Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Before one had to own the app in order to be able to write a review for it. Now, not anymore.

Be careful not to re-buy an app that you've never bought. Also, expect a flood of fake/unfair reviews (yet again).

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Could someone else test this on their iPhone for me, please. I've just tried it with, literally, 20 apps that I've never owned, and it let me review them just fine. Did a restore on my iPhone. Same thing still happening. Weird. :confused:

leemurrayking

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
This is strange as i have an app, (from promo codes) and shows installed on the app store but when i finish writting a review it says i must own the app before i can leave a review.
Will sync with itunes tonight and see if still the same.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
Ok, I have figured this out: before, in order to verify your app ownership, all you had to do is tap on the 'write a review' button and the store would tell you whether or not you own it. Now, there's an extra step, which is rate an app and then tap on the 'submit' button. Kinda PITA if you ask me. But whatever.

P.S. Sorry for the false alarm.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This is strange as i have an app, (from promo codes) and shows installed on the app store but when i finish writting a review it says i must own the app before i can leave a review.
Will sync with itunes tonight and see if still the same.

I've had that one too.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Is Apple pre-viewing reviews now? I reviewed an app a few hours ago and the review didn't show up yet. I thought I noticed something about Apple reviewing the review for appropriateness?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.