PDA

View Full Version : Why don't Apple make a 999 core i5 mini tower system simply called the "Mac"?

barkmonster
Dec 17, 2010, 06:31 AM
When I came to buying my first mac it was the G3 Desktop.

My second (current) Mac is a Quicksilver G4.

The only systems I can comfortably fit on my desk with a keyboard shelf are systems WITHOUT built in screens because the 27" iMac is too big and the 21.5" has that stupidly high stand you can't remove and no 100mm VESA holes.

That leave only 2 options:

Used 2.53Ghz Mac Mini + Oxford 934 based external drive

Used Mac Pro + extra internal drive

If there was a mini tower system based around the iMac with NONE of the Mac Pro feature that make them "Pro" but enough for the home/small business, a lot of people would finally have a Mac they can get a few years use out of, not a laptop for their desk compromise.

This would be worth the asking price of the entry level iMac accounting for the screen:-

3Ghz core i5, 2 user upgradable 3.5" drive bays, 2 PCI-e slots, 1 used by the GPU, 4 RAM slots with 2 x 2 Gb fitted, 1TB 7200rpm drive and a Core i7 BTO option.

Those who want 4 drives, loads of expansion and Xeon CPUs are already catered for with the Mac Pro.

wingzero1285
Dec 17, 2010, 12:10 PM
I agree 100%!! But Apple does not want it to interfere with their "Open the box and just use it" type of products. They probably only keep the Mac Pro and its expandibility as an icon.

Silencio
Dec 17, 2010, 12:36 PM
Apple's just not going to do it at this point. I've given up waiting. For 95% of the users I consult for, one of Apple's current products pretty much perfectly suits their needs. If someone really needs internal expansion, we just spring for a low-end or used Mac Pro and think of it as more of a long-term investment.

You can certainly go build yourself a nice Hackintosh if you feel like taking that on. One can build a really rockin' Core i7 tower, most likely within your 999 figure.