PDA

View Full Version : iiWork First Look: What It Is And What It Is Not (mac360)

MacBytes
Jan 24, 2005, 01:54 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: iiWork First Look: What It Is And What It Is Not (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050124145434)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

ZildjianKX
Jan 24, 2005, 02:16 PM
Good overview. At macworld I had one of the mac experts export a page layout in Pages to html, boy did it mess it up.

Anyways, my copy has been on my other desk since last Friday and I'll finally get a chance to check it out tomorrow (I work in two locations, I can't wait to really try it out).

balconycollapse
Jan 24, 2005, 02:32 PM
Pages is great for making very attractive documents because the templates are so snazzy. I found it very easy to use and I think it is akin to InDesign lite. However, the compatability with Word 2004 on Mac was a bit spotty. I had a chance to put pages side by side with a word document that was exported from pages and there are some differences with fonts and things like rotated text in the "design" template. I'm sure they will improve this but just check out the doc in word first before you send it to a word user if thats the target audience. Otherwise, the heck with them use pages! We've got somethingyou don't have ha haha haha ha.

jchen
Jan 24, 2005, 03:16 PM
Compatibility with MS Word appears to be on basic documents, not on "anything" with a design element. Really, exporting or importing Word documents totally depends on complexity of the originating document.

Basic documents come in/go out just fine. Start dropping in some graphic elements and compatibility is, uh, well, let's just not go there.

On the other hand, Pages' templates are VERY good and simple to create. Plus, Mac OS X's ability to "print" PDF files means we may finally get some quality training documents because Word sucks at anything resembling easy layout.

Now, if we could just get Apple to release that Excel "killer" they have lurking around...

dashiel
Jan 24, 2005, 03:24 PM
i was both impressed and disappointed with the flash export of keynote 2. i was worried that it would just be an FLV, which would have been pants. the export is pretty clever actually, doing it's best to convert as much to vector as possible, it even gets the cube transition right *shock*. i'm only disappointed, unjustly i might add, that i can't replace the loathsome flash IDE for basic animation.

COS
Jan 24, 2005, 05:46 PM
I would have liked to use Pages as an alternative to Quark XPress or Adobe InDesign.

In my opinion I think it would be appropriate to do exactly that except for the fact that it doesn't support Pantone spot colors.

TwitchOSX
Jan 24, 2005, 06:14 PM
Im willing to bet somebody will come up with a Pantone Library add-on shortly. When I watched the keynote in quicktime, and watched Steve move that graphic around in the text and had the text just FLOW around it, I was like "AAHH!.. InDesign needs that!" hehe.. but I will stick with InDesign.. much more powerfull program.

settledown
Jan 24, 2005, 09:48 PM
I think Pages is not very good, granted I'm not an everyday graphic designer, or page layout tech.

But isn't that the point? It took me nearly 3 hours to get a fairly simple Newsletter put together. I used one of the templates, but found out that once you choose one, you cannot add a page to the layout from another Template group. There are more things that are not easy about it, and maybe that is to be expected of a 1.0 release.

As a good Mac zealot, I'll hold judgement of Pages until an update comes, but it isn't something that is as easy as the old Pagemaker was.

I think like the name suggests it should be about the pages. Why does the text of one page have to have anything to do with the text of another page?

ex. If I delete some text on page one, the text from page two flies up to fill its place. I had just gotten page two all set, and went to edit page one a little bit and bam, now i am all messed up.

I'll remind everyone that I dont use indesign and i only use word to write very simple letters.

El Capitano
Jan 25, 2005, 02:16 AM
Pages is essentially MacWrite Pro 2005. There can be no higher recommendation. :)