Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alteau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Lodz, PL
Hi!

My first thread here ;-)
I'm not native English so please go easy on me;)

I had Win Xp Proff. on Boot Camp (iMac 24" 2009) and played without big problems games like Bad Company 2, CofD Black Ops......I changed system for Windows 7 Home Premium and today I tried to play Bad Company 2, unfortunatelly without success.

The game constantly kept stucking like in a slow motion, I installed new graphic drivers from Nvidia site btw. Win 7 shows me that I have GeForce 9400 not 9400M so maybe I installed wrong drivers?

Any idea why with new system and drivers gaming is worst not better!!!
Win and all games are original, Bootcamp is updated, also Punkbuster.

Thanx in advance for help!

rednest

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
Yes, of course I tried.
With low settings and resolution everything was ok but game looked like sh** :(

If you want a better performance with gaming, go build yourself a PC. PC's are way much superior than Mac's in gaming.

Alteau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Lodz, PL
If you want a better performance with gaming, go build yourself a PC. PC's are way much superior than Mac's in gaming.

Ok it's true but I want to know why i didn't have problems with games on XP (same iMac) but I have big problems on Win 7. I must change something, re-install or put to trash soft for 100 euro and back to XP???

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Ok it's true but I want to know why i didn't have problems with games on XP (same iMac) but I have big problems on Win 7. I must change something, re-install or put to trash soft for 100 euro and back to XP???
Probably because Win7 uses more resources than XP. You might try turning off Aero and a lot of other 7 processes to see if it frees up more CPU time and such.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Not a helpful suggestion for this circumstance. BTW, compare any Mac hardware specs to equivalent PC specs, running in bootcamp the Mac is competitive.

Probably because Win7 uses more resources than XP. You might try turning off Aero and a lot of other 7 processes to see if it frees up more CPU time and such.

Outstanding suggestion. For the OP, how much RAM do you have? Win7 is a bigger resource hog than XP is.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Outstanding suggestion. For the OP, how much RAM do you have? Win7 is a bigger resource hog than XP is.

His Mac should be more than powerful enough to even run 64-Bit Windows 7 without any issues. The requirements for 32-Bit Win7 are 1 GB of RAM and 2 GB of RAM for the 64-Bit version. And I have multiple systems at work under my care that do not exceed those requirements and still run Win 7 perfectly fine.

Without having seen the OP's system, my bets are on screwed-up installation of the system.

Alteau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Lodz, PL
Not a helpful suggestion for this circumstance. BTW, compare any Mac hardware specs to equivalent PC specs, running in bootcamp the Mac is competitive.

I have 4 GB RAM but in Boot Camp is available 2,7 GB. Would be nice if problem would be with RAM (easy to change for more :D).

Alteau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Lodz, PL
His Mac should be more than powerful enough to even run 64-Bit Windows 7 without any issues. The requirements for 32-Bit Win7 are 1 GB of RAM and 2 GB of RAM for the 64-Bit version. And I have multiple systems at work under my care that do not exceed those requirements and still run Win 7 perfectly fine.

Without having seen the OP's system, my bets are on screwed-up installation of the system.

Ok I read about it, it's reason why I installed Windows 7, question is how I could "screwed up" instalation if I didn't have any troubles?!
So best solution would be re-install Windows yes?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok I read about it, it's reason why I installed Windows 7, question is how I could "screwed up" instalation if I didn't have any troubles?!
So best solution would be re-install Windows yes?

Yes, re-installing Windows might help. Maybe some of our other more knowledgeable members might comment, but doesn't
boot Camp provide all the drivers you need to run Windows satisfactory?

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Re-installing is a bit like killing a mosquito with a shotgun, but it may work for you.

You have updated to latest bootcamp drivers?

Not to insult anything you have done, but did you install 3.0 off of the SL DVD, then 3.1 for 32/64-bit Win7, then 3.2 for 32/64-bit Win7?

After all that, before trying to install Nvidia drivers, was everything working with your video card?

What version of the Nvidia drivers were installed?

Win7 should run at native resolution for your screen. On my 27" iMac, it's 2560x1440. Same in Win7.

Any hardware or driver errors in Win hardware manager?

Last, I would use http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html before you start your gaming sessions. It routinely makes a 3-5fps difference in the games I play. CoD:MW2, Black Ops, Fallout:New Vegas and others.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.