Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
Hey guys,

So recently I found a cheap powermac G5 on ebay and won the deal and all, but when the computer arrived it was horribly dented. It was packed with on piece of under a 1/2" Styrofoam. In the end I got a full refund for the computer and the seller just said that I could keep it if I want it. So I wanted the thing on my desk so I went ahead and bought another case for it. Now here's the question, has anyone done this or knows how to do this? I want to keep all of the internals inside for it not to become a month or so long project in my spare time. I am not sure on a tool that would let me get up into the edges. If you want to see some video of the unboxing of the case and at the end some footage of the dented one and how bad it is go here.

Thanks for any help and post questions if you have them down below.

AppleTech22

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
So what are you asking exactly? Just transfer the components into the new case. I don't see what the problem is here.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
US
So what are you asking exactly? Just transfer the components into the new case. I don't see what the problem is here.

If you were to read the post, I wanted a more hassle free way to do it. I don't want to be transferring hundreds of screws for a computer I got for free. I looked at it again and I decided to just sit it on it's side, like shown in the video, under my desk.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I've done it many times and it's pretty easy to do as long as you have all the right tools. I'd say the most challenging part is changing/replacing the top fan/HDD tray (which looks like you don't have to do.) Rerouting the door censor can sometimes be a pain too.

Shouldn't take you more than a few hours if you take your time.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
If you were to read the post, I wanted a more hassle free way to do it. I don't want to be transferring hundreds of screws for a computer I got for free.

Why did you buy a new case then (which is also broken)? :confused:

A more hassle free way to replace the case other than replacing it? Sorry, but I too don't get where you're going with this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.