PDA

View Full Version : My Mac Mini and me

MacBytes
Jan 23, 2005, 10:40 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: My Mac Mini and me (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050123114054)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

24C
Jan 23, 2005, 11:55 AM
Must have missed the bit about the BT module being free, $499 base model doesn't have one:confused:. Probably should have added 'after plugging in my existing USB Bluetooth module, I could use my existing wireless keyboard etc"

Anyway, nice to see he could get it up and running so fast. His little kid looked happy and so did the CNET big kid.

Wigletbill
Jan 23, 2005, 01:23 PM
Ummm.. dude... that copy of iLife was just for the mini. You have to buy a license for the other macs. Oh, wait... No one does that.

Lacero
Jan 23, 2005, 01:43 PM
If Bear reads this, he's going to go into a fit!

wdlove
Jan 23, 2005, 07:34 PM
Ummm.. dude... that copy of iLife was just for the mini. You have to buy a license for the other macs. Oh, wait... No one does that.

Sounds as though he hasn't done any reporting on that particular subject yet.

Was saddened to read that a lot of customers showed up for the iPod Shuffle, but none were available. With some that mean a lost sale. :( :o

Sharewaredemon
Jan 24, 2005, 07:14 AM
I have a question about the Mac mini and connecting it to a tv. I have an eMac with an ATI 32 mb graphics card (the same one as in the mini), and as I am a quality hound, I notice that when you watch DVDs they aren't nearly as sharp looking on a tv. Now I know that this is because of the graphics card, but will this carry over to the TV?

24C
Jan 24, 2005, 08:13 AM
I have a question about the Mac mini and connecting it to a tv. I have an eMac with an ATI 32 mb graphics card (the same one as in the mini), and as I am a quality hound, I notice that when you watch DVDs they aren't nearly as sharp looking on a tv. Now I know that this is because of the graphics card, but will this carry over to the TV?

If you use the S Video rather than the phono you'll get better quality. My 15" TiPowerBook DVI is as good as my Panasonic XV10, and a mate's 15" Al PowerBook is better still :(

I can't remember if the eMac has a combo phono & S video out on its video out adaptor, but I thought I'd see one for the Mac mini on the AppleStore.

PS DVI into the telly would be best if you have the capability.

Sharewaredemon
Jan 24, 2005, 08:44 AM
If you use the S Video rather than the phono you'll get better quality. My 15" TiPowerBook DVI is as good as my Panasonic XV10, and a mate's 15" Al PowerBook is better still :(

I can't remember if the eMac has a combo phono & S video out on its video out adaptor, but I thought I'd see one for the Mac mini on the AppleStore.

PS DVI into the telly would be best if you have the capability.

Thanks, though after re reading my post I can't believe you understood what I meant, very confusing. Just to be clear, I'm worried the graphics card in the Mac mini will not be able to produce a sharp image on a tv while watching dvds as the image is not that great when viewing a DVD on the Mac mini and computer monitor.

solvs
Jan 24, 2005, 02:43 PM
TVs are generally larger and have a lower resolution. Even some "HD" ones vs a good monitor. You will never get a better picture on a Standard TV than even a midrange CRT or LCD. And the bigger the TV, the worse the image can look.