PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express/Extreme

MacMyDay
Jan 24, 2005, 11:05 AM
I've decided to go wireless in my house, thus will go with the standard Apple products, simply because I'm either a) a zealot or b) I love'em, so simply have to ask a really daft question: what's the difference between the two? I'll be having a maximum ever of 2 computers on the network and will need to plug a USB SpeedTouch modem into the base station to be able to connect to the net (I assume this is a common procedure) as it doesn't have a built-in ADSL modem. So, that's pretty much it. Will the Express therefore be able to do this?

emw
Jan 24, 2005, 11:16 AM
If I understand correctly, you have an ADSL modem that only has USB connectivity. If this is the case, then neither the Extreme Base Station nor the Express will support that connection - they need ethernet connectivity to the WAN. The USB port is only for a printer connection.

You will need to have an Ethernet connection to your ADSL modem in order for the Extreme or Express to connect. If you have the ethernet connection, then either one should work okay for you.

Applespider
Jan 24, 2005, 11:26 AM
If you want to use Apple products, then you'll need to invest in a new ADSL ethernet modem as emw said above. There are a variety of them around at various price ranges. I have one from adslnation.co.uk which has been very reliable and comes with good OS X instructions.

If you are going to buy a new ADSL modem in any case, you might want to look at going the non-Apple route on the wireless router too. You can get an ADSL wireless modem/router for under 100 now and you'll end up paying 99 for the Express plus whatever for your new modem.

Having said that, I'm very glad I have my Express. I love AirTunes and the fact that I can plug a printer into it without any hassle.

MacMyDay
Jan 24, 2005, 11:26 AM
Oh, so when it says "And it comes complete with all the connectivity you need including ports for a ADSL or cable modem or a local area network....." it's not entirely accurate? How do other people go about getting on the net with an Airport Base Station then? I guess I'd just be better off buying a base station with an ASDL modem in if that's the case. They're cheaper too

emw
Jan 24, 2005, 11:45 AM
Oh, so when it says "And it comes complete with all the connectivity you need including ports for a ADSL or cable modem or a local area network....." it's not entirely accurate? How do other people go about getting on the net with an Airport Base Station then? I guess I'd just be better off buying a base station with an ASDL modem in if that's the case. They're cheaper tooWell, technically it says ports for "DSL" not "ADSL," at least here in the US ;)

I would follow the suggestion above and purchase an all-in-one ADSL modem/router/wireless router. In the end it will likely be less expensive, albeit somewhat less cool.

MacMyDay
Jan 24, 2005, 11:50 AM
Well, technically it says ports for "DSL" not "ADSL," at least here in the US ;)

I would follow the suggestion above and purchase an all-in-one ADSL modem/router/wireless router. In the end it will likely be less expensive, albeit somewhat less cool.

http://www.apple.com/uk/airportextreme/ ;)

Anyway, I've been browsing.....but I can't bring myself to do it. They're so damn ugly! I'll go browsing for a modem and get the Express. Can you just please tell me the exact thing I'm looking for and then that'll be all?

Thanks for all the info

Applespider
Jan 24, 2005, 12:28 PM
Oh, so when it says "And it comes complete with all the connectivity you need including ports for a ADSL modem

Well, it is accurate - if you have an ethernet ADSL modem. Most cable modems come with ethernet as standard and PC users have to jump through appropriate hoops. Many older PCs didn't come with ethernet built-in so most of the UK ISPs went with USB modems instead. Hence some hassle for those of us who'd rather use ethernet ones.

You need to get an ADSL modem that has ethernet out basically.

This is the one that I have
http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xmodem-ce.php

Here are some uglier/cheaper ones from a quick Kelkoo search
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/ctl/do/search?siteSearchQuery=ethernet+adsl+modem&x=28&y=10

Don't get too caught up by ugliness - these things don't have to be prominently placed on your desk - mine are hidden behind the curtains

varmit
Jan 24, 2005, 01:25 PM
Oh, so when it says "And it comes complete with all the connectivity you need including ports for a ADSL or cable modem or a local area network....." it's not entirely accurate? How do other people go about getting on the net with an Airport Base Station then? I guess I'd just be better off buying a base station with an ASDL modem in if that's the case. They're cheaper too

Another thing is, is that you will get a faster connection by using a DSL modem that supports ethernet. Plus, I don't believe that there is a router out there that has support for USB DSL modems. Most if not all are just ethernet base since its faster and its pretty much has become the standard for connecting networks, such as you home network to the internet. Getting the Express will mean you can carry it with you when you want to travel, plus it can have some good functionallity when it comes to music, that is if your sterio is near where you have your DSL modem.