Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Hi, I have a PowerMac G4 I'd like to use as an "experimental" backup machine. I am looking to try and make a RAID setup in it, and I'm no expert with that. I'm wondering if this is even possible, first. I'm also wondering if I can do this with 2 40 gb drives and a 20 gb drive. I want to make it so it appears as 1 drive. I'd be using tiger and a software RAID if that is of any relevance. Thanks!

Specs:
500 MHz PowerPC G4
640 MB SDRAM
No hard drives currently

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
But remember: it's like RAID 0 - one of HDDs will die - your data is gone. It isn't reliable solution for backups. Especially if you use old, used HDDs (40 & 20GB aren't manufactured from some time AFAIK).

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Here is step by step from apple.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1013.html

You want to go with the concatenated

Thanks for that link!

But remember: it's like RAID 0 - one of HDDs will die - your data is gone. It isn't reliable solution for backups. Especially if you use old, used HDDs (40 & 20GB aren't manufactured from some time AFAIK).

I know the risks, I just want to use it as an experimental backup. I already have a "real" backup.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Keep us posted. I want to do a raid in my QS with two 1tb sata drives

I will, I'm planning on doing it on Christmas. Will my power supply even support this many drives? Could it support another one with an ATA card or something?

occams razor

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
It should support 3 hard drives total. You can get aWay with 4 if you remove the optical drive. Anymore then that and you will be seriously taxing the ps. If it were me I would also remove the video card after I set it up and just remote login to it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.