PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Warrior in OSX

Converted2Truth
Jan 24, 2005, 06:17 PM
I just got my paws on a copy of this awesome game, yet I have no way to play it. It's all jacked up with Classic, and i don't have a Mac that boots into OS9.

I'd buy a cheap G3 imac to play this or something, but they seem to be going for ~250! Do i have to get a different (crappier) Mac to play this?

applekid
Jan 24, 2005, 08:14 PM
Shadow Warrior comes from the early PPC days, so anything as good as or better than a beige box should be good.

I guess emulation can't help since those emulate 68K processors only, right?

robyrt
Jan 26, 2005, 08:53 AM
Shadow Warrior rocks! The sticky bombs are the best. Stick someone with one and the player character (can't remember the name) starts a mad giggle-fit and says a witty comment. I've often thought that I recognized the voice from the game on several cartoons that are on now. Specifically, the voice of Mojo-jojo (I teach school...don't give me greif about watching kiddy cartoons) from the powerpuff girls reminds me of him.

I played that game over and over and over and finally gave it up. That was back in the day of Deus Ex and some squad-based marine game...you were fighting off these rednecks, and then these cultists. Each guy had a specialty. I don't think it was Damage, Inc...but I sure can't remember what the title was.

Eric5h5
Jan 26, 2005, 10:35 AM
Shadow Warrior comes from the early PPC days, so anything as good as or better than a beige box should be good.

I guess emulation can't help since those emulate 68K processors only, right?

There is an OSX version of SheepShaver, here:

http://gwenole.beauchesne.free.fr/sheepshaver/files/SheepShaver.macosx.20050119.tar.bz2

Currently there is no sound (and no GUI, so you have to edit the prefs file with a text editor). Therefore any games that insist on having sound output won't run. Apparently it isn't as fast on OSX as it should be, compared to Linux, but it doesn't have to emulate PPC (since it's running on PPC), so it's still pretty fast. On my G5, my OS 8.6 disk image boots up in about 2 seconds. :) SheepShaver also "unexpectedly quits" when it starts up, but this doesn't seem to actually affect anything; it still runs.

I'm in the same boat with Shadow Warrior (have it, can't really play it), so hopefully SheepShaver will be improved with sound (it does sound, just not on the OSX version yet).

--Eric

applekid
Jan 26, 2005, 02:23 PM
Specifically, the voice of Mojo-jojo (I teach school...don't give me greif about watching kiddy cartoons) from the powerpuff girls reminds me of him.

The guy that does the voice of Mojo Jojo (http://imdb.com/name/nm0413996/) appears to have many video games and cartoons to his credit, so I guess he could be Shadow Warrior's main character's voice.

On a side note: I'm gonna say I quite thoroughly enjoyed the Powerpuff Girls. It's definitely better than all of the anime crap we've been getting lately. Powerpuff Girls was one of the few American cartoons that was good (in this age of heavily anime-saturated cartoon channels).