Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevenb

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
First off, I own a Sony KV36XBR800 CRT 4:3 TV that is now about eight years old. It only had DVI and RCA inputs. So, I tried the HDMI to DVI cable and Toslink to RCA via a converter. I had 720P before the major software update and everything worked, including iTunes and Netflix streaming with no HDCP issues.

I then did the major software update and lost 720P, down to 480P. Everything else worked though. So, I was a bit upset, but have been living with 480P, as everything else worked.

I recently did the minor software update that did not fix the 480P. I did not notice anything different though, So, I kept living with 480P.

I just purchased an HDMI Switch from Monoprice (see below)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7112&seq=1&format=2

and a 24AWG HDMI to HDMI cable from them as well. I am still using the old HDMI to DVI cable I was before. The switch is located between the ATV2 and the TV inputs.

All of a sudden, I have 720P output from the ATV2. I have been streaming Stargate Continuum in HD off of Netflix for the past 45-minutes with no HDCP errors and the picture is wonderful on this "old" Sony CRT TV. I am so happy to fix Apples problems.

So, as far as I am concerned, the 480P issue is a software issue that Apple created, and not the TV manufacturers. What ever they did, they need to correct it, so those of us who had 720P before the major software upgrade can get 720P without having to spend extra money on an HDMI switch to "fool" the ATV2.

I am not a super technical person, but I can hold my own with computers and TV's, as well as connecting them. I am not a software engineer by any means. All I know is that I fixed a problem that Apple created, and now it is their turn to fix it!

I have no idea if this switch fix will work for other TV's, but I know it worked for mine. They have a bunch of other switches if you search the site and very cheap heavy gauge HDMI cables.

I hope this information helps other people on this site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.