Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

summerheaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
I downloaded a couple of apps for my iPod Touch 4g just to realize that they all gave me US phone numbers. Good thing I only sent out a couple of texts to test the apps out so only a couple of friends replied (or else they would open up their bill and find a lot of international text messaging charges).

I live in Canada and I would like an app that lets people reply to my texts from my iTouch without paying any additional/international fees.

I also have friends from South Korea and I'd like to send them texts as well and get replies for free.

Is there any text messaging apps that give you a Canadian phone number or Korean phone number?

I'm pretty sure there is an app that let's you text to a Korean phone number for free because when I was in Korea on exchange, I had a roommate (from the US) who downloaded an app and was able to text our Korean friends for free. At that time I didn't have an iPod Touch so I didn't bother to ask about it and now I can't contact her (she's gone on a missionary trip somewhere and she won't have internet for a long, long time so she won't see my email for months, I'm guessing).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

summerheaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
That's one of the apps I tried, it only gives out US numbers right now. At one point, it gave out Canadian numbers for a limited time and they day that they'll do it again in the future, but they didn't say when.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
Have you tried TextPlus? I live right on a border so my sister is on the other side and she never complained about international fees

summerheaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
Have you tried TextPlus? I live right on a border so my sister is on the other side and she never complained about international fees

Yes, I've tried TextPlus. It gives me a US number and I tested it my texting to my phone and replying, I was charged international fees. Does your sister have a texting plan to the US?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.