PDA

View Full Version : 21st Anniversary: Video of the Macintosh Introduction, 1984

MacBytes
Jan 24, 2005, 04:54 PM
Category: Videos
Link: 21st Anniversary: Video of the Macintosh Introduction, 1984 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050124175454)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jan 24, 2005, 04:55 PM
that's a fun jog down memory lane. :)

runninmac
Jan 24, 2005, 05:58 PM
I wish the link would work it stops loading the site 1/2 way through

nsb3000
Jan 24, 2005, 06:19 PM
that's a fun jog down memory lane. :)

It is, but I think the chariots of fire music is a bit over the top. I love how Steve Jobs was pretty much the same back than as he is today, just with more hair of course!

mcmav37
Jan 24, 2005, 06:20 PM
I wish the link would work it stops loading the site 1/2 way through

Try this mirror (http://www.mac-software-updates.de/1984macintro.mov)

balconycollapse
Jan 24, 2005, 06:24 PM
it got slashdotted

here is a torrent

http://tracker.degreez.net/downloads/1984macintro.mov.torrent

Earendil
Jan 24, 2005, 06:27 PM
year I was born :eek:
Anyone want to give background on exactly what was going on? Sadly I'm not up on my history :(
Was the Introduction of the Macintosh the first display of the Apple GUI? Or the first Apple GUI that the public could afford?

~Tyler

realityisterror
Jan 24, 2005, 06:33 PM
it's amazing what i've taken for granted my whole life... i can't imagine how huge this must have been at the time...

where's the turtleneck?

reality

runninmac
Jan 24, 2005, 06:55 PM
Try this mirror (http://www.mac-software-updates.de/1984macintro.mov)

thanks for the help

interesting vid. pretty cool

Phat_Pat
Jan 24, 2005, 07:20 PM
What was that object that he appeared to insert into that box? :rolleyes: ;) :p

narco
Jan 24, 2005, 07:23 PM
Wow, this is amazing.

It's funny how people were applauding scrolling text and a computer that talks. That must've been huge back then.

Fishes,
narco.

Trowaman
Jan 24, 2005, 08:03 PM
seeing as though the mac is around 340 days older than me, I had never had an opportunity to see this video. That was a great thing to see. 21 years later, and we're still going strong at Apple.

Nermal
Jan 24, 2005, 08:03 PM
What was that object that he appeared to insert into that box? :rolleyes: ;) :p

It's called a floppy disk. They were sqaure objects, 3.5 inches across, and about 3 mm thick. They could store a whopping 400 KB of data! :eek:

Mainyehc
Jan 24, 2005, 08:08 PM
Wow, this is amazing.

It's funny how people were applauding scrolling text and a computer that talks. That must've been huge back then.

Fishes,
narco.

Of course it was huge, because it still is :D

Even now, I sometimes show off my Mac's voice synthetizing abilities to my friends, and they are always very impressed with it. To me, the only thing that's really amazing (on the negative side) is why the heck that capability hasn't evolved much since 1984?? Sure, we've got a lot of "voices" to pick from... But seriously, they had enough time to improve its quality, and maybe add some languages other than english... sheesh! :P

Anyway, I really loved whatching that one. Even though I wasn't even born at that time... The Macintosh is 1 year and 1/2 older than me :rolleyes:

Mainyehc
Jan 24, 2005, 08:15 PM
year I was born :eek:
Anyone want to give background on exactly what was going on? Sadly I'm not up on my history :(
Was the Introduction of the Macintosh the first display of the Apple GUI? Or the first Apple GUI that the public could afford?

~Tyler

It was the second one... Before the introduction of the Mac, Apple already had a GUI-driven computer, the Lisa. But that thing cost something like $10.000 while the mac was like $2.500 (correct me if I'm wrong...).

Oh, while I'm at it... Have you guys noticed that the Mac mini is not only the most affordable Mac in history, but also the most affordable computer ever made by Apple? If I'm not mistaken, the original Apple I "board" (since it didn't have a case) cost $666, a bit more than the mini. Yep, it was BYODKC (Bring your own Display, Keyboard and case!! :D

LimeiBook86
Jan 24, 2005, 08:22 PM
That was great! haha, that standing ovation was very long. Steve must have been thinking 'I'm rich!!' haha :D

coolfactor
Jan 24, 2005, 08:34 PM
That was great! haha, that standing ovation was very long. Steve must have been thinking 'I'm rich!!' haha :D

That is some amazing video footage! SJ, you have no idea how huge of an influence you have been to our world. Thanks for your vision and leadership!

(Now, if they could only get even better speech _recognition_ in semi-noisy rooms, then we'd be flying)

hob
Jan 24, 2005, 08:37 PM
I've never really played with these speech tools, maybe I should!!

I'm of the generation born AFTER this (1986 - May 10th, if you wanna buy me a present :rolleyes:)... But it is weird how much I obviously take for granted in a modern OS...!

Hob

Daveway
Jan 24, 2005, 09:51 PM
I love this video. I was blown away at the fact that a computer could synthesize voice in 1984! Did I see a tear from Jobs? :)

virus1
Jan 24, 2005, 10:02 PM
incredible.. i was using a computer when i was 4... my mom was jealous of my computer skills. (that was '95... lol). this vid is really amazing. everyone is probably going to yell at me for this, but is this when he was considered a "bad" ceo by treating his staff really poorly?

Photorun
Jan 24, 2005, 11:30 PM
Wow, that was cool as hell! And yeah it was huge at the time, everything he showed, there was nothing really like it on the peecee side of the fence. Not that good a GUI, nor the MacPaint, MacDraw, Macs were first with having typeface fonts (thanks to Adobe back when they were cool), it was the beginning of Postscript with clean graphics... all these things were firsts, all on a box that costed $666 bucks. He got a standing ovation that day because nobody had seen anything like it, stuff we take for granted, it all started there and Jobs had every right to bask in the moment. It would be like him doing a keynote today introducing a hover car that could produce it's own electricity, solve world hunger, and deposit money in your bank account without you working, it was that huge.

phreakout13
Jan 25, 2005, 12:56 AM
That's so cool! I've watched every old Apple commercial I can get my hands on, but does anyone know where to get more interviews with Steve and stuff like that? Thanks:)

Mainyehc
Jan 25, 2005, 01:30 AM
[...] it was the beginning of Postscript with clean graphics... all these things were firsts, all on a box that costed $666 bucks.

Nope, it was something like $2.500... The Apple I was the one which cost $666. Check my above post ;) (hey, I wasn't even born then and I know theses things... I'm such a "mac geek" :rolleyes: :p )

AmigoMac
Jan 25, 2005, 03:01 AM
amazing, that's really history, I showed it to my 4.5 years old son and the first thing he asked was why steve doesn't have the black t-shirt and the jeans, he found funny the way he dressed that time... :p

Edit. I had almost his age when Steve presented the Mac... :confused: :eek:

andypress
Jan 25, 2005, 09:16 AM
Wait a sec... That mac he had on stage was color?? Or was it modified by the person who acrhived the video?

Chimera
Jan 25, 2005, 09:22 AM
That was really cool, 3 years before I was born! Seems like Steve had his RDF even back then. I'm not sure what was more disturbing though, the voice of the mac or the really high pitched screams from the crowd? Maybe even that bow tie :D

Blaaze
Jan 25, 2005, 09:22 AM
amazing, that's really history, I showed it to my 4.5 years old son and the first thing he asked was why steve doesn't have the black t-shirt and the jeans, he found funny the way he dressed that time... :p

haha that's great :)

wdlove
Jan 25, 2005, 11:50 AM
It was the year that I moved to Boston. Thank you for the QuickTime movie, have ti downloaded. It brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eye of pride and honor to our beloved Steve Jobs. :cool: