PDA

View Full Version : Give a few more trusted members some basic mod ability

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 08:25 AM
By this all I mean is give a few more people the ability to wasteland threads, not to go round doing as they see fit editing anything and everything.

The spam floods are happening more and more, and quite often there are none of the current admins/mods online. If there were a few more people given some very basic extra rights quite a lot of rubbish could get cleared up a lot sooner.

stoid
Jan 25, 2005, 08:33 AM
Is this spurned by ths victor1 outbreak today, or by the mymemory thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=106331)?

Though I agree, I know that our mods do an excellent job, but I think that the forum ha continued to grow and they may need some more help to deal with it all.

While edesign may go 'off the handle' occasionally, I believe that he would mod with much more benevolence, so he gets my nomination.

Peterkro
Jan 25, 2005, 08:37 AM
I've noticed a lot of this spam arrives night or early morning U.S. time.Isn't there one one European or Asian mod?

wordmunger
Jan 25, 2005, 08:38 AM
Maybe we could hold an election and choose a few more mods that way.

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 08:43 AM
Is this spurned by ths victor1 outbreak today, or by the mymemory thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=106331)?.Nothing to do with mymemory. Just the amounts of blatant spam we are getting. It just seems to make sense to have a few more people who can deal with it quickly, rather than having them sitting around while everyone chips in to the flame fest.

Although I am guilty of flying off on these spammers, I don't anymore, no macros :eek: I'd rather just see them dealt with quickly and properly.

dvdh
Jan 25, 2005, 08:45 AM
Elections might be more trouble . . . I would be happy with willing people being nominated and a half a dozen people 'seconding' it. That said, even if a couple(or three) people simple had the authority to wasteland spam, it would make things a little smoother around here.

On that note, I second the earlier nomination of edesignuk for 'wastelanding' authority.

Veldek
Jan 25, 2005, 08:48 AM
I second that. The idea to have one or more European or Asian moderators is excellent, too. This way, we’ll increase the probability of a moderator being online when something happens.

DanTekGeek
Jan 25, 2005, 08:48 AM
elections!? ha! you think the internets is a democracy!?
;)

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 08:49 AM
Elections might be more trouble . . . I would be happy with willing people being nominated and a half a dozen people 'seconding' it. That said, even if a couple(or three) people simple had the authority to wasteland spam, it would make things a little smoother around here.Elections are just a popularity contest. I don't think that'd be any good. It would be down to the existing mods/admins to decide on who they would be happy with I think.

Thanks for the support fellas, though this is not about making *me* a mod (though I wouldn't mind at all ;)). It's just about keeping things clean around here, no matter who it is that does it.

wordmunger
Jan 25, 2005, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure about edesign... give him that much power and it might go to his head... OTOH, we do know he'd be persistent!

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure about edesign... give him that much power and it might go to his head... OTOH, we do know he'd be persistent!
hahahah...or should that be muwahahahahahahahaha!. Honestly, who ever it be (if any after all this), it only takes a couple of clicks to remove the "chosen" if they prove to be doing a s*** job. There's nothing to loose.

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 08:52 AM
I also would agree that e would make an excellent Wastelanding mod. As the member with more posts there than any other *, he's very qualified to judge what should be sent there. ;)

* well, yes, mostly because of the famed macros for spammers, but still....

wordmunger
Jan 25, 2005, 08:54 AM
Elections are just a popularity contest.

Not "just" a popularity contest... what better way to determine who the community members would like to give a little more power to? If everyone agrees that they trust a certain person to reliably wasteland threads, and not abuse his power, then that person is likely to be able to do the job.

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 08:54 AM
* well, yes, mostly because of the famed macros for spammers, but still....
Not true, anything in the wasteland does not go towards post count. That's why I never saw any harm in it, it's not like anyone could say I was doing it for post count, because the second the thread hits the wasteland it doesn't count anyway.

Mudbug
Jan 25, 2005, 08:56 AM
believe it or not, this topic has come up before. Suffice it to say we're thinking about it.

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 08:58 AM
believe it or not, this topic has come up before. Suffice it to say we're thinking about it.
Oh I believe it. Just thought that these spam attacks seem to be happing more and more often, and the subject might need a little *BUMP* in the minds of the currents mods/admins ;) :)

Mudbug
Jan 25, 2005, 09:14 AM
a nice, subtle kick in the pants will often do what is necessary. :D

give us a little bit of time to discuss and formulate a real plan, and we'll get back to you. I've bookmarked this thread for myself. :)

srobert
Jan 25, 2005, 09:23 AM
How does this banning contraption works? (I'm not very internets smart ^_^)

I mean, does it only ban the current account? Does it prevent the banned person from creating a new account? (From same email? from same IP?) What about non-static IP addresses? Please Educate me.

P.S.: As of today, I've added a new thing to my "Things to do before I die" list: - Punch a spammer in the nuts :D

SilentPanda
Jan 25, 2005, 09:24 AM
I also think that if we as a community simply reported posts instead of turning it into a full blown thread (by responding) it would swiftly move these posts off the front page. It certainly doesn't help your post count any to respond to the threads so there really isn't any benefit. I could see a first initial post stating "reported" so the mods don't have 50 people telling them about the thread but... responding to it over and over again just bumps the thread anyhow.

If edesignuk gets any sort of mod privileges I think I'll be scared... he'll have authority to back up his entertaining macro images... :)

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 09:24 AM
How does this banning contraption work? (I'm not very internets smart ^_^)

I mean, does it only ban the current account? Does it prevent the banned person from creating a new account? (From same email? from same IP?) What about non-static IP addresses? Please Educate me.
You can ban usernames, but you can also ban by IP if it gets really bad ;)

MacDawg
Jan 25, 2005, 09:25 AM
Sounds like a reasonable idea, but as stated above, I think it should be the Mods choice and not a vote of any kind.
I have confidence in our current Mods, and would accept their wisdom in choosing or not choosing someone.

I think it would also be good to keep the names of the Mods before the Forum public on a regular basis.
I know for newer members it is sometimes hard for them to distinguish who is, and who is not a Mod. I know the "clue" is in the designation to the left, but some overlook that.

As far as I know the list is...

Arn
Eyelikeart
Rower_CPU
Mr. Anderson
Doctor Q
Mudbug

We seldom see Arn anymore, and I understand he stays busy.
It is also rare to see Eyelikeart anymore
Rower_CPU is more active than Arn and Eye
Mudbug is available more than the above 3
But Doctor Q and Mr. Anderson seem to be the 2 that are around the most

But that is just my observation
And I have probably overlooked someone

Regardless, that's a lot of work for them
They all do a great job in my opinion
I know there will always be controversy,
but I have appreciated their work

I know that there are others who function unofficially
Folks like "E", "Blue Velvet", "bousozoku", "Sun Baked" and others
quickly and regularly report things that are out of line

I love this board, and hope that it will continue to uphold its high quality
It means a lot to me

Woof, Woof - Dawg

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 09:26 AM
If edesignuk gets any sort of mod privileges I think I'll be scared... he'll have authority to back up his entertaining macro images... :)
*if* that was to happen, I wouldn't. They'd simply hit the wasteland before you know it! :D

SilentPanda
Jan 25, 2005, 09:26 AM
How does this banning contraption work? (I'm not very internets smart ^_^)

You can typically ban via user name (does little good), e-mail address (does little good), IP (pretty effective), or an IP block (more effective but you can block other people accidentally too).

If it's a dynamic address there's not too much you can do. But that's the nature of them.

SilentPanda
Jan 25, 2005, 09:27 AM
As far as I know the list is...

Arn
Eyelikeart
Rower_CPU
Mr. Anderson
Doctor Q
Mudbug

It is also rare to see Eyelikeart anymore
Mudbug is available more than the above 3

Regardless, that's a lot of work for them
They all do a great job in my opinion
I know there will always be controversy,
but I have appreciated their work

I know that there are others who function unofficially
Folks like "E", "Blue Velvet", "bousozoku", "Sun Baked" and others
quickly and regularly report things that are out of line

I love this board, and hope that it will continue to uphold its high quality
It means a lot to me

Woof, Woof - Dawg

The way that was written out I thought maybe it was a poem or something... :p

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 09:27 AM
Not true, anything in the wasteland does not go towards post count. That's why I never saw any harm in it, it's not like anyone could say I was doing it for post count, because the second the thread hits the wasteland it doesn't count anyway.
I said most posts there - i.e., in the Wasteland. I was just kidding. Well, you do have, I think, the most there, but still, just joking. :)

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 09:29 AM
I said most posts there - i.e., in the Wasteland. I was just kidding. Well, you do have, I think, the most there, but still, just joking. :)
;) I knew your were joking, no worries, I was just saying for anyone else who didn't grasp how the wasteland works :eek:

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 09:33 AM
;) I knew your were joking, no worries, I was just saying for anyone else who didn't grasp how the wasteland works :eek:
No problem. No one who visits regularly would think you were trying to up your post count intentionally; otherwise you'd do silly things like start threads about how many times a link had been clicked, or subtly offer to become a mod so you could Wasteland threads by any member who was approaching your post count. ;)

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 09:34 AM
No problem. No one who visits regularly would think you were trying to up your post count intentionally; otherwise you'd do silly things like start threads about how many times a link had been clicked, or subtly offer to become a mod so you could Wasteland threads by any member who was approaching your post count. ;)
http://upload.edesignuk.net/uploaded_data/smilies/dogeyes.gif
Crap. I've been found out!

SilentPanda
Jan 25, 2005, 09:35 AM
Okay great... now I can't help but want to make it into a poem...

*enables poem maker 3000*

It is also rare to see Eyelikeart anymore, as he's watchin "Sex and the City"
Mudbug is available more than the above 3, what a great guy!
Who would have thought we'd have such great hosts?

Maybe I should have looked at the mod list
Maybe I jumped the gun.

*errored out*

Actually I just couldn't figure out the next part so I quit.

And no I don't know all the mods genders so I just refer to all of them as males.

MacDawg
Jan 25, 2005, 09:36 AM

As Uncle Ben told Peter Parker (Spiderman) in Spiderman I, "With great power comes great responsibility".

I personally think that "E" would tone it down with the added power (if the Mods chose to give it). The Mods giveth, and the Mods taketh away... abuse it and lose it.

But "E" is not the only choice, there are a number of responsible members who take a great interest in this board, are respected by the masses, and would show wisdom in their judgment. I'm sure the Mods have a short list in mind since they have discussed this already.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 09:38 AM
*** 'Dawg subtly adds himself to the list of candidates ***

;)

Too bad there wasn't a way to simply send any thread which has the original post reported by more than n members to the Wasteland, where n could be 2,3, 5, whatever.

Sun Baked
Jan 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
Seems everybody always forgets, AmbitiousLemon...

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 11:28 AM
Seems everybody always forgets, AmbitiousLemon...
I can't remember the last time I saw AL...

Blue Velvet
Jan 25, 2005, 12:14 PM
I think the best thing to do in this instance is to let the current mods come up with a short-list and let them approach people individually... after all, they are the best judges of who will do a good job.

My suggestion on possible qualifying factors -- for what it's worth -- would be: length of registration, contributor status, steady commitment, and a demonstrated even-handedness. Not post-count...

One complicating issue that would have to be considered is the kind of access -- if any -- to the mods forum.

A UK presence would be helpful because this time-zone is ahead of the US and issues can be dealt with as the west coast is going to bed and before the east coast wakes up. It's also a time when many Aussies & Kiwis are on the boards...

I would be reluctant to see 'elections'. It may be more divisive than helpful.
Perhaps forum members could just PM a designated mod or even a separate and new email address with 2-3 nominations in a given period... say, over a 2-4 week period.

Just my two cents worth...

Edit: Although MacDawg mentioned my name in conjunction with others, I would be unable to give any commitment over any period as my participation in this forum may become increasingly erratic over the coming year...

So no, no vested interests. :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 12:37 PM
If the junior mod thing does come about these are a few ideas I would like to have in such a process:

1) The jr. mod could only wasteland "spam". You know, get the free this or that.

2) That any jr. mod breaking established rules, even once be dropped form the program.

3) I would prefer that "spam" get deleted totally off the system. No need to carry that garbage around forever.

russed
Jan 25, 2005, 12:52 PM
i also think this secondary moderator programme is a good idea. but yes elections shouldnt be the way they are decided.

is there any way of finding out how long each member spend on here a day? if so give it to the ones that are here the most but also the most 'respected'.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 12:55 PM
i also think this secondary moderator programme is a good idea. but yes elections shouldnt be the way they are decided.

is there any way of finding out how long each member spend on here a day? if so give it to the ones that are here the most but also the most 'respected'.

I think that the mods could take a look at those that report the most spam abuse. I know that edisignuk ranks very well up there.

Blue Velvet
Jan 25, 2005, 01:00 PM

One problem with that is that many people leave their work machines logged on & hooked up most of the day, even if they're not actually participating...

jackieonasses
Jan 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw AL... He always post how *not* to bump threads in the marketplace. He did that last week. He is rarely on anymore.

kyle

jackieonasses
Jan 25, 2005, 01:06 PM
If the junior mod thing does come about these are a few ideas I would like to have in such a process:

1) The jr. mod could only wasteland "spam". You know, get the free this or that.

2) That any jr. mod breaking established rules, even once be dropped form the program.

3) I would prefer that "spam" get deleted totally off the system. No need to carry that garbage around forever. And what would this "jr. mod" be called? mini mod? mod micro?? :p

*sorry for the double posts*

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 01:11 PM
And what would this "jr. mod" be called? mini mod? mod micro?? :p
"MR Mini Mod" would be perfect for the chosen few! :cool:

russed
Jan 25, 2005, 01:17 PM
"MR Mini Mod" would be perfect for the chosen few! :cool:

no, mod mini

just to fit in with apple branding!

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 01:31 PM
One problem with that is that many people leave their work machines logged on & hooked up most of the day, even if they're not actually participating...True, but you're automatically timed out after a relatively brief period of time (20 minutes?).

zelmo
Jan 25, 2005, 01:43 PM
This sounds like a great idea!
**holds out hand for edesignuk to drop in that fiver**

Seriously, some of those "free" threads hang around for a couple of hours sometimes. Having someone in the UK or elsewhere to be a mod mini (I'm likin' that title) would be great.

That being said, I nominate wdlove. I can't think of a more even-handed, universally respected MR member.

munkle
Jan 25, 2005, 01:43 PM
no, mod mini

just to fit in with apple branding!

MR mod mini - cause SPAM is random.

I'll grab my coat....

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
I'll grab my coat....
:eek: I'll help you...

:p

zelmo
Jan 25, 2005, 01:46 PM

I'll grab my coat....

:D

emw
Jan 25, 2005, 02:16 PM

I'll grab my coat....

Wouldn't that be the mod Shuffle. Or, perhaps, the iMod?

munkle
Jan 25, 2005, 02:39 PM
Wouldn't that be the mod Shuffle. Or, perhaps, the iMod?

Yeah but it doesn't really work as well ;)

Perhaps just keep with the MR theme and go for Demi-Mod.

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 02:42 PM
That being said, I nominate wdlove. I can't think of a more even-handed, universally respected MR member.
'love is too nice. ;) We need someone who will Wasteland spammers with impunity, not give them the benefit of the doubt.

Blue Velvet
Jan 25, 2005, 02:49 PM
'love is too nice. ;) We need someone who will Wasteland spammers with impunity, not give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Enforcer

Come on down... edesignuk! :cool:

You could be our own 'Judge Thredd'! :D

*ouch*

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 02:56 PM
Come on down... edesignuk! :cool:
I'm here, I'm, here! What did I miss!?

:D

jsw
Jan 25, 2005, 02:58 PM
I'm here, I'm, here! What did I miss!?

:DYou mean you're not always monitoring the threads?

Hmmm... might need to change my vote. ;)

And, Blue... that was horrible. :D

AmigoMac
Jan 25, 2005, 02:59 PM
Edesignuk is a pretty regular :eek: member, I think he would do it fine, the rest of us, europeans members can check it the first months ;) ...

Sun Baked
Jan 25, 2005, 03:11 PM
Edesignuk is a pretty regular :eek: member, I think he would do it fine, the rest of us, europeans members can check it the first months ;) ...Only problem with that is, he'd have to just wasteland threads, instead of abusing the newbies.

Absolutely no fun in that... :(

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 03:13 PM
Only problem with that is, he'd have to just wasteland threads, instead of abusing the newbies.

No fun, but it'd be better for the forums, no?

zelmo
Jan 25, 2005, 03:13 PM
Edesignuk is a pretty regular :eek: member, I think he would do it fine, the rest of us, europeans members can check it the first months ;) ...

Why does edesignuk's regularity (ewww...) have anything to do with this thread? Wait:eek:, that is way too much information! Am I back in the stalker thread again?

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 03:14 PM
Why does edesignuk's regularity (ewww...) have anything to do with this thread? Wait:eek:, that is way too much information! Am I back in the stalker thread again?
To put my American accent & hat on...

"Like, don't even go there" :D :p

dotnina
Jan 25, 2005, 03:15 PM
Only problem with that is, he'd have to just wasteland threads, instead of abusing the newbies.

Why does he have to pick one? He can still do both, right? :D

I think edesignuk would do an excellent job. I'd vote for him (if we decided mods by voting)! :D

Sun Baked
Jan 25, 2005, 03:21 PM
Why does he have to pick one? He can still do both, right? :D

I think edesignuk would do an excellent job. I'd vote for him (if we decided mods by voting)! :DWell, the image code is turned off.

So if he nukes a newbies thread...

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20413

All you'll see is a line of text...

[.IMG]http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20413[/.IMG]

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 03:45 PM
You could be our own 'Judge Thredd'! :D

I really like this. We could number them for policing of their cations. Give them the ability to edit the spam threads removing reference to the site.

What the tag line. "justice has been served"?

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 03:52 PM
That would be awesome :cool:

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 04:00 PM
That would be awesome :cool:

LOL, finally something you and I do agree upon. :)

Maybe you could be Judge Thredd 1 and I could be Judge Thredd 2. Of course I would be the more compassionate one. :D

Just having some fun with you.

edesignuk
Jan 25, 2005, 04:06 PM
LOL, finally something you and I do agree upon. :) Well, what do you know! :D :eek:
Maybe you could be Judge Thredd 1 and I could be Judge Thredd 2. Of course I would be the more compassionate one. :DDone! :cool:

Sun Baked
Jan 25, 2005, 04:12 PM
You know there will be problems when they're already sallivating over the havoc they will inflict on newbies. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20416&stc=1 http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20417&stc=1 http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20418&stc=1 http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20419&stc=1

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 04:15 PM
You know there will be problems when they're already salivating over the havoc they will inflict on newbies. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20416&stc=1 http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20417&stc=1 http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20418&stc=1

ROTFL!

Remember I said that I would be the more compassionate one. I only want to serve justice on spammers.

jxyama
Jan 25, 2005, 04:59 PM
we need to choose "baby mods" by the timezone, so someone will be around 24/7 to punish the spammers. :D

one each in east asia and europe. regular mods can cover the western hemisphere, i think.

global MR ban the spammer squad! :)

Mechcozmo
Jan 25, 2005, 05:03 PM
As Uncle Ben told Peter Parker (Spiderman) in Spiderman I, "With great power comes great responsibility".

I personally think that "E" would tone it down with the added power (if the Mods chose to give it). The Mods giveth, and the Mods taketh away... abuse it and lose it.

But "E" is not the only choice, there are a number of responsible members who take a great interest in this board, are respected by the masses, and would show wisdom in their judgment. I'm sure the Mods have a short list in mind since they have discussed this already.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

*** 'Dawg subtly adds himself to the list of candidates ***

;)

Hehe.
How do iSubtly add myself to that list? :p

So we have the Mini Mac and the iPod Mini... will it be:
Mini Mod or Mod Mini?
You be the judge cause I'm the defendant :p

Mechcozmo
Jan 25, 2005, 05:06 PM

What about,

"You've been terminated"

:rolleyes: :D

MacNut
Jan 25, 2005, 05:25 PM
How about, Keep Spam where is belongs, in the can. :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 05:49 PM
What about,

"You've been terminated"

:rolleyes: :D

Too frightening for us "liberals" here. :D

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 25, 2005, 05:50 PM
How about, Keep Spam where is belongs, in the can. :rolleyes:

Another good "nick"; the Spamminator

Might work better with my thoughts that the jr. mods would only take on spam.

realityisterror
Jan 25, 2005, 07:32 PM
Elections are just a popularity contest. I don't think that'd be any good. It would be down to the existing mods/admins to decide on who they would be happy with I think.
an election which i'm sure you would win... so, really, there is no point.. :rolleyes:

Although I am guilty of flying off on these spammers, I don't anymore, no macros I'd rather just see them dealt with quickly and properly.
on second thought, maybe we do need someone else... :p

and yes, i've read nothing of this but the first page or so.. but that's quite alright.. :cool:

reality

applemacdude
Jan 25, 2005, 08:10 PM
Since when is muddy a full god?

solvs
Jan 25, 2005, 09:02 PM
Although I am guilty of flying off on these spammers, I don't anymore, no macros :eek: I'd rather just see them dealt with quickly and properly.
Awww, but I like the Macros and the flying off the handle.

N00b: Hay guys, free Ipods! Haow do I get a avater?

You: DIE! DIE! DIE!

Me: :D

(Where'd I put that pic of the little Smilie with the machine gun? That was a good one)

Mechcozmo
Jan 25, 2005, 11:06 PM
Too frightening for us "liberals" here. :D

Life gets a lot easier when you realize:
Capital punishment for everything! Once word gets around, people will stop breaking the law. And people will also be out of jails and such, keeping our tax dollars going towards something like webservers for the general masses.

Steal a pencil? Get shot. Makes perfect sense!

:rolleyes:

Oh, wait... </sarcasm>

Mudbug
Jan 25, 2005, 11:40 PM
Since when is muddy a full god?

ever since the lightening started shooting from my fingertips. :eek: :D

Sun Baked
Jan 25, 2005, 11:52 PM
ever since the lightening started shooting from my fingertips. :eek: :DWell blakespot and arn haven't been around too much lately.

Sun Baked
Jan 26, 2005, 01:07 AM
I'm sure Mudbug will figure it out, but this method probably wouldn't work... Going for a Free MacRumors Mini Mod Membership Account!

The ULTIMATE SKINNY On How To Get Your Own FREE MacRumors Mini Mod Membership Account!

Only TEN (10) referrals required to complete one trial offer!

NO Hidden Fees of Any Kind. NO Spam. NO Countless emails.

It took me less than one month to complete my offer for my first MacRumors Mini Mod Membership Account! THIS LINK is the fastest way to get started:

http://www.FreeMacRumorsMiniModMembershipAccounts.com/r=macrumorswannabe

SEVEN EASY STEPS TO FOLLOW:

1.) First, get yourself a free e-mail account with either Yahoo or Google. You will need this to register on the site for the Mini Mod Membership Account. You can use your own e-mail if you wish, but I found it best to use another, because you might receive some junk mail.

2.) Second, click on this link http://www.FreeMacRumorsMiniModMembershipAccounts.com/r=macrumorswannabe or copy and paste it to your browser. This will take you to the website where you can sign up for the Mini Mod Membership Account.

3.) When you get to the website, register using the e-mail account you created and a password of your choosing. Enter in the required information the site asks such as your address and name. This is so they will know who and where the Mini Mod Membership Account should be sent. Don't worry, it's 100% secure.

4.) Now, after registering, you will see a list of offers from different companies on the website like BigHairyMenOnVideo and NerdClub. Sign up for one of these offers. Many of them offer a free two week trial, after which you can cancel if you don't like it. I like the BigHairyMenOnVideo offer, not only is it the easiest with the least amount of obligation, but they actually give you two coupons for free movie or game rentals at any local BigHairyMenOnVideo. (A friend of mine chose to buy refills for my KY Jelly Dispenser since she needed them anyways and could save money this way).

5.) After you complete one of the offers, check your e-mail account that you used to register with the site. There will be a confirmation e-mail from the free Mini Mod Membership Account website asking you to verify your account that you signed up for. Save this e-mail, it contains some important information that you will need. There should also be an e-mail from the offer that you signed up for, save that one as well.

6.) Once you have completed the five previous steps, all you have to do is get TEN (10) other people to sign up and do the same using YOUR REFERRAL LINK (will be provided by the Mini Mod Membership Account website). I know it sounds impossible, but it's actually quite easy once you begin. Believe me, it's worth it. All it takes is a little motivation and some free time. You should be able to get a good amount of people to sign up, just be creative.

REMEMBER: Keep checking your "Status" and it will keep you posted as to when you have completed your "offer" (meaning when you have completed your trial offer subscription), how many people join from your referral link and how many people fully complete their "offer" (meaning how many people that used your referral link have completed their trial offer subscription and have motivated 10 other people to do the same).** It's fun to keep checking your Status Page as more and more friends sign up and complete their offer!

7.) Once your Status page tells you that 10 people have completed their offers, you then click a button asking for "authentification" - (they double check to make sure you did not make up fake email addresses and fake leads, that the 10 leads you have are valid people) this takes about 3-5 days. Once they Authenticate you, you will see a button on your status page telling you that you have been authenticated and that you can claim your Mini Mod Membership Account - this takes another week or so.

If you have any further questions, just e-mail me at macrumorswannabe@iamnotgod.com and I will do my best to help you out. Just click on http://www.FreeMacRumorsMiniModMembershipAccounts.com/r=macrumorswannabe, and the website should be able to answer any questions you may have.

THIS LINK is the fastest way to get started: http://www.FreeMacRumorsMiniModMembershipAccounts.com/r=macrumorswannabe

Best of luck to you and thank you for taking advantage of my quick and easy referral link!

Please do enjoy and have a safe New Year!

- A MacRumors Mini Mod Membership Account User (soon!)So many examples in the wasteland to choose from... http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20417&stc=1

virividox
Jan 26, 2005, 02:14 AM

i think wdlove is a great choice!!!

AmigoMac
Jan 26, 2005, 02:24 AM
i think wdlove is a great choice!!!

agree! but weren't we talking about European/Asian Mods... :confused:

Dalriada
Jan 26, 2005, 03:49 AM
weren't we talking about European/Asian Mods... :confused:

Exactly, I second some earlier comment that a European mod is becoming more necessary and the UK seems a relevant place as Apple Europe HQ heading also in that direction. As a regular reader on this forum my vote certainly goes to E

liketom
Jan 26, 2005, 04:38 AM
i think Edesign would make a great Mod , man that dude is almost always on and he would be a cool choice.

BakedBeans
Jan 26, 2005, 09:04 AM
i think Edesign would make a great Mod , man that dude is almost always on and he would be a cool choice.

thats just darn right insulting ;)

liketom
Jan 26, 2005, 09:39 AM
thats just darn right insulting ;)

lol sorry to insult

BakedBeans
Jan 26, 2005, 04:51 PM
lol nah its the truth of the statement that is insulting :)

im almost a bad ;)

Mechcozmo
Jan 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
ever since the lightening started shooting from my fingertips. :eek: :D

Is that healthy?

mymemory
Jan 27, 2005, 11:57 AM
One of the things that I see hapening is that (and for the last year) Apple news are not that big any more, I mean, there is not that excitment and the main object of the site is a bit lost.

Then, there was a thread the other day about "bacon". I have nothing about strange topics but many of them are getting way too dumb and that affect the image and the seriousness of the community as a intelectual group of people.

Macrumors is becoming a place to spare time, in other words "I am bored, let me hang out in the site".

I created a thread the other day asking for peopl'es degrees and age if you all remember well, just because I wanted to see the profile of most of the users here. Many are over 25 with mayors but usually the one writting silly things are kids most of the time.

In my experience, Arn and who ever else manage the site, should take a time to create again the profile of the visitors and topics we should manage around here.

I do not mean deleteing a thread because I am asking vniow her phone number (because that was actually funny) but fore real, some one saying "Oh I love you Apple" is was too corny and anybody with some brain would leave this place because is way too childish.

I do not know about mods but we guide lines things would be better and I think they should be reviwed every once in a while.

Moderators elections... it is complicated because in my case an "I love you Apple" is a comment that should be deleted before some sarcastic comment... as long this one does not end up in a dog fight of course.

Blue Velvet
Jan 27, 2005, 12:07 PM
I have nothing about strange topics but many of them are getting way too dumb and that affect the image and the seriousness of the community as a intelectual group of people.

Serious high-minded intellectuals need to have fun sometimes, too.
Always remember, this is a community of all sorts of people.

Eternal speculation on a G5 powerbook and answering endless questions on the Mini and suitable monitors must occasionally give way to the serious issues of life... like bacon.

You don't have to read these threads, or participate.
If you only want to do the Mac stuff, don't go into the community forums...

I do not mean deleteing a thread because I am asking vniow her phone number (because that was actually funny)

Funny to you. Perhaps not to other people...

But overall, I fail to see what your entire post has to do with the topic which is about delegating some limited authority to some long-term trusted members.

Peterkro
Jan 27, 2005, 12:11 PM
up there ^^ this thread had some meaning this has gone way off course.

edesignuk
Jan 27, 2005, 01:20 PM
Funny to you. Perhaps not to other people...
As I recall it wasn't very funny to quite a few people...

Blue Velvet
Jan 27, 2005, 01:22 PM

Well, I didn't want to say... ;)

Maybe I'm the good cop, and you're the bad cop... :)

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 27, 2005, 02:04 PM
And the side step we have taken is a reason that jr. mods have to have a very limited set of powers IMO.

MacNut
Jan 27, 2005, 02:14 PM
What is the ratio of Mods to Members, has the member population outgrown the number of mods, that should determine how many more mods need to be added.

vniow
Jan 27, 2005, 03:13 PM
I do not mean deleteing a thread because I am asking vniow her phone number (because that was actually funny)

That's not ****ing funny.

mymemory
Jan 27, 2005, 04:36 PM
That's not ****ing funny.

I was just making a point, I never ask you for that even I think you are a kind of cute.

mymemory
Jan 27, 2005, 04:40 PM

You can not recall anything because I have never asked her for her phone number. And be sure you are not going to be a mod, that just would represent the worst degradation in this comunity.

mymemory
Jan 27, 2005, 04:49 PM
Serious high-minded intellectuals need to have fun sometimes, too.
Always remember, this is a community of all sorts of people.

Eternal speculation on a G5 powerbook and answering endless questions on the Mini and suitable monitors must occasionally give way to the serious issues of life... like bacon.

You don't have to read these threads, or participate.
If you only want to do the Mac stuff, don't go into the community forums...

But overall, I fail to see what your entire post has to do with the topic which is about delegating some limited authority to some long-term trusted members.

Probably because you consider yourself as a "Serious high-minded intellectual" you missed the point obviously.

IMAGE DUDE... IMAGE! and GUIDE LINES. Take the chnace to read my post again and let you "high-minded" to get the point.

I mean, a Mod can not delete a post just because he/she consider is not appropiate... based on what?

My point with Vniow and the other comment was exactly that "High-minded people", you can not go around being so subjective about people topics.

Where are the guide lines? and where are the guide lines for the mods?

I actually think that would be a good idea for the Moderators to have a public section inside the site where they should post a record of therads/post deleted and the reason, so we can have a profile of what is going on, IF that is the case. Just records, no discusions, discusions can go in a separate section I assume.

edesignuk
Jan 27, 2005, 04:49 PM
You can not recall anything because I have never asked her for her phone number.I recall the thread (maybe threads) where you were hassling vniow (though not the details of it admittedly), and as you've just seen from vniov's response to your earlier post, it most certainly was not deemed "actually funny" by those invloved.And be sure you are not going to be a mod, that just would represent the worst degradation in this comunity.You've got your opinion, just as well it will have no impact on the outcome of all of this (just the same as anyone else's won't - this should be and admin decision).

Anyway, your need to have a dig at me has taken this thread well of course, back on topic...

edesignuk
Jan 27, 2005, 04:52 PM
I actually think that would be a good idea for the Moderators to have a public section inside the site where they should post a record of therads/post deleted and the reason, so we can have a profile of what is going on, IF that is the case. Just records, no discusions, discusions can go in a separate section I assume.
Apparently you have no idea about how much work commenting on every single mod/admin action would be :rolleyes:

jsw
Jan 27, 2005, 04:54 PM
Apparently you have no idea about how much work commenting on every single mod/admin action would be :rolleyes:
Yes he does - he just wants you to do it.... ;)

Edit: No, wait, he doesn't want you to be a mod. Never mind.

jsw
Jan 27, 2005, 05:00 PM
I mean, a Mod can not delete a post just because he/she consider is not appropiate... based on what?
A mod can delete a post because they think it contains too many occurrences of the letter 'm', or because it has a bad text color, or because of any other reason they personally think is appropriate.

A mod who arbitrarily kept deleting posts for no good reason, however, would not remain a mod for long. As no mods - to my knowledge - have ever been "let go", they must be doing a good job, at least in the eyes of other mods (and in my eyes as well).

In fact, the number of stunningly bizarre and/or offensive posts which have been allowed to remain are tribute to how lenient they often are.

Sun Baked
Jan 27, 2005, 05:23 PM
I guess recent comments are another reason why having a member vote would be a bad idea.

There's no voting yet, and people are already attacking each other... http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20418&stc=1

jsw
Jan 27, 2005, 05:26 PM
I guess recent comments are another reason why having a member vote would be a bad idea.

There's no voting yet, and people are already attacking each other... http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20418&stc=1
No, we're just trying to get the thread Wastelanded to enjoy the sweet irony of such an act. ;)

Rower_CPU
Jan 27, 2005, 05:28 PM
No, we're just trying to get the thread Wastelanded to enjoy the sweet irony of such an act. ;)

Won't take much more. :p

edesignuk
Jan 27, 2005, 05:28 PM
Exactly. Any type of "vote" was a bad idea from the get-go.

If this happens, and we go get a "Mini Mod" of one flavor or another, IMO it should be a current mod/admin decision, and not the members. It's quite clear that some of us don't exactly get along, but that's not what any added responsibility should be based on.

jsw
Jan 27, 2005, 05:33 PM
Won't take much more. :p
I was just kidding, of course.

Assuming a new mod is deified, let me be the first to say:

** tries for best Kent Brockman voice **

"All Hail our new Mod Overlord"

** bows submissively **

** quietly practices Nelson "ha-ha" voice in case thread is Wastelanded **

** realizes can never say "ha-ha" if thread is, in fact, Wastelanded; says "d'oh!" to self **

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 27, 2005, 05:56 PM
What strikes me is how few actual members have chimed in on this issue. Despite the wandering, there is lots of material here regarding the original thought that is worthy of member discussion IMO.

MacNut
Jan 27, 2005, 06:07 PM
What was the original thought, I think it was lost a while back in this thread.

blackfox
Jan 27, 2005, 06:09 PM
What strikes me is how few actual members have chimed in on this issue. Despite the wandering, there is lots of material here regarding the original thought that is worthy of member discussion IMO.
well, for me personally, I don't mind the spam that much. With a little effort I can easily avoid it and do my best to report it if I see it.

If this situation is proving too much for the mods, then I am open to solutions, but like I said it is not terribly bothersome to me, so I have chosen to let the discussion go on with those who do have a problem with the situation.

If it ever got to the point where my opinion as a member here was solicited by the mods, I would offer my opinion, as that would most likely be under the circumstances of a specific policy implementation, and not brainstorming of solutions, as it is now.

I hope that makes sense. FWIW, if a mini-mod (or whatever) is seen as needed, and edesignuk wants the responibility of the position, he is welcome to it as far as I am concerned. Ultimately, however, that is a decision for the mods to take.

MacNut
Jan 27, 2005, 06:14 PM
I think the bigger issue is that the member numbers are growing and a few more police are needed to control the asylum and keep it from getting out of hand.

Applespider
Jan 27, 2005, 06:16 PM
I think the idea of a full European/Australasian mod is a good one so that there's round the clock coverage as the forum gets more and more popular.

The election is a bad idea - for the reasons a few posts back in the thread. Mods rarely win popularity contests regardless of how fair/evenhanded they are.

To be honest, the only real problem during the current mods 'out of hours' time is spam of which we've had a spate lately. I'm not sure how easy it is to create mini-mods who can wasteland those threads - it might be tougher that we think to limit permissions to only that power!

While I like the idea of a script that tracks how many people report a thread and auto-wastelands it, I'm not that convinced that might not get abused if we end up with a sensitive or controversial thread.

MacDawg
Jan 27, 2005, 06:46 PM
I don't find the current Mods overbearing at all.
I feel that they are even handed, and fair.
It is possible to tweak them though, but that is "our" fault when it happens.

I do feel that the subject has merit, just because there is so much going on for the current Mods to keep up (not a slam in any way). I don't know how you do the job you do.

I would not oppose the idea, but I wouldn't push too hard for it.
I'd like to know the Mods feelings on it.
I know they said they have discussed it, but I don't know what their feelings are.

In any event, it should be decided by them as to who, and when and what "power" is given. I trust their wisdom.

Then it should be done privately.

Not sure that anyone else even has to know about it, they just have the power to do it. That way it isn't an ego thing. If a person feels like they have to have a title, and everyone else has to know about it, then maybe it is not for the good of the forum, but for the ego of the individual. I'm not pointing fingers here, just thinking out loud.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

Peterkro
Jan 27, 2005, 11:03 PM
Do you work nights BlueVelvet or just keep strange hours like me. :)

Blue Velvet
Jan 27, 2005, 11:09 PM
Do you work nights BlueVelvet or just keep strange hours like me. :)

No... I'm off to work soon.
Start at 7am today, finsh at 3:30 or so...

Mudbug
Jan 28, 2005, 01:43 AM
all of your posts are noted, and probably ignored. This will be an administrative decision, not a popular vote.

I think the thread's played out. I'm closing it, but leaving it.