PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Leopard on my PowerBook G4

Chuchichan
Dec 18, 2010, 08:53 AM
Soon I plan to upgrade my Powerbook G4 (1.33ghz) to OS 10.5 (from 10.4). I plan to reformat my drive when I do this. I have an iPod Touch and I am worried that all of my data will be lost. Is there anything I should do to prepare for this?

How does it work with my profile? After I reformat my drive, how do I get all my apps back as they were on my iPod?

I also plan to reformat my iPod Touch afterwards if all goes well with my OS 10.5 upgade. Is there anything special I need to do like backing up my profile?

Thanks.

iThinkergoiMac
Dec 18, 2010, 10:11 AM
Well, first things first. Reformatting your HDD will not erase your iPod. You will, of course, need to back up your iTunes folder but all your apps and stuff are in there. Once you have backed up everything you need, launch iTunes. Quit iTunes. Replace the newly-created iTunes folder with the one from Tiger. Launch iTunes again. Everything should be as it was. You may have to re-authorize your computer again, so I'd de-authorize it before you do the upgrade (that way you don't get a computer on your list of up to 5 that will never ever be used).

iTunes automatically backs up your iPod whenever you connect it, so before you do a restore, let it back up. Then hit restore. iTunes will ask you if you want to use the backup. Choose Yes. Let it restore. You'll have to manually restore your media (music, videos, etc), but depending on how you do it that may be very easy.

Floris
Dec 18, 2010, 10:13 AM
Upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 went flawless here on the powerbook g4. I don't see a need to reformat or whatever. I would just do: backup data, try upgrade, not happy? revert or fresh install.

Good luck with the update to leopard.

dandeco
Dec 19, 2010, 03:29 PM
When I received my 1.42 GHz eMac, it had Mac OS X Tiger preinstalled on it with no additional software, so I figured to make it more personalized I'd use my mid-2009 Mac Box Set and do a complete reformat and upgrade to Leopard! It has worked fine since.

I also got a PowerBook G4 this week (1.5 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB hard drive), but it didn't come with an operating system preinstalled. Even though it came with the gray install discs, they had Panther on them, and I wanted to stay somewhat up to date, so I used a clean install of Leopard on the machine. It worked just about perfectly.