Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Has anyone any experience of this? Its got usb and firewire connectors and a blue neon light to make it look pretty, but mine is behaving oddly. I've got a 60gB Maxtor drive in it. Usually when I connect it all I can hear is the drive trying to spin up (sounds a bit like a 16 yr old moped rider at the traffic lights if you know what I mean) and doesn't mount.
I've managed to get it to mount a couple of times - yesterday I cloned my hard drive onto it, and then booted successfully from it, but today it won't mount.
The annoying thing is that it works perfectly when I plug it into a WinXP box (at least I know the Maxtor drive itself is ok).
If anyone can help I'd be extremely grateful.

(iBook G4 1.33, 768mB ram, OS X 10.3.7)

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
In a word, no.
But I've since found its a problem with winXP as well as OS X, and its to do with how the OS handles the bridge chipset (in my case the chipset is a PL3057, other drives use Oxford 911 or Oxford 922 chipsets).

I think it will need a fix from Apple to really sort it out, ......unless anyone here knows differently of course.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
stevep said:
In a word, no.
But I've since found its a problem with winXP as well as OS X, and its to do with how the OS handles the bridge chipset (in my case the chipset is a PL3057, other drives use Oxford 911 or Oxford 922 chipsets).

I think it will need a fix from Apple to really sort it out, ......unless anyone here knows differently of course.

I just got one of these. Have you installed the drivers? There actually are Mac drivers... if you don't have the disk, you can download it from the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.