PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't acknowledge CDs.

techieCHICK
Dec 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
I have a G4 (OSX version. 10.5.8) Mac that won't recognize CDs. It will accept DVDs just fine and I've never had this problem before. I've already rebooted it a couple times, turned off "automatically retrieve track names form internet" on iTunes, and hit apple+option+p+r to reset the PRAM. Nothing's working.
Oh, my iTunes is fully updated as well (version 10). I suspect that the new iTunes update has something to do with it as the computer was reading CDs just fine before the update. However, I didn't try immediately after the update so it could be something else. What should I do?

occams razor
Dec 24, 2010, 09:11 PM
Is it just audio CDs or any CDs?

If it's just audio CDs, are they retail or burned CDs?
If it's retail I would think it's a bug in the software.
If it's burned CDs it could be that what ever you used to burn them didn't finalize them.

The fact it was working before leads me to think that it is software related. Check for updates and install any that pop up. I would also look into either cleaning or replacing the drive as they do get dirty over the years and super drives even non apple ones are getting crazy cheap

BigDukeSix
Dec 24, 2010, 10:58 PM
Just wondering if a PPC Mac has issues with ITunes 10....

occams razor
Dec 24, 2010, 11:22 PM
My QS has no problems. Not sure if it's iTunes 10

techieCHICK
Dec 25, 2010, 10:54 AM
Is it just audio CDs or any CDs?

If it's just audio CDs, are they retail or burned CDs?
If it's retail I would think it's a bug in the software.
If it's burned CDs it could be that what ever you used to burn them didn't finalize them.

Let's put it this way. I received a new audio CD as Christmas present (retail). The computer would not acknowledge that it was there and eject it after a few minutes (probably 5 or 6). I then proceeded to insert several other of my CDs (all audio retail) and the computer did not recognize any of them. Then I put in a DVD (again, retail) which worked fine. I tried a CD again but it still would work. :(

stroked
Dec 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
Have you tried to open the CD with another app, like VLC?

Justinz
Dec 25, 2010, 03:48 PM
I have a G4 (OSX version. 10.5.8) Mac that won't recognize CDs. It will accept DVDs just fine and I've never had this problem before. I've already rebooted it a couple times, turned off "automatically retrieve track names form internet" on iTunes, and hit apple+option+p+r to reset the PRAM. Nothing's working.
Oh, my iTunes is fully updated as well (version 10). I suspect that the new iTunes update has something to do with it as the computer was reading CDs just fine before the update. However, I didn't try immediately after the update so it could be something else. What should I do?

Well I have a Power Mac G4 MDD. And i don't have this problem. Maybe it can be the disks. If not then i would say maybe the Superdrive has overheated. Or damaged. Would might need to buy a new one. Not everything lasts forever. like duck tape :D.

BigDukeSix
Dec 26, 2010, 10:44 AM
techieCHICK, when and if you get it fixed, please come back and let us know the rest of the story.

cocacolakid
Dec 26, 2010, 01:37 PM
Let's put it this way. I received a new audio CD as Christmas present (retail). The computer would not acknowledge that it was there and eject it after a few minutes (probably 5 or 6). I then proceeded to insert several other of my CDs (all audio retail) and the computer did not recognize any of them. Then I put in a DVD (again, retail) which worked fine. I tried a CD again but it still would work. :(

Does the new CD that it rejects have extra content on it that is in PC format? I wonder if that's the explanation.

Do you have iTunes set up to automatically rip a CD when inserted? If so, and this is a Sony CD, that could be the cause. Sony has had some CD's with additional video content on them that is DRM'd and will not rip (the regular audio CD part isn't DRM'd, just the extra content). It could cause errors with even trying to rip the audio portion to iTunes. If I recall correctly, at first it was installing a rootkit courtesy of Sony on computers without the owner's knowledge until someone realized what was going on and there was a backlash. A few years back a K's Choice CD set came with that junk protection on it and in order to rip the CD's to my PC at the time (I hadn't discovered the magic of Macs yet), I had to take a marker and cover up the additional outer ring of copyright content on the CD (it actually had two rings, one large one for the audio section and a second, very thin one near the outer edge for the additional content, covering that up allowed the audio to be ripped - but left the CD with no resale value).