple could use in the powerbooks and which they might end up calling the G5m until the Cell(G6) comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.