PDA

View Full Version : list of Good games Playable on Mac Mini

IGetAMiniMac
Jan 24, 2005, 12:47 PM
I'm purchasing the mac mini 1.4 G4, 80 gig and was hoping someone whose had a mac for a while now might be able to help me find some playable games for the NEW MAC MINI before i go purchasing crap that looks cool on the box. I've been a PC user all my life and I've jsut recently gotten a bit into games.(UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2K4(best one i've played yet)) Think this will work on it? I have seen some people talk about it running on their old g4 notebooks, but no one had a 9200 or more specifically the MAC MINI itself.

Also, any insight into how important getting 1 gig ram might be over 512(game wise).

thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 24, 2005, 01:09 PM
You can go to apple games page or inside Mac Games etc. Just look at system specs almost all games except the few very newest. Doom3,World of Warcraft. If it didnt just come out it most likely will play though you may have to turn a few things down for the video 9200. Just dont expect to be playing at 1280x1024. My son just ran through Halo on my G4 1.4 Geforce3 machine and i expect this to be close with its faster bus but lesser video
edit go here (http://www.apple.com/games) .

Jaffa Cake
Jan 24, 2005, 01:20 PM
Aspyr have an app you can download from their site called Game Agent (http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/aga/), which automatically checks your Mac's specs and tells you what games should run well on your set up. Of course, it only does this for their games but it might be worth a look!

IGetAMiniMac
Jan 24, 2005, 01:23 PM
thanks much you two. Anyone have a MINI and attempted any newer games?

applekid
Jan 24, 2005, 01:36 PM
That extra 512 MB might give you marginal benefits. The recommended RAM amount is 512 MB of RAM. But, more is always nicer :)

I'll name some old classics to get things started:
- Medal of Honor (and expansions, Aspyr is selling a package that includes all expansions now)
- The Sims and expansions (if you're into that)
- Ghost Recon
- WarCraft 3
- StarCraft
- Age of Empires II
- Age of Mythology
- Dungeon Siege
- Jedi Knight 2
- Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
- Star Wars Galatic Battlegrounds
- Any game from Freeverse, DanLabGames, AmbrosiaSW

I don't know how hard you can push that Radoen 9200 with its 32 MB of VRAM. It's my fantasy to get to HD T.V. resolutions and be able to play games on the full TV resolution at full speed, but I doubt that's possible with any of the recent games. Anyways, the games I listed are a few years old.

tom.96
Jan 24, 2005, 01:46 PM
Just a thought...

You want to play excellent Mac games - so do I. There are tons out there that don't need huge computing power. While its nice to have awesome graphics, don't forget that companies like www.mcsebi.com offer very good games at brilliant prices. http://www.freeverse.com/ is also worth a look - they are excellent too.

There are also lots of other 'older' games that are just as fun to play on your mac. Its worth a look....

Lord Blackadder
Jan 24, 2005, 02:22 PM
I play the following games on my Powermac G4 (see sig):

-Return to Castle Wolfenstein
-Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
-Unreal Tournament 99
-Majesty
-Warcraft 3
-Myth II: Soulblighter
-Call of Duty: United Offensive

All run perfectly except Call of Duty, which should run much better with the Mini's faster G4. Right now my Radeon 9600 isn't doing much because my CPU's are too slow, so your having a 9200 shouldn't hurt performance with these games.

Doom 3, World of Wacraft, and Halo will not run acceptably. Unreal Tournament 2004 ran decent with the settings turned down on my brother's 12" 1.33 GHz Powerbook but that computer had a GeForce5200, so it's probably a no-go on the Mac Mini as well.

IGetAMiniMac
Jan 24, 2005, 02:29 PM
alright I'm good to go, hope this MAC OS is as good as Jobs' made it out to be.

Draft
Jan 27, 2005, 04:41 PM
What about Snood? Snood is the most addictive game of all time. Nearly any mac can run it. Best of all, it's only $14.95:

http://www.snood.com/

pgc6000
Jan 27, 2005, 05:14 PM
Here are a list of games that run well on my iBook. It's a 933 MHz G4 with 640 MB of RAM and 32 MB of VRAM

1. Call of Duty (runs close to perfectly)
2. Halo (it's only playable at lower resolutions, but if you toy with settings you can get it to run very well, despite all the complaints)
3. Age of Mythlogy (no prob;ems running it at all. Perfect gameplay.)
4. Medal of Honor:AA (This an older game, but it's extremely fun and will run fine)
5. Age of Empires II (anchient game, but it's still worth picking up)
6. Rise of Nations (I don't like this game, but others love it and it ran fine on my iBook)

The game I have had the most trouble with is Call of Duty: UO. At times the framerates aren't very pretty.

You should also be able to run pretty much anything that came out in 2004. Any of the MoH games, any of the Tom Clancy games, and there are a lot more.

rdowns
Jan 27, 2005, 06:25 PM
You can go to apple games page or inside Mac Games etc. Just look at system specs almost all games except the few very newest. Doom3,World of Warcraft. If it didnt just come out it most likely will play though you may have to turn a few things down for the video 9200. Just dont expect to be playing at 1280x1024. My son just ran through Halo on my G4 1.4 Geforce3 machine and i expect this to be close with its faster bus but lesser video
edit go here (http://www.apple.com/games) .

OK, Who are you and what did you do wiith DontHurtMe?

kingtj
Jan 27, 2005, 06:40 PM
Has anyone tried overclocking their Radeon 9200 video in their Mac Mini to get a little better frame rates for the "borderline" games?

I just tried it with mine, but haven't really tested it out enough yet to tell if it's going to help much or not.

(I just tried out MTX Motocross though, and it seems to play perfectly on my 1.42Ghz Mac Mini w/512MB RAM.)

chanoc
Jan 27, 2005, 09:33 PM
Max Payne (http://www.apple.com/games/articles/2002/07/maxpayne/) :cool:

jaw04005
Jan 27, 2005, 10:41 PM
Sim City 4

Just kidding. ;)

Veldek
Jan 28, 2005, 01:16 AM
Battlefield 1942 and Warcraft 3 should also run good.

GonzoRob
Jan 28, 2005, 01:18 AM
Has anyone tried overclocking their Radeon 9200 video in their Mac Mini to get a little better frame rates for the "borderline" games?

I just tried it with mine, but haven't really tested it out enough yet to tell if it's going to help much or not.

(I just tried out MTX Motocross though, and it seems to play perfectly on my 1.42Ghz Mac Mini w/512MB RAM.)

good point - is there a nvidia overclocker for those with 12" PB's ?

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 28, 2005, 07:00 AM
OK, Who are you and what did you do wiith DontHurtMe?Its ....dddifficult ,ccant hhelp myself...resistance is, is Futile! you will be assimilated into MiniMac collective. ;) I went around looking at specs of games and like stated earlier the only ones that wont run on this thing is Doom3 and World of warcraft. I can live with that plus this thing is going to save me a ton of money and i can reclaim my desk! Long Live the Mini! Resistance is Futile.

brap
Jan 28, 2005, 07:54 AM
Postal 2 should run well, it does on my 12" PB. And oh such childish fun!

csubear
Jan 28, 2005, 08:23 AM
Save you self some moeny. There is only one game you need to buy, if you can buy it at all anymore. World Of Warcraft. I got 3 games for X-mas, 2 are still in there plastic wraping.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 28, 2005, 08:39 AM
Subscriptions stink? its like renting music. Gag!

csubear
Jan 28, 2005, 09:15 AM
Subscriptions stink? its like renting music. Gag!

have you play it?

Symtex
Jan 28, 2005, 09:16 AM
Save you self some moeny. There is only one game you need to buy, if you can buy it at all anymore. World Of Warcraft. I got 3 games for X-mas, 2 are still in there plastic wraping.

World of warcraft is one of the best game I ever played. It's worth the subscription.

Lord Blackadder
Jan 28, 2005, 09:41 AM

From what I've read it will make little difference and is rather risky. Bump the RAM instead, or wait for a rev. B. mini ;)

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 28, 2005, 09:42 AM
I have not played it. not into those rpgs. my son likes warcraft3 but come on why the subscription? warcraft3 did fine without one didnt it? Which should play just fine on a mini i might add. Point you dont play power games for nothing in the PC world and you wont in the mac either. Buy more juice? Im waiting for UT the original to be released in OSX and that will scream on a mini.

csubear
Jan 28, 2005, 10:19 AM
I have not played it. not into those rpgs. my son likes warcraft3 but come on why the subscription? warcraft3 did fine without one didnt it? Which should play just fine on a mini i might add. Point you dont play power games for nothing in the PC world and you wont in the mac either. Buy more juice? Im waiting for UT the original to be released in OSX and that will scream on a mini.

You pay the subscription because blizzard has some massive servers that need to be maintained. This game is a whole online world. Its nothing like warcraft3, the only thing is shares is a story. If i had to recomend, any game it would be WoW. There is nothing else like it.

zimtheinvader
Jan 30, 2005, 12:55 AM
I think the excellent PC ports are much overlooked and basically free anyway, (or ~$5-10!! if you don't have it already!) PC games (literally all you need is the pc version) that run well on macs, specifically older g4s are Quake2 Osx port, Quake Osx, zDoom, ect. They are still fantastic games, and free to download the Osx ports!! Plus they run great at maximum resolutions, so they actually look pretty good and play great.

Rootman
Jan 30, 2005, 08:16 AM
A great free game is America's Army. It's a multiplayer shooter that runs on the Unreal engine, and it's all paid for by your tax dollars. Should play OK in the mini.

Poff
Jan 30, 2005, 08:28 AM
Good, old SimTower maybe?

Yvan256
Jan 30, 2005, 09:16 AM
World of warcraft is one of the best game I ever played. It's worth the subscription.

Perhaps, but on top of the monthly apartment, car, television, phone, cellphone (if you have one), internet payments (I'll assume you have internet), it's getting a bit out of hand with the monthly fees.

I do wish Blizzard had "a-la-carte" payments, or at least "debit cards" with a set number of hours on them. Say, 60 hours for 20$US.

I'm sure they'd get a lot more players, since they'd be the ones controlling how much it costs them to play the game.

The game already keeps a total of hours played anyway, just put a warning system built-in "Attention: you only have 4 hours left on your gaming card" or something.

Yvan256
Jan 30, 2005, 09:18 AM
You pay the subscription because blizzard has some massive servers that need to be maintained. This game is a whole online world. Its nothing like warcraft3, the only thing is shares is a story. If i had to recomend, any game it would be WoW. There is nothing else like it.

Indeed, it's more like "Diablo 2 meets Warcraft 3 with a dash of Everquest".

Hard to describe unless you play it for at least 24 hours (and I mean 24 hours of total gameplay, not sitting down and playing for 24 hours non-stop). :D