PDA

View Full Version : first powerbook g4 and s-video out helo please

bennetsaysargh
Jan 23, 2005, 09:16 AM
i'm trying to get any image on the tv. i've already tried what this (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064) article on apple's kbase, but i can't seem to get it. i'm using an s-video to RCA video.

can anyone help me?
thanks
-Bennet

unispherephoto
Jan 23, 2005, 12:31 PM
ive never used an s-vid/rca cable, but with an s-vid to s-vid i usually have to detect displays in displays prefs before the tv will show my powerbooks display.

bennetsaysargh
Jan 23, 2005, 12:36 PM
ive never used an s-vid/rca cable, but with an s-vid to s-vid i usually have to detect displays in displays prefs before the tv will show my powerbooks display.

already did that too. i'm really stumped on this one here. :confused:

unispherephoto
Jan 23, 2005, 12:42 PM
annoyingly obvious, but is your tv on the correct channel/video mode? mine has a specific svhs channel

brap
Jan 23, 2005, 12:46 PM
Have you ever had it working with a less silly cable, at all? ;) :rolleyes:

No, but in all seriousness. I had a hell of a time trying to get mine to work, until I realised the adapter (mini-dvi -> s-vhs/rca) was broken. Simple way to tell, plug the adapter in (lid open), open displays preferences, select "Mirror displays" (so you can see all the options on one screen) and see if the adapter is being detected correctly.

It should offer Pal/I and NTSC, and all host of video resolutions up to 1024. If it's being detected as a second VGA monitor, then I'm afraid it's broke!

Earendil
Jan 23, 2005, 01:50 PM
You can trouble shoot this the other way around as well. Do you have a video camera, game console, or something else that will provide s-Video input? That way you have a device you know works, and that the TV/VCR system is set up correctly.

I know that in my own home, the number of inputs, boxes, and outputs things have to get to to get to the TV, or the Stereo, is quite complicated, and borders on rocket science ;)

Alternatively (though this may be what you're doing) try and plug you Powerbook directly into a TV, and simplify the equation that way.

~Earnedil

bennetsaysargh
Jan 23, 2005, 01:51 PM
well, no luck with it at all. thanks for the help though.maybe my s-video out just doesn't work. is there any way to go from the DVI to a tv set?

Aldaris
Jan 23, 2005, 11:26 PM
After you connect the S-Video to the Tv, and Computer, do you go to your display preferences, and "Detect Displays"? Just a question...

CompUSA, does sell some adapters just look, for Dvi to analoge or something like that...

bennetsaysargh
Jan 24, 2005, 06:44 AM
yeah i did do that. i'm stumped.

jyumibe
Jan 24, 2005, 08:43 AM
sorry you're having trouble. i've got a 800 mhz tibook and connect it to my tv via s-video to rca fairly often without any trouble. i use the s-video to rca plug that came with it and then any old rca cable sitting around.

once it's plugged in and the tv is set to video in, i just hit "detect displays" and the computer recognizes that it's plugged into the tv. i can then mirror the display or use extended desktop.

it sounds like your s-video to rca cable is probably messed up, and i'd just try a new one, though it could be the s-video card as well i suppose, but i'd try to the cable first. i would imagine that adapter should be cheaper than a dvi to analog cable, though i could be wrong.