PDA

View Full Version : Stinky iBook

DELKIN
Jan 23, 2005, 11:24 PM
I have a really old white iBook that I have stripped down and just use for wireless internet. Some how the iBook picked up this funky smell. I have pulled the keyboard and battery and cleaned all the surfaces but the damn thing still smells. Does anyone have any ideas how to defunkify this machine? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks...

Mechcozmo
Jan 24, 2005, 12:03 AM
Don't use any liquids. You might destroy it.

Let it sit for a few hours, all opened up, with a fan blowing over the components. That might help.

Finiksa
Jan 24, 2005, 12:14 AM
I've heard of a similar problem with some older snow iBooks. If the cause is the same in yours then it's the keyboard that is creating the smell. If I remember correctly (and it's been a while) it's some kind of glue emitting the smell.

The only real solution would be to replace the keyboard, try calling Apple I'd say it's a potential health hazard.

DELKIN
Jan 24, 2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the info. It is a really old snow iBook so maybe it is the glue on the keyboard. Looks like I will be getting a new one...
Thanks again...

SiliconAddict
Jan 24, 2005, 11:34 AM
If I had to guess one of the little gnomes in the battery pack has died. This is why Apple recommends removing the battery for extended lengths of time. They don’t know to stop using the hand crank and invariable die. The smell is pretty nasty. The best option is to get a new battery with Apple’s new gnome 2.0 spec. ;)

arnette
Jan 24, 2005, 02:05 PM
I've heard of this before and it turned out that the sauder was to blame for the bad smell. I'm not sure if it was keyboard-related or not.

Get some Glade in the meantime, but you might want to plunk down 70 bucks on ebay for a new keyboard and try that out.