Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heady

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2010
One of my greatest hopes for Lion is a full support for theming/skins. (Wishful thinking, I know)
If Steve decides to sanction *any* theming at all, how far do you think it would go? Full UI overhaul? Changed menu bar color?
Thoughts?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Historically Apple hasn't enabled skinning or theming in OS X, beyond changing some colors and your desktop photo. I imagine they'll continue that trend.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Plus you can replace any icon you like.

p.s. I never understood skinning/theme thing.
I mean someone good enough to put together a non-crap Theme should be far to busy making buckets of money in a software development company

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Historically Apple hasn't enabled skinning or theming in OS X, beyond changing some colors and your desktop photo. I imagine they'll continue that trend.

This is what I expect as well. If they implement any sort of theming, expect it to be a simple flip between two possibilities, light and dark or something along those lines. Not full customization (look at how they do the Aqua or Graphite "themes" for the buttons and scroll bars now).

jW

Azoox

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
Rhode Island
I would actually like to see themes and skins. I never understood why that should be so big of a deal. As much as gray is a useful color when I deal with photography, it becomes boring and I'd like to be able to have a bit more to choose from than blue and graphite. In this sense, Windows makes life a lot easier.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I would actually like to see themes and skins. I never understood why that should be so big of a deal. As much as gray is a useful color when I deal with photography, it becomes boring and I'd like to be able to have a bit more to choose from than blue and graphite. In this sense, Windows makes life a lot easier.

You do realize your post (or rather, the color, font, and size you chose) is a wonderful example of why choice isn't always a good thing. Try posting in a more readable font in the future please, for all our sakes.

jW

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Toy+Story+Window+7+Theme.jpg

That's why it's not coming to OS X :p

Joewebster

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York
Toy+Story+Window+7+Theme.jpg

That's why it's not coming to OS X :p

That's an example of going overboard. Although, to whoever made that skin, maybe they liked the way it looks. If anything more choice would bring more customers to Apple. People like customization, it makes them feel special ;)

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
That's an example of going overboard. Although, to whoever made that skin, maybe they liked the way it looks. If anything more choice would bring more customers to Apple. People like customization, it makes them feel special ;)

I hope to god apple never. ever. ever. allows theming. All the themes for Windows look ugly, including the standard ones.... Im sorry, but if you let the Mac be themed, you end up with ugly inelegant desktops - and apple is all about beauty, simplicity and elegance. Not about user customization.

Joewebster

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2010
New York
I hope to god apple never. ever. ever. allows theming. All the themes for Windows look ugly, including the standard ones.... Im sorry, but if you let the Mac be themed, you end up with ugly inelegant desktops - and apple is all about beauty, simplicity and elegance. Not about user customization.

I'll agree with you that most windows themes are ugly, but I'd say at least one in ten themes is simply gorgeous. Have you ever seen the rainmeter project?

Also, just because there is optional theming, doesn't mean you have to partake in it. Customization is a great thing, and you'll see a lot of great contributions. Although you may have to weed through a bunch of crappy ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.