Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Here's my situation; I've just ordered a new plasma, a 50" Panasonic Viera TC-P50GT25. For the last twelve years I've been using a 54" Sony projection TV that is SD, and does not have component inputs.

I've had it hooked up to my PS3 and streaming movies (yes, I recognize the sadness of having a PS3 hooked up to a SDTV).

My Hackintosh runs Air Video Server, PS3 Media Server, and of course, iTunes. I stream my library to my iPad, iPhone, and PS3. However, I'm going to be moving the PS3 upstairs when my new plasma arrives, and probably getting an Apple TV as well.

I'd like to keep my projection TV in use, because I need an SDTV to play Super Smash Bros with my Wii (the lag introduced by hooking it up to a HDTV is unacceptable). It seems a waste, however, to keep a 54" TV around for nothing but Smash Bros, so I'd like to be able to play movies on it.

Granted, I could get another PS3, but I don't want to blow $299 on it.

Obviously, I can't hook up an Apple TV, since they are HDMI only.

Does anyone know an alternative that can work with PS3 Media Server, iTunes, or a similar application, and can be plugged in to a SD TV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.