PDA

View Full Version : Skyfire web browser is out

Natesac
Dec 23, 2010, 02:11 AM
It's pretty cool. Lots of new features. Could replace safari for me

Sweeperdk
Dec 23, 2010, 04:20 AM
Very very very nice!

This is without a doubt THE app that I have been waiting for, for a long long time.

Very excited about this. It works like a charm so far. I love the social media integration directly into the browser. It just _works_ as intended.

Absolutely a must have, and an instant Safari replacement for me.

colmaclean
Dec 23, 2010, 04:34 AM
Shame it won't work with region-specific videos from outside the USA. Means I still can't watch the football highlights on the BBC news site. :(

Time for a proxy/UK server farm. Please Skyfire devs!

sapporobaby
Dec 23, 2010, 06:19 AM
Shame it won't work with region-specific videos from outside the USA. Means I still can't watch the football highlights on the BBC news site. :(

Time for a proxy/UK server farm. Please Skyfire devs!

It's as easy as purchasing a VPN solution and setting it up in your network connections. Been doing it for quite a while.

colmaclean
Dec 23, 2010, 06:27 AM
It's as easy as purchasing a VPN solution and setting it up in your network connections. Been doing it for quite a while.

Yes, but the whole point of this browser is that it plays Flash videos which are converted at Skyfire's server farm which is presumably in the US. This means it's an issue with the location of their server farm and there's nothing I can do in terms of proxy settings to fix it.

Irish Rose
Dec 23, 2010, 06:30 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I thought this was still in the app store for approval. I'll have to download it when I get home, and see if I like it. I read somewhere that this browser decreases the battery life a lot due to the flash content.

clovis112
Dec 23, 2010, 06:40 AM
I just downloaded it a few minutes ago. the browser is a bit faster than safari. however, some sites with flash still doesn't work (as stated on the app description in itunes) but its better than absolutely no flash at all!

so far some videos are pixelated but its probably due to the live conversion happening on the background.

Irish Rose
Dec 23, 2010, 06:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What is the price of the iPad version of SkiFire?

clovis112
Dec 23, 2010, 06:52 AM
wirelessly posted (mozilla/5.0 (iphone; u; cpu iphone os 4_1 like mac os x; en-us) applewebkit/532.9 (khtml, like gecko) version/4.0.5 mobile/8b117 safari/6531.22.7)

what is the price of the ipad version of skifire?

$4.99

shotts56
Dec 23, 2010, 07:26 AM
Yes, but the whole point of this browser is that it plays Flash videos which are converted at Skyfire's server farm which is presumably in the US. This means it's an issue with the location of their server farm and there's nothing I can do in terms of proxy settings to fix it.

Correct. Its utterly useless for all of the videos I would like to see (football highlights on the BBC website, the Scottish Football League website etc).

Irish Rose
Dec 23, 2010, 09:16 AM

wirelessly posted (mozilla/5.0 (iphone; u; cpu iphone os 4_1 like mac os x; en-us) applewebkit/532.9 (khtml, like gecko) version/4.0.5 mobile/8b117 safari/6531.22.7)

what is the price of the ipad version of skifire?

$4.99

Thanks. Not a bad price.

colmaclean
Dec 23, 2010, 09:48 AM
Correct. Its utterly useless for all of the videos I would like to see (football highlights on the BBC website, the Scottish Football League website etc).

Indeed!

As a solution to get round any local country restrictions, Skyfire could release a server app which you install on your home computer.

When you request a Flash video, instead of going to Skyfire's servers, your home computer would download, transcode the video and upload it to your iPad's browser.

Air Video already does something similar so it can't be that hard... :)

iShad
Dec 23, 2010, 10:13 AM
Does it make video from ESPN3 viewable?

Dr McKay
Dec 23, 2010, 11:27 AM
Nice, just downloaded it to see if I could see Zero Punctuation videos, seems a little 'hit and miss' right now.

Natesac
Dec 23, 2010, 12:11 PM

I thought this was still in the app store for approval. I'll have to download it when I get home, and see if I like it. I read somewhere that this browser decreases the battery life a lot due to the flash content.

I did not see a change in battery life. It's the same as watching YouTube because the video playing on the iPad itself is HTML 5.

The video does seem a little pixlely. They need to crank up the power on the servers doing the conversion. Air video does a much better job from my medium pimpin PC.

But hey you can watch flash and if you are a Facebook nut this is probably your dream browser.

bklam
Dec 23, 2010, 12:38 PM
Anyone finding the page scrolling a little choppy at times? Almost a delay.

clovis112
Dec 23, 2010, 02:54 PM

Yeah i get that sometimes as well..

stuartmeyers
Dec 23, 2010, 04:26 PM
I have two sites I wanted this for.

For sports.com.au is an aussie site I use for sports video - not supported yet. NASCAR.com is the other one and it's so slow.

It seems to suffer from buffer issues like you tube. Does anyone see a buffer line before the actual playing point like YouTube does?

Maybe time for a new router.

Mawal
Dec 23, 2010, 06:06 PM

yeah, same here...all in all I'm underwhelmed...

map1978
Dec 24, 2010, 09:25 AM
Can anyone tell me if you can import your bookmarks from the safari browser on your iPad

I don't mind paying 5 bucks, but need bookmarks imported

Thanks

pruppert
Dec 24, 2010, 11:18 AM
Anyone know of an "open in skyfire" bookmarklet that can be used from iCab or Safari?

bklam
Dec 24, 2010, 11:55 AM
Can't import bookmarks from Safari.

map1978
Dec 24, 2010, 07:29 PM
Can't import bookmarks from Safari.

Well this makes it not worth it IMO

They need this setting/option bad

Blakjack
Dec 25, 2010, 09:43 AM
Most of the reviews I'm seeing in the app store seem to be on the negative side. Is sky fire really worth the five dollars? I need honest opinions.

MacDawg
Dec 25, 2010, 09:47 AM
I bought it, but have not found a use for it yet
And doubt it is worth it anyway

Mitchrapp
Dec 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
I don't like it yet. As a browser, it's average at best. For flash, just too much not there. 1 million videos is a bit mis-leading when you consider clips, the 30 sec. to 3 minute variety are part of that 1mill. And there are lots of them. I wants sports, NFL replay or NFL game access would be cool but I'm not expecting those to work, ever.

But overall, it stinks ;).

sapporobaby
Dec 25, 2010, 12:41 PM
I don't like it yet. As a browser, it's average at best. For flash, just too much not there. 1 million videos is a bit mis-leading when you consider clips, the 30 sec. to 3 minute variety are part of that 1mill. And there are lots of them. I wants sports, NFL replay or NFL game access would be cool but I'm not expecting those to work, ever.

You can always use Safari for Flash. Oppssss. No you can't.

Mitchrapp
Dec 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
I guess I'm not in the "some is better than nothing" camp when paying 5 bucks.

dwburnell
Dec 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
Anyone know if you can save your usernames and passwords in sky fire? I can't figure it out.

Missyrose
Dec 25, 2010, 06:51 PM
I bought it but have tried a couple of Web sites that use flash videos and it hasn't worked yet.

Hopefully they'll add more Web sites soon! I'd save your money until it becomes a more fully formed app.

MacGurl111
Dec 25, 2010, 07:59 PM
Visited 3 sites in hoping that the flash would work. What a disappointment. This will be my back-up browser.

akdj
Dec 26, 2010, 09:16 PM
Does it make video from ESPN3 viewable?

Nope...and it has real issues with channelsurfing.net. The two sites I'd still like flash ability for. Csurfing.net actually did work for me for a few of the live channel feeds (cnet, NBC, and a couple others). But I couldn't get any of today's football games to load. It gets to the flash page and says "no video found"?

I'm with most. Seems like a decent backup browser to my favorite....Atomic Web. Also lacking on skyfire and Safari is the ability to change font size without affecting page size (ie, without zooming:)). Easily my favorite part of atomic web.

Skyfire's campfire feature is very sweet though. Instant social integration will be a grand slam IMHO. I think they've done a helluva job and it should only improve with more purchasing support.

Not...what about opera? It's my favorite for my iPhone:)

clamchowderz
Dec 27, 2010, 02:22 AM

Have you tried NFL Game Rewind? That's the only reason I'd consider buying this app...

Mitchrapp
Dec 28, 2010, 10:19 PM
Have you tried NFL Game Rewind? That's the only reason I'd consider buying this app...

I have and it doesn't work. I did find out JustinTV works though. So at least that makes it worth the price a little bit.