PDA

View Full Version : Is a PowerMac G5 still worth much?

bass93
Dec 20, 2010, 08:17 PM
I found a guy that is selling a PowerMac G5. It's a dual 1.8Ghz with a 120GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM. He said that he just bought the hard drive and RAM for it, and reinstalled Leopard and a version of iLife. He also said he has a 19" Apple CRT Monitor, keyboard and mouse. He'll also throw in some audio recording software and a peripheral for it. (Forget what he said it was)

He was asking $400 for it. I offered him a PlayStation 2, two home theater speakers, and $50. He said he'd take it. Is it worth buying this, since you can't upgrade these machines past Leopard?

I thought about buying it for my father, since his computer is slow. He uses QuickBooks for his business, and that would cost him $175 which he can't justify right now. So, what should I do? I don't want to get it for him, and him not be able to use it. Any suggestions? Is this a fair trade?

simsaladimbamba
Dec 20, 2010, 08:35 PM
Seems a bit much: http://www.mac2sell.net/permalink/?id=20c366981defd78d4d610ba8f6861d83
Are the proper licenses of the software included?
What keyboard and mouse are included?

Also think about the power bill, a used Mac mini, even an older Core Duo would be much more power efficient and cheaper in the long run than this okay machine.

dukebound85
Dec 20, 2010, 08:37 PM
I agree, too much. You can find intel machines for less than that

bass93
Dec 20, 2010, 08:47 PM
Okay, well the speakers that I have were free. And I'd only get about $50-75 out of the PS2. So can I get a Core Duo Mac Mini for less than $150? Cuz I'd only be putting $100-125 into this G5.

Not sure about mouse and keyboard.

cocacolakid
Dec 20, 2010, 09:11 PM
Okay, well the speakers that I have were free. And I'd only get about $50-75 out of the PS2. So can I get a Core Duo Mac Mini for less than $150? Cuz I'd only be putting $100-125 into this G5.

Not sure about mouse and keyboard.

I've watched eBay for months on Mac's, especially Intel Mac Mini's. Core Duo's seem to run $350+, unless somebody lists one with a crazy low buy it now price. The online Mac shops seem to be the same price or higher, unless someone here can point out a better alternative.

$400 cash for a dual 1.8 G5 is high. Again, on eBay you can get them around $250+ (including shipping).

bass93
Dec 20, 2010, 10:13 PM
I've watched eBay for months on Mac's, especially Intel Mac Mini's. Core Duo's seem to run $350+, unless somebody lists one with a crazy low buy it now price. The online Mac shops seem to be the same price or higher, unless someone here can point out a better alternative.

$400 cash for a dual 1.8 G5 is high. Again, on eBay you can get them around $250+ (including shipping).

Okay. I'll just wait then. Thanks for the input guys! :)

tom vilsack
Dec 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
your not really paying 400

-ps2=$60 ebay
-speakers=??? (see in flee markets for almost nothing)
-$50 cash

total=$110-$150

i would take that trade

raysfan81
Dec 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
That trade you mentioned seems to be a good deal for you but I definitely wouldn't pay $400 for a dual 1.8.

Hrududu
Dec 22, 2010, 03:33 PM
I paid less than $400 total for 2 Dual 2.0GHz G5 towers. Its not a good deal. If it were 2.3GHz or faster with 4+GB of RAM, then that would be a little more reasonable.

Justinz
Dec 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
I found a guy that is selling a PowerMac G5. It's a dual 1.8Ghz with a 120GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM. He said that he just bought the hard drive and RAM for it, and reinstalled Leopard and a version of iLife. He also said he has a 19" Apple CRT Monitor, keyboard and mouse. He'll also throw in some audio recording software and a peripheral for it. (Forget what he said it was)

He was asking $400 for it. I offered him a PlayStation 2, two home theater speakers, and $50. He said he'd take it. Is it worth buying this, since you can't upgrade these machines past Leopard?

I thought about buying it for my father, since his computer is slow. He uses QuickBooks for his business, and that would cost him $175 which he can't justify right now. So, what should I do? I don't want to get it for him, and him not be able to use it. Any suggestions? Is this a fair trade?

If you ask me. I think it should be $350. Since its still a PPC. He most probably wont get $400 from a lot of people. He is asking for a bit much. In my opinion.