PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Mac mini - Tempting PC Users Everywhere

MacBytes
Jan 25, 2005, 11:46 AM
Category: Reviews
Link: Apple\'s Mac mini - Tempting PC Users Everywhere (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050125124619)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

24C
Jan 25, 2005, 12:20 PM
Really good read, lot of effort went into this, pictures are excellent.

srobert
Jan 25, 2005, 12:33 PM
Very... VERY informative. Best Mac Mini review I've seen yet. I'll bookmark it and refer potential switcher friends to it. Interesting to see that you can get lucky and have a Mini with a 5400 RPM drive instead of the advertised 4200 PRM one.

kronos2611
Jan 25, 2005, 01:09 PM
Very good review - just one point to pick on :

"Other than that, Mac OS X comes with a very full functioned text editor called TextEdit.* Although it canít open Microsoft Word documents, "

TextEdit does open Word documents....

jlewis2k1
Jan 25, 2005, 01:18 PM
hmm, after reading this article im still a little bit confused. You can add a PC 2700 400 ram or did i just misread that?

srobert
Jan 25, 2005, 01:44 PM
hmm, after reading this article im still a little bit confused. You can add a PC 2700 400 ram or did i just misread that?

Seems so. The mini they received came with it, but they also said that the Mini won't take advantage of the extra 67. They even sucessfully installed a scary monster honk of a stick of ram with a "heat spreader" on it.

nagromme
Jan 25, 2005, 03:02 PM
From their side-by-side $499 comparison--which is all readers will see of they don't click away to other pages:
"The PC continues to be a better value from a hardware standpoint"

Wow, they are REALLY brushing some things aside lightly:

* DVD player (Dell has none)
* CD burner (Dell has none)
* Dedicated video RAM so it CAN play many 3D games which the Dell can't
* Firewire
* DVI display port

That's a lot of hardware value, I'd say.

A great review in some ways, but it's a stretch to say that a faster CPU, RAM, and 15" display totally offset all of that.

Mhz doesn't stop you from DOING something with your computer. Lack of Firewire, CD-RW, and DVD really do! That seems incredibly obvious to me.

It's like saying "all that matters is performance... even if there's not much you can perform!"

(And then look at the software, of course--antivirus costs extra on the Dell, and no iLife 05.)

Also, re 256 RAM... I highly recommend more RAM, but they go farther: calling 512 an "absolute necessity." Other reviewers have disagreed, finding 256 adequate. My parents upgraded from 256 and never noticed. So more RAM is a very good thing for many peope--but a universally necessity? No. Especially when you CAN upgrade the RAM yourself later "as needed" (and at better prices) without voiding your warranty. (Same goes for their warning against getting a 1-button mouse, even though they are talking about "computer illiterate" buyers at times. A 1-button mouse is BETTER for many users. It's not a universal truth that 2 is better for everyone.)

24C
Jan 25, 2005, 03:20 PM
From their side-by-side $499 comparison--which is all readers will see of they don't click away to other pages:
"The PC continues to be a better value from a hardware standpoint"...big snip...
He then adds..." there's no doubt about that - the above comparison alone proves that.* At the same price you get a similarly configured Dell (from a hardware standpoint) and a free 15" LCD monitor."*which IMO appeals to the 'I told you so I can get it cheaper PC' masses, but then quantifies it by adding...."What the Mac mini does provide however is an Apple desktop that is finally comparable in price to a PC desktop"

I think the article is quite fair, even with a second look. OK, there are inaccuracies, but compared to a Bill Palmer rant, this is manna from the gods. :)

nagromme
Jan 25, 2005, 03:29 PM
Saying it's comparable in PRICE doesn't qualify the hardware complaint. He still says you're getting more FOR that price with the Dell, hardware-wise.

Yet even the PC "masses" can appreciate that a DVD player and CD-RW have value.

But despite that "page one" slant, yes, overall it's good if you go through it all--and worlds away from BP :)

killmoms
Jan 25, 2005, 05:47 PM
Until October of 2004, Anandtech was an all PC hardware review site. That means hardcore AMD geeks would come there to see all the latest benchmarks of all the latest PC hardware (and still do). Anand started with his PowerMac article, which came from a month of using a PowerMac G5 as his full time machine (which he chronicled in his blog, but not on the site proper). The fact that the site is doing reviews at all is very impressiveómore impressive is that the average bent on the comments ranges from "cool, I'm getting one" to "I can see why people would like them," instead of being 100% vitriolic rage. There's still the occasional troll, but you know. What I'm really trying to say is that for years this has been a site focused on how much performance you get for what $ amount, so that that shows up in these articles doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is how easy (for Anand) he glosses over this when he discusses how the rest of the system (including OS X) really make the machine worth it. This is the kind of press the PC enthusiast world needs to get them to stop saying "MACS SUCK" every time the topic is brought up.

verozov
Jan 25, 2005, 07:42 PM
very good read...

SiliconAddict
Jan 26, 2005, 12:22 AM
I love Anandtech. Prob one of the best places on the net to get good, in depth reviews.