Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superhob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
I just noticed these price drops on the edu pricing of the mac mini:

Bluetooth and AE combo was $116. Now it's $89

The 1 gb ram was $382. Now $292

NOW this is weird. The superdrive upgrade is now for an 8x and at $90. The tech specs page says 4x and I'm pretty sure all the original minis had 4x drives in them. This is sure to make many early adopters very angry......

Those were the only ones I noted as I've been on the fence as to which system to buy.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Looks like those discounts are reflected in regular pricing as well. The price of being an early adopter, I suppose. I suppose if you've already ordered, you could cancel and get back at the end of the line with the cheaper/better add-ons.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
Superhob said:
I just noticed these price drops on the edu pricing of the mac mini:

Bluetooth and AE combo was $116. Now it's $89

The 1 gb ram was $382. Now $292

NOW this is weird. The superdrive upgrade is now for an 8x and at $90. The tech specs page says 4x and I'm pretty sure all the original minis had 4x drives in them. This is sure to make many early adopters very angry......

Those were the only ones I noted as I've been on the fence as to which system to buy.

I'm guessing it has something to do with supply problems for the superdrive increase in speed. As far as the price drops go, I'm not sure why the big EDU drops and no drops in regular pricing. Maybe it's because they are cancelling the eMac and they want to make sure the mac mini is an equal or better value for education customers than the emac was/is.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Also the HDD upgrade is $50....I thought it used to be $90! Am I wrong there?

The 8X superdrive is listed in the regular BTO area for the mini, not just the EDU.

The 1GB upgrade is now $325

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I wonder if this is a sign of things to come for Apple -- really making these things commodity machines, changing prices/specs as the market changes. Instead of waiting 6 months for upgrades, they could happen every couple of weeks.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Peyote said:
I'm pretty sure it was always $50. At least, it has been for some time.

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
Peyote said:

The 8X superdrive is listed in the regular BTO area for the mini, not just the EDU.

The 1GB upgrade is now $325

Yeah, I just went to the Apple Store online as well, and all of this is true. Airport Express and Bluetooth together as a BTO is only $99 also! Individually they are the same price $79 and $50 but together cheaper. Who knows where this came from?

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
I am so psyched about the 8X superdrive...I was going to buy my mini through MacConnection since they don't charge sales tax in TX and I can get the config I want (1.25Ghz, Superdrive). Now I will be ordering through Apple.com for sure. That slow superdrive was one thing I really wished was different when they were first announced. I'm glad I had to wait to order...I'll be placing my order for a mini with the following specs tonight:

1.25 Ghz
8x Superdrive
256 MB
40 GB
Apple Keyboard & Mouse

I'll also be ordering a 1 GB module from one of these vendors:

http://dealram.com/prices/23/1GB.html

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
I think this thread could be moved to the front page, no? It's not a huge upgrade, but it's definitely interesting that apple has dropped prices for this stuff so quickly and it is fun to speculate as to why.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Wow... Apple is really making this hard for me... the mini is more and more of a GREAT deal, and winning more and more ground over the single 1.8 G5 PowerMac in my mind. I just might break down and buy the mini soon. :eek:

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
maxterpiece said:
I think this thread could be moved to the front page, no? It's not a huge upgrade, but it's definitely interesting that apple has dropped prices for this stuff so quickly and it is fun to speculate as to why.

just put it there.
Good catch :)

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Gotta love 'Apple Update' Tuesdays

Now I'm wondering what other updates we might see today....Powerbook maybe?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
bring on the bitching about no powerbook's :rolleyes:

the imac g5 and the powerbook/ibook optical drives will surely be 8X from now on like what they did with the powermac when the emac got an 8x superdrive

HarmlessRabbit

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2005
Anyone buying now doesn't care about price anyway

Since anyone buying today doesn't care that in less than six months they will have to shell out 20% of the price of the Mini for Tiger ($129), I'm guessing that early adopters don't care about price anyway. :)

But seriously, unless you absolutely *must* have a mini *now*, veruca salt style, why wouldn't you wait to get Tiger for free?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Sucks for people who have just received their mini Mac.

Wonder if they are caught under Apple's price protection.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Well Paint Me a Sucker!

arrrrg! I've had it for 1 day and already the price has dropped!

Well, it's OK - I got the 1.4 instead of the 1.2 which I pretty much got for the hard drive upgrade, so if I ordered today I'd just have the 1.2 and a $50 hd upgrade.

I'll take solace in knowing I got my macmini on the 21st anniversary of Macintosh.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Peyote said:
Gotta love 'Apple Update' Tuesdays

Now I'm wondering what other updates we might see today....Powerbook maybe?

Too late, any new PBs would have already been introduced today... normally.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Some price shifts in the UK too

Yep, HD upgrade was £50..now £30, Superdrive is same @£70, but wireless BT is the same I think, extreme looks less @£49.:D

Great news really, does anybody think Extreme is gonna get upgraded to the n standard soon, hence some reductions?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
HarmlessRabbit said:
Since anyone buying today doesn't care that in less than six months they will have to shell out 20% of the price of the Mini for Tiger ($129), I'm guessing that early adopters don't care about price anyway. :)

But seriously, unless you absolutely *must* have a mini *now*, veruca salt style, why wouldn't you wait to get Tiger for free?

Well, one reason would be if you weren't planning to upgrade to Tiger. I'm considering not doing it, unless Apple announces it'll be at least 2 years until the next OS upgrade. Right now, Panther does everything I need it to.

Another reason: if you have more than one other Mac: Then Tiger would be $200 for a family pack upgrade whether or not you buy the mini.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
HarmlessRabbit said:

I'll tell you why I will wait:

A) I don't buy OS upgrades in their first iteration....in fact, I usually wait at least 1 year before I buy the next OS, to give Apple time to work the bugs out.

B) Tiger just doesn't interest me...the features don't look that appealing, and I won't use most of them.

C) I couldn't wait because in order to buy a mini, I have to sell my older Mac...which by the time Tiger is released, probably would have dropped quite a bit in resale value because of the mini.

Just because you don't see any reason buying a mini now, doesn't mean that others don't have perfectly good reasons for buying early. No need to be insulting just because someone makes a decision you wouldn't have.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
....£50 for a 512 MB memory stick, £290 for 1Gb, Superdrive is £70, upgrade to 80Gb hard drive £30, Bluetooth and AE CArd £84.

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
rhpenguin said:
maybe this little bump really means the end of the eMac? this brings the mini on par with what was the eMac.

All it will take is a cheaper 17" screen, keyboard bundle to compete in existing eMac territory...now if the Mac mini was really easy to 'simple user' upgrade, wouldn't it be nice to get an add on wireless keyboard/ mouse/ BT & extreme package all bundled in a sweet box...one for each arm:)

It's a bit like you've bought the pants... fancy a nice jacket and tie sir?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.