Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcpacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
would you do some kind of home automation? I like the idea of Media Center right now (all tvs in the house access the same hard drive, etc), but would like a mac version. Also, what about temp and light control. Are there any experience users out there?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
pcpacker said:
would you do some kind of home automation? I like the idea of Media Center right now (all tvs in the house access the same hard drive, etc), but would like a mac version. Also, what about temp and light control. Are there any experience users out there?

To install a Media Centre for entertainment in your house it is recommended that you not only have ONE HDD running the show rather a server type solution, hook it up via WiFi, BlueTooth, and integrated RJ-45 connections via the house. <-- some newer houses have broadband connections pre-built into the walls. :)

If you want to have a Mac experience, you can Apple Script the applications for DVD player, iTunes. As far as controlling lights, fans, security you will have to plug it into electronic controllers which are hooked to your computer via switchers. This can all add up in an old house, on some new houses it already comes built in or you can request for it, its not as expensive if you were to do the same solution to an older house. Then again the price balances itself out in the end. :)

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
I would have 30" displays on every door and an iSight on the other side so I could see what is on the other side. These iSights are High Def. :D

And I know the doors would be pointless. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.