PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to purchase Pages for the Ipad too?

CyrusOz
Dec 24, 2010, 06:09 PM
I just purchased and Ipad yesterday and I was trying to edit a word document from my Imac and I couldn't find the pages app on the Ipad, then it dawned on me that perhaps I have to purchase Pages again just for the Ipad? Is that correct?

Do I need to purchase the whole i-life bundle etc to get all of the main applications that I use on the Imac? I recall ask the sales-person if i needed to purchase any additional software to bring it up to speed with my Imac and she said 'no' perhaps i she didn't understand the question or i didn't understand her answer.

Can anybody please shed some light on this for me, is there any other app that is free that works just as well as pages or do I just buy the pages app and get it over with?

Thanks

MacDawg
Dec 24, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, you will need to purchase the Pages, Numbers and Keynote Apps separately for the iPad

Code.Red
Dec 24, 2010, 06:12 PM
Yes, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are all separate apps that you must purchase separately. Having these applications on your Mac doesn't transfer over to your iPad.

I've only purchased Pages, and it works. It's not as full-featured as the OSX version (actually it's pretty limited), but it works well for editing and making simple documents.

Doctor Q
Dec 24, 2010, 06:34 PM
With the Mac App Store, Apple says that "You can install Mac apps on every Mac you use and even download them again." That seems to indicate a change in their licensing methods. Which means there's a chance, albeit slim, that Apple will combine the licensing of their apps across platforms sometime in the future. But for now, Pages for Mac and Pages for iPad are distinct products.

LinkMx
Dec 24, 2010, 06:46 PM
With the Mac App Store, Apple says that "You can install Mac apps on every Mac you use and even download them again." That seems to indicate a change in their licensing methods. Which means there's a chance, albeit slim, that Apple will combine the licensing of their apps across platforms sometime in the future. But for now, Pages for Mac and Pages for iPad are distinct products.

An iPad is not a Mac.

wyneken
Dec 24, 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm sort of on the flip side of this -- I never used Pages on the Mac but I've gotten to like the minimalist version on the iPad. Now I'm waiting for the Mac App Store to open, because the early word is that the iWork apps will be available separately for $20 apiece. Pages is the only one I want.

CyrusOz
Dec 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
I just went to purchase the pages app and saw that there are 2 different pages apps. There is Pages and Pages+. The Pages+ appears to be geared more towards image rich documents but it's cheaper than the other standard pages, which has me asking... what is the difference between the two?

Stetrain
Dec 24, 2010, 08:49 PM
I just went to purchase the pages app and saw that there are 2 different pages apps. There is Pages and Pages+. The Pages+ appears to be geared more towards image rich documents but it's cheaper than the other standard pages, which has me asking... what is the difference between the two?

If you check the details, I really doubt that "Pages+" is made by Apple. ;)

Night Spring
Dec 24, 2010, 08:51 PM

They are just unrelated apps with similar names. If you look at the details for Pages+, it's made by some no-name developer.

saberahul
Dec 25, 2010, 01:57 AM
Since when did Pages become $12.99? Yes, like said Pages+ is not by Apple. The Pages (http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/pages.html) everyone is talking about is made by Apple.

Sambo110
Dec 25, 2010, 02:32 AM
Since when did Pages become $12.99? Yes, like said Pages+ is not by Apple. The Pages (http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/pages.html) everyone is talking about is made by Apple.

This might surprise you, but not everyone lives in the US.

rburly
Dec 25, 2010, 05:20 AM

I just checked Pages in the App store and it's $9.99 right now.

Piggie
Dec 25, 2010, 05:39 AM
If you check the details, I really doubt that "Pages+" is made by Apple. ;)

It does make you wonder how Apple would pass a similar app with virtually the same name as they use.

darngooddesign
Dec 25, 2010, 01:53 PM

THis might surprise you, but putting a $ in front of the price indicates its the US.

Shoechick
Dec 25, 2010, 02:13 PM
THis might surprise you, but putting a $ in front of the price indicates its the US.

That means dollar....not US dollar.....Canadian, Australia all use dollars.

petvas
Dec 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
You might also want to consider some other alternatives to Pages, like Quickoffice Deluxe, or Documents to Go.

darngooddesign
Dec 25, 2010, 02:22 PM

I find that to be quite surprising.

JohnDoe98
Dec 25, 2010, 02:42 PM
I've only purchased Pages, and it works. It's not as full-featured as the OSX version (actually it's pretty limited), but it works well for editing and making simple documents.

Limited in what way? I find I can pretty much do everything I normally would, and I write a lot of papers. The only thing that is really missing is the ability to view and make comments, or to track changes.

One way to add a bunch of features is to edit/save your styles in pages on the mac and in the file before copying it over to ipages (you can make a blank document with all those edits and use it as your template in ipages; make sure to include a footnote that you can later copy in the ipages program and just keep on pasting it to insert new footnotes).

ReallyBigFeet
Dec 25, 2010, 02:47 PM

Aussie dollars?

Saladinos
Dec 25, 2010, 05:04 PM
Limited in what way? I find I can pretty much do everything I normally would, and I write a lot of papers. The only thing that is really missing is the ability to view and make comments, or to track changes.

One way to add a bunch of features is to edit/save your styles in pages on the mac and in the file before copying it over to ipages (you can make a blank document with all those edits and use it as your template in ipages; make sure to include a footnote that you can later copy in the ipages program and just keep on pasting it to insert new footnotes).

I find it pretty disappointing:
- Table support VERY bare (doesn't even support merged cells)
- Styling options limited, cumbersome to get to (even simple things like changing font)
- No equation support

Almost every time I open a pages 09 document, I get a long list of compatibility errors and my document ends up being very awkwardly edited. Sometimes it borks things so I can't edit a particular paragraph or whatever, and have to retype the whole thing and try to match the style.

It's better than any other office suite on any mobile platform, but that doesn't mean it's good. It's almost like a Microsoft product.

Ashka
Dec 25, 2010, 05:10 PM
Or.. Kiwi dollars ~ Apple's Pages app for iPad $13.99.. :D

Well worth the price as long as you read the User Guide.

JohnDoe98
Dec 26, 2010, 12:26 AM
- Table support VERY bare (doesn't even support merged cells)

Point taken.

- Styling options limited,

Please explain

styles cumbersome to get to (even simple things like changing font)

I don't understand this. In the desktop client you click on a button in the toolbar then select your style with your mouse. Same with the ipad version of pages except you use your finger, so it's actually faster. If you want to quickly change font, just make a style that includes the font change and it'll be a quick thing to switch. Honestly how often do you need to switch up fonts? Just find the 2-3 you like and create some files with the styles edited with those respective fonts.

- No equation support

Like with your point about merging, this would be nice to have added in. Hopefully these things will be extended as time moves on.

Almost every time I open a pages 09 document, I get a long list of compatibility errors and my document ends up being very awkwardly edited. Sometimes it borks things so I can't edit a particular paragraph or whatever, and have to retype the whole thing and try to match the style.

Can you give examples of those compatibility errors? I'm curious.

It's better than any other office suite on any mobile platform, but that doesn't mean it's good. It's almost like a Microsoft product.

Well that might be. I tend to like it but I guess your points are reasonable. Keep in mind though this is the first version of the program (excluding the one update that incorporated partial footnote support). So, they are working on it and it does seem to be getting better. Hopefully they intend to at least slowly roll out the full features in the mobile edition.

frunkis54
Dec 26, 2010, 02:20 AM

just so you know $ does mean US dollar

Canada uses C$
australla uses A$

:D

Shoechick
Dec 26, 2010, 01:04 PM

Canada uses C$
australla uses A$

No we don't We use $

patchouli
Dec 26, 2010, 01:38 PM

Canada uses C$
australla uses A$

on ebay maybe.
We use (in Canada) simple old dollar signs. Like this: $
To be understood, $1 CAD or $1 USD would be good

benixau
Dec 26, 2010, 08:42 PM

Canada uses C$
australla uses A$

Um. No.
Maybe when you're talking internationally, yes.
But I promise you, the sign at the fruit shop does not read A$2.99/kg (that's a kilogram - we're fully metric here too)

Everywhere in the world, the $ sign represents the word dollar. So, if you go to www.placetobuystuff.ca and it says the price is $13, you can safely bet it's Canadian dollars. That screenshot comes from the Australian iTunes store, where, believe it or not, the currency used is Australia Dollars. So, why would we act like the only country in the world is the USA, when clearly, it's not.

Might I recommend that next time you make a factual statement, you check your facts.

Sparky9292
Dec 26, 2010, 11:43 PM

- No equation support

Try the Ipad app Tex Equation. It's like MathType, you can cut paste into Pages.

Also try Documents To Go for the Ipad. It's like Office.

John Durban
Dec 29, 2010, 09:15 AM
Yes, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are all separate apps that you must purchase separately. Having these applications on your Mac doesn't transfer over to your iPad.

Can you tell me where I can but Pages for IPad on it's own without having to but the whole $79.00 suite? I've searched the Mac Store and was only able to buy Keynote, but could not find where to buy just Pages.Thanks.

Night Spring
Dec 29, 2010, 10:36 AM
Can you tell me where I can but Pages for IPad on it's own without having to but the whole $79.00 suite? I've searched the Mac Store and was only able to buy Keynote, but could not find where to buy just Pages.Thanks.

http://appshopper.com/link/pages

zetsurin
Jan 2, 2011, 08:19 PM

Oh dear, I think it's high time that you finally got a passport and started to explore the world that exists outside of North America. :rolleyes:

On topic, I'm still disappointed with the calibre of office suites on iOS. On my Android phone I bought D2G, but truth be told I've rarely used it so far. On my iPad I do have a real desire to exit my workout logs and financial budget, etc on my iPad but I also want to keep things cross platform and store in google docs. That kind of rules out the iWork apps, but it seems that QO and D2G are neither quite there yet for both different reasons.

EmmEff
Jan 2, 2011, 08:37 PM

Wow. Just wow.

rikbrown
Jan 4, 2011, 08:30 AM
I find that to be quite surprising.

Newsflash: America isn't the only country in the world to use the $ sign/"dollar" name for their currency.