Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InAppleHeaven

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
This question has probably already been answered 500 times on here, but couldnt find the answer. I have an AL PB 1.25. and want to add another 512 stick of ram. Where is the best place to get a stick of ram, besides the apple store (which is $300 on there). I was checking out bestbuy and compusa. Any suggestions on what type to buy? kensington, etc. Most I have found is around 120 bucks, but will they still work well with my installed 512 ram from apple? Also, I am looking for another battery. This one is about a year old, and wont hold a charge like it used to. Any place I could get one cheaper than from apple? I dont mind spending the money for a new battery, but im just asking. Thanks for any advice. (Southern All-Stars racing) SSMotorsports.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Which search function did you use? Make sure you use the "search" in the bar below the "Mac Rumors ... Page 2 ... Buyers Guide ... " etc. tabs.

Most people recommend Crucial. In fact, if you type in "Crucial RAM" as a search, you'll see zillions of threads.

I just got a 1 gig stick for my Powerbook, from outpost.com, and it works great. It was also really cheap -- just $149. A lot of people here have had good experiences with this RAM deal from Outpost.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
InAppleHeaven said:
I have an AL PB 1.25. and want to add another 512 stick of ram. Any suggestions on what type to buy? will they still work well with my installed 512 ram from apple? Also, I am looking for another battery.
What type: It is a PC2700 200 pin DDR SODIMM - but not all PC2700 SODIMMs are Mac compatible.

Buy it from a seller who guarantees compatibility with the Powerbook and who offers a lifetime warranty. Crucial is popular choice for those who don't want to shop around, but they tend to be on the high side for price. Kingston is also a popular brand but they are higher than Crucial. A module from a reputable seller will be compatible with the existing Apple RAM.

Assuming you're in the USA, I like Data Memory Systems US$93 for the 512 Mb http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1153.
I have dealt with them for 5 years.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.