Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocolocoo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
I mean, can I?
i know they have been discontinued but are there any still out there being sold?
I'd like to buy a new macbook(white), i really like them and all but i've heard and read bad things about them, mainly the things cracking all over the place.
i don't want to have to deal with that and i don't want to pay 1200 bucks + tax for a macbook pro if i can avoid doing that.

Another thing, my brother is also considering buying a new macbook/macbook pro.
This might sound like a riduculous/naive/stupid question but, does apple have any sort of deals like say, buy one get 10% off on the second one , or something like that?
probably not, huh?

doesn't hurt asking though, right? =P

My kid brother and I are both in college and want to make the switch to macs, he's been using Toshiba laptops(2) since middle school and i currently work with a compaq desktop(2004 model) that has like 512MB of memory and it's slow as hell, i really don't know how many times i've had to do a hard reboot on this thing.
it works, but ....

any advice?

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
As far as I know there are no deals for buying two computers. PowerMax offers used computers. I have not purchased a used computer from them, but have used their trade in program before and had a good experience. Since you are a student you can also get a discount on new apple products. If you go on their online store there will be a link on the left that says educational store, you can check prices there. I think you will be happy you switched!

cocolocoo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
hmm.... thanks for the quick replies guys =)
i have seen a few aluminum MBs on Amazon, all used but some of them in "like new" condition.
there's one for $750 but the seller only has 50% feedback rating. Not sure if it's a safe bet to buy from him.
then most of them are 900 bucks. don't think that's worth it.
Do you guys think now would be a good time to buy? or would an "update/upgrade" be coming in the next few weeks?
What about that deal that Apple does with the free iPod Touch with the purchase of a mac?
I am thinking i could sell the thing and get some money back that way.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
$900 would be pretty steep, I wouldn't spend over $750 and that's if it had some AppleCare left. There might be refreshes coming in the first quarter of next year, but nobody knows for sure. The back to school promotion usually is in the summer so you got a little while before that starts. They do usually offer a free printer with rebate that you can sell to help with the cost. When I just bought my air I drive over to Delaware (tax-free), used my student discount, and got the free printer that I sold for $50. Overall I saved $160. You can also check the refurb store on apples website, they have new deals all the time and they are usually a good value.

cocolocoo11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
i saw the deal microCenter has... not bad at all(MBP13 for 999.99).
We're about head out to the mall, my brother is probably gonna get try to get them(@ the apple store) to match that price and will end up getting it today.
I think i'll just wait until the new updates are announced. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
Id stick with amazon, they pop up every so often. I just bought my new mbp with appplecare there and saved $500 from buying it from my local apple store.

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
Actually there is a bunch on ebay...I just saw 2 or 3 tonight for the 700 dollar range. If you ask me thats a deal. My wifes is hands down the best MacBook we own. It out performs my new MBP easily. If I could part with this and find a nearly new one for sale I would not hesitate.

Creebe

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2010
i'm sure there are a few brand new Al Macbooks in the market. But I don't recommend them. Apple discontinued them for a reason, and if you prefer Al over white, then get a MBP.

I have a late 2009 MB white, and no cracks yet. Some of my friends have the white macbooks as well, and i haven't seen any cracks on their computers.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Micro Center was selling the late 09 MacBook for $799 last March (2010). My local Apple store price matched it for me, so I got a new MacBook at a good price.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
There's really no difference between the aluminum Macbook Pro (13 inch) and the aluminum Macbook.

If you find an aluminum Macbook Pro on craigslist in your price range I'd rather buy that as it newer than any aluminum Macbook.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Did the '08 model have a SD slot?

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
There's really no difference between the aluminum Macbook Pro (13 inch) and the aluminum Macbook.

I agree, would you still be interested if they always called the 13" aluminum model a "MacBook Pro" and didn't change it from MB to MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.