PDA

View Full Version : eyeTV wonder usb 2.0

ifjake
Jan 24, 2005, 09:53 PM
check me out (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvwonder)
i'm not sure i buy this. elgato website says that the "marginal" latency allows for game consoles to be playable through your mac. anyone witness anything like this at MacWorld?

if this is true, sounds pretty nifty. the price is definitely way better than the eyeTV 200. waaaaay better ($150 vs. $320). unfortunately my old Ti Powerbook doesn't have USB 2.0. oh well. maybe i could find a PCI card for cheap. as a college student it looks mighty attractive. it would be the equivalent of buying a 150 dollar TV that would let me record TV on my computer and maybe play a system of some sort (we don't have a TV). the eyeTV 200 at 320 was kind of unjustifiable, as i might as well get a TV at a decent size with that kind of money. i'll have to really restrain myself from this one. if i got one that means i could get a game system, and that would mean all sorts of time wasting trouble for me.

ravenvii
Jan 24, 2005, 10:11 PM
I find it strange that a Firewire-based eyeTV can't do latency fast enough for gaming, but a USB 2.0 one can? AND it's half the price? I'd like someone to comment on this. I see it's based on the ATi TV Wonder cards, maybe they do video in a different method? Still sounds dubious.

jadam
Jan 24, 2005, 10:16 PM
I find it strange that a Firewire-based eyeTV can't do latency fast enough for gaming, but a USB 2.0 one can? AND it's half the price? I'd like someone to comment on this. I see it's based on the ATi TV Wonder cards, maybe they do video in a different method? Still sounds dubious.

I believe it has to do with the fact that the eyetv 200 is not only a tv tuner but also an encoder, and it encodes the video before it sends it to the computer. The ATI wonder is only a tv tuner and sends a raw unencoded signal to the computer.

ifjake
Jan 25, 2005, 08:57 PM
yeah the encoding is all done in the CPU. a single G4 will be able to handle VCD quality while a G5 or dual G4 setup is needed for DVD quality. and unfortunately i found out that it requires USB 2.0 built in in order to work properly. i emailed their support myself to clarify this. so i can't just buy a PCI card for my laptop. oh well.

ravenvii
Jan 25, 2005, 09:32 PM
The Mac mini has USB 2.0! :D

So can anyone voucher for this one? Or post some links to some rviews? Cuz I really want to know if it can handle console gaming. Being able to ditch my builky TV in the dorm would be SWEET indeed.

Hotsnugglemnstr
Feb 5, 2005, 03:53 PM
yeah, i'm in the same boat as you guys. my tv is 13 years old and i dont want to spend $300 on another. i hope people will post reviews on it when it releases on the 18th i believe? that wwould be really cool if it worked well with an xbox!!

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 5, 2005, 04:12 PM
I may be interested in this product but i think the styling was done by the U.S.Army or some Lazy engineer. Concepts sounds good but the box they threw it in looks like .....It would have to be hidden if I connected it to my Mini.

heyadol
Feb 10, 2005, 08:59 PM
I am curious about this as well, and seeing the pc version for $100 I was tempted to pick it up and try it on my sister's fujitsu (but it seems to be sold out everywhere). I emailed elgato asking if there is anything different between the mac and pc version (there isn't) and if the extra $50 was just for the elgato software (it is). Here is their reply in case you wanted it:
_____
Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems.

The ATI TV Wonder and EyeTV Wonder share the same hardware.

To make it work on the Mac, the EyeTV software is necessary, along with an activation code. That software and code have a value, and that explains most of the markup. That value is always reflected in the price of any EyeTV product.

Besides that, you may have noticed that PC products are in general cheaper than their Mac counterparts. That's due to the economies of scale on the PC side.

All of that said, we're bringing the best deal we can to our Mac customers.

If you want to use this product on the Mac, then please buy the Mac bundle, because we can't provide the software license separately at this time.
____

Guess I'll just suck it up and pay the extra $50 next week. I wonder if the USB or FW bus provides enough power to run it, I asked about that in the email as well (figuring it was just an oversight on ATI's part not making it bus powered) but it didn't get a response. I don't want to have to carry yet another power adapter if I can avoid it.

heyadol
Feb 11, 2005, 04:46 AM
They happened to have the pc version while I was at Best Buy so I grabbed it. The video quality was was pretty good except for the constant appearance of streaks, usually about 3 or 4 at a time that would go about half-way across the screen. I could live with that, besides, it may be better on mac (could be caused by my sister's laptop). The thing that sucked was the lag. If any of you used an iRez Capsure card with a G3 laptop, that is what i would call "marginal latency," this is somewhere beyond that. I connected a few game systems (Dreamcast & TurboDuo, don't have my Xbox here) and it took about a half second from the time i made an input to the time it was realized on screen. I guess it would work for an rpg but that's about it, definitely not a Halo player.
I'll still keep my hopes up for better performance on the mac version but now I'm going to wait for a couple reviews before I spring for it.

scifi451
Feb 13, 2005, 09:18 PM
I am also looking at this product for my dad, but will wait on reviews.

Converted2Truth
Mar 7, 2005, 10:57 PM
Anyone? Reviews? I'm really excited about this product and the price. If anyone's got some info, i'd really appreciate it.

ravenvii
Mar 7, 2005, 11:42 PM
Me too, the key feature of this is the real-time encoding, thus making gaming on a console with this feasible. They said they'll start to ship beginning of February. It's now beginning of March, and things have been very silent regarding this. Anyone know what's going down?

ifjake
Mar 7, 2005, 11:59 PM
i got this email from Elgato a while back. decided to post it since the topic came back.

Thank you for contacting Elgato Systems.

EyeTV Wonder requires USB 2.0 ports built in to your Mac. Native USB 2.0 support is necessary to handle the masses of uncompressed video it receives. That means that it requires Macs built over the past two years.

Using an add-on USB 2.0 card is not supported - it might work, but it might not. This variability is due in part to differing USB 2.0 hardware, and part to the current state of Apple's USB 2.0 drivers.

You are welcome to try EyeTV Wonder for 30 days after it ships, and return it if it doesn't work for you.

so my Ti Powerbook doesn't have USB 2.0 and there's no guarantee of it working with a PCI card. i'm still really tempted to give it a try, since i can return it if it doesn't work. does anyone have any experience with PCI USB 2.0 cards for laptops and can recommend one that could quite possibly work? this could help a lot of us out there.

Hotsnugglemnstr
Mar 8, 2005, 12:06 AM
has anyone recieved theirs yet? whats the dealio?

ziutek
Mar 8, 2005, 12:07 AM
I recently recieved my elgato tv wonder. It performs flawlessly on my g5. I didn't notice any half second delays when playing my gamecube. I tested it with metroid prime and everything felt responsive. I also never experienced any streaks as heyadol mentioned. I can confirm that it doesn't work on a pci usb 2.0 card. I tried it but El Gato's software didn't detect it. Overall I would recommend the product.

Hotsnugglemnstr
Mar 8, 2005, 12:08 AM
wait i just went to the elgato web site, and they have this under the above the price on the buy now page-

Note: Due to high demand for the EyeTV Wonder USB 2.0, we are currently in a backorder situation. Please allow at least 10 days for shipping. Your credit card will not be processed until your order ships

Hotsnugglemnstr
Mar 8, 2005, 12:09 AM
Yay! im buying! :D
thanks!

ravenvii
Mar 8, 2005, 12:14 AM
I recently recieved my elgato tv wonder. It performs flawlessly on my g5. I didn't notice any half second delays when playing my gamecube. I tested it with metroid prime and everything felt responsive. I also never experienced any streaks as heyadol mentioned. I can confirm that it doesn't work on a pci usb 2.0 card. I tried it but El Gato's software didn't detect it. Overall I would recommend the product.

*bows* thank you thank you thank you *bows*

I can finally get rid of my clunky CRT TV in my dorm room and use my LCD for all my display needs!!! *Dances with glee*

ziutek
Mar 8, 2005, 12:57 AM
*bows* thank you thank you thank you *bows*

I can finally get rid of my clunky CRT TV in my dorm room and use my LCD for all my display needs!!! *Dances with glee*
Your welcome :)

JRM PowerPod
Mar 8, 2005, 02:38 AM
Mine was meant to be in stock today, not sure whether it shipped or not. They sound pretty cool

ifjake
Mar 9, 2005, 02:38 PM
i sent something to xlr8yourmac (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/) to see if he knew of anything about using the eyeTV wonder with a PCcard, and he actually posted it on the front page and it took off. i recommend anyone looking for info on the eyeTV wonder and making it work to check out the past few days of postings (~march 7-9, 2005 for future reference). a lot of interesting stuff there.

alex_ant
Mar 10, 2005, 07:32 PM
Wouldn't a firewire DV bridge be better? You can get a Dazzle Hollywood on eBay for well under $150.

ravenvii
Mar 10, 2005, 08:14 PM
Wouldn't a firewire DV bridge be better? You can get a Dazzle Hollywood on eBay for well under $150.

Nah, you can't watch TV with it. You'll have to pass TV through something else, such as a VCR, if you want to watch. The TV Wonder is much better.

gjg554
Mar 11, 2005, 09:12 PM
I just got my usb wonder. There is virtually no latency when playing on my xbox, but the picture is very blury on my 17in powerbook. Motion is also bad while playing, so when i play madden its hard to tell exactly what's going on deep after the play star. Does anyone know how I can improve the quality in any way? TV is pretty good through s-video, but this xbox quality is making me mad.

ziutek
Mar 11, 2005, 09:57 PM
I was also kind of disappointed with the quality when playing games but then I bought some svideo cables off of ebay. The difference in quality is huge. Everything is much sharper and clearer.

andrewfee
Mar 11, 2005, 11:21 PM
I was also kind of disappointed with the quality when playing games but then I bought some svideo cables off of ebay. The difference in quality is huge. Everything is much sharper and clearer.
That looks excellent! How does it look fullscreen?

Although I have a great 28" CRT in my room, I'd rather use my 17" Powerbook LCD.

ziutek
Mar 12, 2005, 12:04 AM
That looks excellent! How does it look fullscreen?

Although I have a great 28" CRT in my room, I'd rather use my 17" Powerbook LCD.
It looks pretty good in fullscreen on my 30" cinema display, that is of course when I play seven feet away from the monitor. I stretched the video to mimick the dimensions of your powerbook's display and it looks fine.

dirk-a-lurk
Mar 21, 2005, 10:43 PM
It looks pretty good in fullscreen on my 30" cinema display, that is of course when I play seven feet away from the monitor. I stretched the video to mimick the dimensions of your powerbook's display and it looks fine.

I'm considering purchasing a 30" HD cinema display...and was wondering how it looks full screen using an EyeTv...Does it lag, etc...

I currently have a 1.33 G4 Powerbook 17", which runs my EyeTv 500 HD content fairly well (despite ElGato's website saying a dual G5 is required), but to power the 30" display I'm considering upgrading to the dual 2.5 G5 Power Mac with requisite upgraded video card or possibly the new 1.67 G4 Powerbook 17" with dual-link DVI.

To rationalize the $3K for the 30" cinema display (not to mention the new PowerMac/Powerbook)...I want to make sure this thing doubles as a TV...so any comments are very much appreciated. Thanks!

JeffTL
Mar 22, 2005, 01:19 AM
I have pretty good luck using my digitization setup (Sony stereo VCR and Media Converter DVMC-DA2) as a TV, with Video Viewer as the display app on a 1.6 GHz iMac. Need to run cable to that VCR, though; analog VHF antenna in the basement = sometimes poor quality, but usually good.

Can't use it as a DVR, but that's why I have a TiVo on my real TV.

oikonisus
Apr 6, 2005, 01:44 PM
Is anyone willing to post an eyeTV activation key? Or is there any free tv tuner software for Mac? I already have the ATI TV Wonder and now I have a Mac, but I can't find ANY software compatible with both, except for eyeTV, and there doesn't seem to be any way to buy a software license.

Uma888
Apr 6, 2005, 04:15 PM
i will be purchasing a new powerbook (when they arrive) and will be upgrading the ram to 1gb (and vRAM to 128mb), and i will purchase a 23" or 30" cinema display afterwards,

this would eliminate the need for me of having my 21" combi tv :p

(i also run my xbox and gamecube on the tv)

would this setup be alright? i.e. no latencies between console and mac?

this would be wonderfull if it could ;) :rolleyes:

im thinkin of getting the eyetv home edition :cool:

PS: this would make switching to the mac the best thing since i installed linux on my box :D

thanks in advance for all your help :D

andrewfee
Apr 6, 2005, 04:22 PM
i will be purchasing a new powerbook (when they arrive) and will be upgrading the ram to 1gb (and vRAM to 128mb), and i will purchase a 23" or 30" cinema display afterwards,

this would eliminate the need for me of having my 21" combi tv :p

(i also run my xbox and gamecube on the tv)

would this setup be alright? i.e. no latencies between console and mac?

this would be wonderfull if it could ;) :rolleyes:

im thinkin of getting the eyetv home edition :cool:

PS: this would make switching to the mac the best thing since i installed linux on my box :D

thanks in advance for all your help :D

Only the USB2 eyeTv is relatively lag-free and suitable for gaming, the others are only suited to things that don't rely on reaction time.

If you're getting an external display, I would highly recommend a VD-Z3 (http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=28) which converts progressive signals to vga. This is completely lag-free, as it's just going directly into your monitor and requires no real processing. (if any?)

Obviously you can't record from it though, so it may not be suitable.

Not too sure what you mean about purchasing a "new powerbook when they arrive" though, as they new ones just came out about 2 months ago, and I wouldn't expect another update for at least 4 months.

Mechcozmo
Apr 6, 2005, 06:35 PM
Is anyone willing to post an eyeTV activation key?

Piracy is not permitted on these forums. Only on April Fools day. But even then it is piracy with real pirates-- not with other people's software and money.

ravenvii
Apr 6, 2005, 07:59 PM
If you're getting an external display, I would highly recommend a VD-Z3 (http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=28) which converts progressive signals to vga. This is completely lag-free, as it's just going directly into your monitor and requires no real processing. (if any?)

The design of that site is bad. I couldn't find any pricing information, and cannot figure out how to buy the product. The Buy Now! section has no information on how to actually buy it.

Seems they actually don't want you to buy their product. They've succeed with flying colors if that's the case.

Back to the eyeTV Wondder, a benefit is that you can watch TV/record/play games/whatever and do whatever you want on the computer at the same time. You can run it in a window located anywhere on the screen, you can expose and see what's going on, then go back to work. You can run it in full screen. You can...

God I'm salivating over the eyeTV Wonder. I'm gonna buy it as soon as funds allow.

Skull21
Apr 13, 2005, 11:00 PM
Are games supposed to look blurry when playing through the eyetv wonder usb 2.0? There also seems to be some lag when playing Halo, anyone else have this problem with it?

Skull21
May 1, 2005, 06:33 PM
Are games supposed to look blurry when playing through the eyetv wonder usb 2.0? There also seems to be some lag when playing Halo, anyone else have this problem with it?
Anyone?