PDA

View Full Version : Pc Mag's mac mini's review

MacBytes
Jan 25, 2005, 09:03 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: Pc Mag\'s mac mini\'s review (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050125100353)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

24C
Jan 25, 2005, 09:28 AM
Quite a fair review, some inaccuracies but then you get this
"Sub-ratings (out of 100):
Video: 31
Gaming: 16
Music: 62
Photo: 48"
WTF :confused:, gaming yes...but didn't see any comments about music/photo

wordmunger
Jan 25, 2005, 09:58 AM
Quite a fair review, some inaccuracies but then you get this
"Sub-ratings (out of 100):
Video: 31
Gaming: 16
Music: 62
Photo: 48"
WTF :confused:, gaming yes...but didn't see any comments about music/photo

Photo: doesn't like the lack of dedicated flash memory card slots -- this is specifically mentioned in the article.
Music: small HD?

zelmo
Jan 25, 2005, 10:03 AM
Photo: doesn't like the lack of dedicated flash memory card slots -- this is specifically mentioned in the article.

Music: one little speaker, basic audio out port?

24C
Jan 25, 2005, 11:49 AM

OK, I read that, but come on this is a BYODKM machine, so I wouldn't expect that really...I just thought that the photo rating might have had something to do with the iPhoto, and the music something to do with iTunes. So I am missing the point... if I am expected to buy a 19 keyboard, surely in this form factor I wouldn't expect a free 13 multifunction flash memory card reader. Likewise if I wanted to store huge amounts of music and pictures, I would expect to get a bigger external hard drive or get the BTO 80Gb.

We all know the Mac mini has faults, but most of these ,with the exception of the stock RAM, are due to compromises re its' small physical size and its' targetted audience. Move either side of these parameters and you need a different machine, but as a first toe in the water for a switcher/dabbler/lower dollar point, it's OK, besides the real $ value is in it's software.