PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 Tower

DanishJordan
Dec 26, 2010, 12:51 AM
I'm looking to buy a mac, but I have a computer that I use for load-intensive apps and gaming (so far.)

I'm wanting to get into macs as a primary system, but I want to make sure I like them before I spend 2,000+ on a mac!

My questions is whether or not this is a good buy! Please post your opinion, and your reasoning!

"Good working condition, running OS 10.5.6
Dual PowerPC 2GHz processors (1,000MHz bus, 512K L2 cache per processor)
1GB DDR ram (4 x 256MB sticks, 400MHz)
40GB SATA hard drive
DVDRW (reads DVDs and CDs fine, I've never burned with it)
2USB ports in back and 1 in front, requires USB keyboard and mouse. Also has 2 firewire ports I've never tested
ATI Radeon 9600,128MB AGP video card with dual DVI output, can include an adapter if VGA connection is all your monitor has.
Ethernet for high speed Internet
Built-in speaker and sound outputs work"
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3848/3nc3m53o55y25t55z4acp38.jpg

stev3n
Dec 26, 2010, 01:17 AM
How much? It's a good machine but it's several years old and a lot of the new software won't run on PowerPC machines. Also, you can upgrade the machine a lot.

occams razor
Dec 26, 2010, 01:43 AM
well mac2sell.net lists that system at a worth of $210. so if its anything over that I would pass up on it. I believe their the authority when it comes to pricing used macs and anytime im in the market for them I always show people the print up on their system and offer what it says. You would be surprised how many people it pisses off and after a few days they are calling me back saying they will take the offer :cool:

DanishJordan
Dec 26, 2010, 01:54 AM
well mac2sell.net lists that system at a worth of $210. so if its anything over that I would pass up on it. I believe their the authority when it comes to pricing used macs and anytime im in the market for them I always show people the print up on their system and offer what it says. You would be surprised how many people it pisses off and after a few days they are calling me back saying they will take the offer :cool:

He's asking $150 but said he would negotiate! Thanks a lot!
How much can I upgrade, and is it worth it?

occams razor
Dec 26, 2010, 02:06 AM
If I remember right it should take 8 gigs of ram. the video card in it should be more then enough. Hard drive upgrades are up to you. should take any drive you can buy.

tom vilsack
Dec 26, 2010, 02:32 AM
shouldn't min harddrive size be 80gig for a G5 tower?

i would offer say 120-130 and buy a new drive (will make major difference in speed) can get cheap wd 250 at newegg for $43

occams razor
Dec 26, 2010, 02:46 AM
It was probably a custom order but they left the stock hard drive option

macdudeguy
Dec 26, 2010, 05:06 AM
There were 40GB S-ATA drives? Hmm.

Anyways, I wouldn't negotiate much at $150. The price is already as good as you're going to find for a Dual.

AlexMaximus
Dec 26, 2010, 08:03 AM
Hi Dan,

I put some research in the past to replace my G4 along the line. The best G5 would be the late 2005 model with 2,3 Ghz dual. It is the fastest G5 that was available with non liquid cooling. I would not go with other models then that, because: Either you are stuck with no real GPU option (older AGP models) or cooling leakage problems on the other end. The late 2,3 is the sweet spot.
Remember, the first Mac Pro has been sold with the Radeon X1900, which is also available for the late G5. This way you would have at least a machine that was slick in 06' compared to older models with a technology from 2003

The G5 you mention might be ok, but since the G5 is "End of Live", I would at least get the best model available.

occams razor
Dec 26, 2010, 08:23 AM
Damn good information right there