Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hi all,

finally bought my ipad !!! So happy !

It came with iOS 3.2.1

Several questions :

If i'm not mistaken, iOS 3.2.1 is not the last version of 3.x (it's 3.2.2 I think ?) Am I right ?

I see I need to backup my "SHSH" . What is it exactly and what is the best way (mac or pc) to do it ?

Do I need to backup the whole iOS if I upgrade to 4.2.1 and want to revert back ?

jailbreak 4.2.1 is still tethered right ?

thanks !

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
OK...let's get all this mess a bit straight

You are on 3.2.1 which you can JB just going to Jailbreakme.com

The lastest firmware is 4.2.1

You cannot longer backup any other SHSH than 4.2.1, Apple stop signing SHSHS the moment it release new firmware. (actually there is a few days windows) but you are too late to save 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 or 4.2beta

You can save 4.2.1 right now (and it is always good to save whatever you can when you can).

If something goes wrong and you need to restore you can only restore to 4.2.1

And yes. 4.2.1 is still tethered as right now.

Dentifrice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
OK...let's get all this mess a bit straight

You are on 3.2.1 which you can JB just going to Jailbreakme.com

The lastest firmware is 4.2.1

You cannot longer backup any other SHSH than 4.2.1, Apple stop signing SHSHS the moment it release new firmware. (actually there is a few days windows) but you are too late to save 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 or 4.2beta

You can save 4.2.1 right now (and it is always good to save whatever you can when you can).

If something goes wrong and you need to restore you can only restore to 4.2.1

And yes. 4.2.1 is still tethered as right now.

thank you ! now I understand !

edit :
is it possible for me to update to 3.2.2 ? I suppose I can't because it's not signed anymore ?

Last edited:

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
thank you ! now I understand !

edit :
is it possible for me to update to 3.2.2 ? I suppose I can't because it's not signed anymore ?

There's absolutely no point. All 3.2.2 did was fix the jailbreak exploit on 3.2.1. Aside from that they are identical. And of course, you can't without SHSHs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.