PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone 4 Ad: Under The Covers

MacRumors
Dec 20, 2010, 09:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/12/20/new-iphone-4-ad-under-the-covers/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_vGH96kfM0

Apple has posted a new iPhone 4 advertisement tonight. This one is a holiday themed FaceTime ad showing a son talking to his father dressed as Santa Claus.

Article Link: New iPhone 4 Ad: Under The Covers (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/12/20/new-iphone-4-ad-under-the-covers/)

shartypants
Dec 20, 2010, 09:26 PM
Cute. A kid with his own iPhone, must be nice! :D

Sminman86
Dec 20, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm assuming that was the mother's iPhone.

I bet she just let her son Facetime with "Santa" until he fell asleep, then went back for her iPhone later that night.

I think it's a great commercial for the holidays. There will be a ton of Facetiming Christmas morning!!

Merry Christmas!

franzmueller
Dec 20, 2010, 10:11 PM
Sweet commercial ....

Alvi
Dec 20, 2010, 10:40 PM
Oh noes! Apple is destroying all the Magic to only leave theirs!

They just revealed that the actual santa claus is the dad in the garage... no more magic for the kids :(

bretm
Dec 20, 2010, 10:48 PM
Oh noes! Apple is destroying all the Magic to only leave theirs!

They just revealed that the actual santa claus is the dad in the garage... no more magic for the kids :(

You know it's true though. Now that I have a 3 year old, and he's getting the whole Santa thing, you really have to watch it. And sitcoms are full of this kind of stuff about tricking kids and dad playing Santa, etc. Do they think my kid goes to bed a 6? It's everywhere. And I suppose it was when I was a kid. But the truth is they see something like this and you just tell them Daddy was playing a joke, he's not really Santa! And they laugh, and say yeah, his Dad isn't Santa! What's the alternative? Not get presents?

xyz1534
Dec 20, 2010, 11:02 PM
Cute commercial

SirOmega
Dec 20, 2010, 11:47 PM
You know it's true though. Now that I have a 3 year old, and he's getting the whole Santa thing, you really have to watch it. And sitcoms are full of this kind of stuff about tricking kids and dad playing Santa, etc. Do they think my kid goes to bed a 6? It's everywhere. And I suppose it was when I was a kid. But the truth is they see something like this and you just tell them Daddy was playing a joke, he's not really Santa! And they laugh, and say yeah, his Dad isn't Santa! What's the alternative? Not get presents?

Its like the kids see all the Santas in the malls and such but you know thats not Santa, but they still believe.

freedevil
Dec 21, 2010, 09:01 AM
Stewie: OMG Brian isn't it awesome how santa picks our small little town every year to visit.

reckless2k2
Dec 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
Is this an Apple or AT&T commercial? They show AT&T at the end and you can't facetime over the AT&T network.

azentropy
Dec 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
So a commercial showing how parents can use technology to deceive their child - nice! ;-)

bbotte
Dec 21, 2010, 11:29 AM
Also you can't face time under the covers with no light for the camera. It will never look that good.

eyehop
Dec 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
Could you include the link to the original video next to the embedded video in the post, for those of us who don't have flash installed? Thanks

Artofilm
Dec 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
Also you can't face time under the covers with no light for the camera. It will never look that good.

I take it you've tried?
I think with the phone on 100% brightness it should be ok.

lilcosco08
Dec 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
I take it you've tried?
I think with the phone on 100% brightness it should be ok.

100% brightness+darkness=ARRRGGGJARAWWHAWEUJ MY EYES

caliguy
Dec 21, 2010, 03:33 PM
Yeah it's fake. You can totally tell it's the dad and not the real Santa Claus. Look at the beard.

the Helix
Dec 21, 2010, 04:57 PM
What a nice commercial. Merry Christmas everyone!

vincenz
Dec 21, 2010, 05:13 PM
Stop deluding the kids!!! :eek::eek::eek:

appleguy123
Dec 21, 2010, 06:07 PM

Don't make this thread go into the PRSI!

MauiMac
Dec 21, 2010, 06:55 PM

Repo
Dec 21, 2010, 07:21 PM
Lol @ the mom at the end.

cornelius1
Dec 21, 2010, 10:50 PM
Stop deluding the kids!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Exactly!

nlivo
Dec 22, 2010, 07:32 AM
what a stupid commercial. you're all only liking it either because it's apple and an iphone, because of that "sweet" music, or because of the "cute" kid.

if the dad's dressed up as santa, why the hell wouldn't he go and see the kid in real life, rather than just on a measly 3.5" screen. in that case you could just chuck the beard and the hat on and your set.

..and don't say because he's pretending to be in the north pole. no parent would realistically go to the trouble to setup a fake santa's workshop, dress up as santa, all just for a quick 5 min facetime with the son.

apple..you're getting further and further away from reality, and you're bringing all of your fanboy's with you.

Dr McKay
Dec 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
Who is that man, and why is he pretending to be Santa!?!

Im confused and scared!

pMad
Dec 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
what a stupid commercial. you're all only liking it either because it's apple and an iphone, because of that "sweet" music, or because of the "cute" kid.

if the dad's dressed up as santa, why the hell wouldn't he go and see the kid in real life, rather than just on a measly 3.5" screen. in that case you could just chuck the beard and the hat on and your set.

..and don't say because he's pretending to be in the north pole. no parent would realistically go to the trouble to setup a fake santa's workshop, dress up as santa, all just for a quick 5 min facetime with the son.

apple..you're getting further and further away from reality, and you're bringing all of your fanboy's with you.

I assume you do not have children.

Two points:

1. Parents will go through an awful lot of work to bring happiness to their child.
2. Part of the Magic of Santa is that you can't see him on Christmas. He's too busy. The phone keeps with that magic. Also, my kids would believe I'm Santa over video, but if I sat next to them dressed as Santa, they'd know it was me in a heartbeat.

JaSuS
Dec 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=nlivo;11607507]what a stupid commercial. you're all only liking it either because it's apple and an iphone, because of that "sweet" music, or because of the "cute" kid.

apple..you're getting further and further away from reality, and you're bringing all of your fanboy's with you.[/

Sad For You Aussie!

Bigcase
Dec 22, 2010, 10:43 AM
Wait... So Santa is not real?

res1233
Dec 22, 2010, 07:40 PM
Wait... So Santa is not real?

No, he's real. He comes down your chimney (assuming you have one, if you don't have one, then he walks in the front door), he steals your milk and cookies, and the dude then feels bad about breaking and entering and stealing your food, so he leaves gifts as compensation. That's the new santa. :D:D

jll62
Dec 23, 2010, 12:26 PM

Um, yes, many of us would do exactly that.

aimeeinohio
Dec 23, 2010, 01:29 PM
:)If this stuff had been around when my kids were itty bitty, I woulda done it. I think it's very sweet!

mainstreetmark
Dec 23, 2010, 04:59 PM

This is one of the most passively angry posts I've seen on MR, which is the home of passively angry people.

I suspect you don't have kids, or your parents never did this kind of stuff for you when you were growing up. Childhood memories like this are quite nice. Go drink some eggnog. Sheesh.

scaredpoet
Jan 1, 2011, 07:18 PM

Considering that this is why Apple's advertising firm picked the music and cast the cute kid, yes, that's exactly why you're supposed to like the commercial. Liking the commercial means you're more apt to remember it, and the message it is trying to convey. If they need to push people's buttons emotionally to get to you remember the ad, they will.

That's the whole point of advertising. And if you like Apple, that doesn't hurt, either.

Finding a Santa suit and getting in the thing, then stringing a few lights around the garage isn't much of a stretch, actually. My dad did something similar once, for myself and later on for my younger sibling, and even ended up playing Santa for a nearby store for a couple of evenings since he already had the gear, and he had a ball doing it. And he did it during a time when things weren't going so well for a while, and the family was short on cash. It was a morale lifter, and it worked. I remember it as my best childhood Christmas ever, even compared to earlier and later years when things were much better for us.

Many parents go through far more effort than this, throughout the entire year, to keep their kids happy. Perhaps your parents didn't bother to do any of these things for you. If that's the case, then I truly feel sorry for you.

Directly addressing Apple in your post, as if you expect them to read this forum, agree with you and act accordingly, is about as foolish as writing a letter to Santa Claus. But I guess if you don't believe that parents do things like this for their kids during the holidays, then I guess you need to believe in something, right?

RenoG
Jan 18, 2011, 02:06 PM
Its just one of those lies that many many parents will continue to perpetuate, much like the tooth ferry who since retired as you don't hear about her as much as you did 30+ yrs ago.

marshallbedsaul
Jan 18, 2011, 11:26 PM
oh apple and your ways to target the cuteness of a child with a iphone. And set new standards

Swaggar
Feb 9, 2011, 04:48 AM
It was really a wonderful commercial made for I-phone 4...

zirconiawoods
Feb 18, 2011, 02:05 AM
what a sweet commercial, it catches people's heart

likeray
Mar 13, 2011, 12:48 AM
Use family bond to sell more iPhones, good job Apple!