Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dldear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
If the MiFi box allows any wireless device to access the Verizon network, why do I need to buy the more expensive 3G unit?? If I buy the standard iPad with wireless, why would it be any different than using my laptop with the MiFi to access the internet? Please help!

Kingpin

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Southern California
Well if your buying the IPAD from verizon you can only get the Wifi enabled one. They don't sell the 3G ones. And if you get the 3G one from Apple you'll have to get a data package from AT&T and a card to insert in the iPad.

socalguy07

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
CA
I bought the wifi 16K from Verizon on Friday and they have a deal where you get the MIFI modem for free. So it only cost 499 to get the 3G package.

Kingpin

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2009
Southern California
I bought the wifi 16K from Verizon on Friday and they have a deal where you get the MIFI modem for free. So it only cost 499 to get the 3G package.

Your not getting a 3G unit. The Ipads through Verizon are only Wifi. The MIFI card you got converts a 3G signal into a Wifi hotspot which your IPad can then access the Verizon network through Wifi. And you didn't get a 16K IPad. They come in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.