Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dashdagh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
I have a Macbook Air (Late 2008 model) and it's been a few days that the Battery is not charging anymore. The Battery icon says "Not Charging".

I checked the battery health information under System Profiler and it says Cycle Count = 156. Condition: Normal.

I tried all of these but didn't help:
- Hard Shut Down
- Reset PRAM
- Reset SMC
- Tried cleaning my MegaSafe adapter. Used a different adapter.

Finally took it to Apple to see what the problem is. They guy used his charger and it didn't work. Ran a diagnostic test and saw everything was fine. He said the motherboard needs to be changed and it cost 299. I told him just to make sure it's the motherboard, put a new battery in there see if that fixes it and he tried and it did fix it but that cost was 180 and I said I can't afford it.

Now I'm just wondering if the problem is really with the battery and the System profiler and the diag. tests are both wrong or it's something else.

Any suggestions on what else can be done is highly appreciated.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I have a Macbook Air (Late 2008 model) and it's been a few days that the Battery is not charging anymore. The Battery icon says "Not Charging".

I checked the battery health information under System Profiler and it says Cycle Count = 156. Condition: Normal.

I tried all of these but didn't help:
- Hard Shut Down
- Reset PRAM
- Reset SMC
- Tried cleaning my MegaSafe adapter. Used a different adapter.

Finally took it to Apple to see what the problem is. They guy used his charger and it didn't work. Ran a diagnostic test and saw everything was fine. He said the motherboard needs to be changed and it cost 299. I told him just to make sure it's the motherboard, put a new battery in there see if that fixes it and he tried and it did fix it but that cost was 180 and I said I can't afford it.

Now I'm just wondering if the problem is really with the battery and the System profiler and the diag. tests are both wrong or it's something else.

Any suggestions on what else can be done is highly appreciated.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

If that's the case, then just buy a new a battery and install it yourself. It's actually very easy. Just follow the tutorial on ifixit.com.

The battery can be had for about $50 on ebay...

dashdagh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
If that's the case, then just buy a new a battery and install it yourself. It's actually very easy. Just follow the tutorial on ifixit.com.

The battery can be had for about $50 on ebay...

Yeah that was going to be my last option. I was just wanted to try every possible solution before buying a new battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.