PDA

View Full Version : VPN over 3G?

azstinger
Dec 26, 2010, 10:26 AM
Ok so i understand the concept of a VPN and how that would work over wifi or a normal connection. However is it possible to get to a VPN from just a 3G connection and would it be potentially strong/fast enough to support streaming video?

I tried searching and all it seemed like all the discussions I found were just about using a VPN over wifi. So sorry in advance if it was covered before and my weak google-fu missed it.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 26, 2010, 10:29 AM
The VPN is solely dependent on your Internet connection. So if AT&T or whoever your carrier is, has a solid network in your area, it will work fine. All the VPN does is create a secure encrypted tunnel from your iPad to where ever the other end of the VPN is, usually a firewall.

I have an IPSec VPN setup on my iPhone back to my office Cisco ASA 5510 and it works just fine on AT&T 3G when I need it.

azstinger
Dec 26, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hmm ok thanks, I will be using in a deployed location to try and get access to US/UK websites/servers.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 26, 2010, 10:40 AM
Yep, as long as you have a decent and persistent connection, you should be fine.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 26, 2010, 10:48 AM
Also, if you want to learn more about VPN's and potential solutions for being abroad, check out Security Now! (http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm) with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. Scroll all the way down toward the bottom and look for episodes 14 and 15 and I think up to 18. They talk all about VPN's and the technology behind it.

It's very interesting stuff.

azstinger
Dec 26, 2010, 11:06 AM
Also, if you want to learn more about VPN's and potential solutions for being abroad, check out Security Now! (http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm) with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte. Scroll all the way down toward the bottom and look for episodes 14 and 15 and I think up to 18. They talk all about VPN's and the technology behind it.

It's very interesting stuff.

Thanks for the help, defiantly will take a look. Anything to pass the time out here =)