PDA

View Full Version : Need help clarifying "Root Administrative Account"

SCANALES
Dec 21, 2010, 05:27 AM
Recently I acquired this Apple PowerMac G5 with OS X 10.4 and I am confused about the way Mac have the users with Administrative privileges. The problem I have is that when I received this computer I didn't have the password to get in the computer then I searched in the internet and gave me the tip how to gain access using some "tricks" when the computer is booting and sign in as a single user and change the password using the "root" account...well I was able to get in the computer but I kept using the PC as a "root user" I installed several programs under this "root" sign on and now I have read that I shouldn't have the root access open....so my main question will be if I can create a secondary account and still be able to use the programs I already installed and also having Itunes share the music I already have under Itunes using the "root account".

I know is a mess but when you change from Windows to Mac is confusing the procedures and also several of the utility programs I can't find them in the utility folder programs like NetInfo Manager or when I click on the icon for the terminal to open it, simply don't do nothing, so I just wondering if that program is install it at all?

Thank You for all the help and information you can give me at this time in order to solve this situation. :apple: