PDA

View Full Version : LOTR DVD and ibook combo drive

RowdyFROG
Sep 3, 2002, 12:02 AM
The stuff:
-iBook 700 (2 months old) with Sony CRX800E combo drive
-LOTR DVD

The problem:
Chapters 1 - 22, beautiful. Chapters 23 onward (approximately halfway through the movie), playback becomes very stop-start - Play 5 seconds, pause 5 seconds while drive spins, play 5 seconds...all the way to the end of the movie. All other DVDs have played perfectly. returned LOTR to the store and got replacement. Smae thing happens.

THe questions:
Does anyone else with this stuff (CRX800E drive in iBook700) have the same problems?
Is there anything I can do about it?

It's as if the sensors in the drive have trouble picking up the info after a certain point on the DVD, like it spins faster toward the edge. Happens when I start on chapter 23 or after as well.

Extremely annoying :mad: and impossible to enjoy the movie like that

cb911
Sep 3, 2002, 01:41 AM
i guess you could give Apple a call and see what they say. you could also try the same discs in another iBook of the same model. good luck with it.:)

Macmaniac
Sep 3, 2002, 09:20 AM
My friend has a Sony Viao with a Combo drive and when I was watching LOTR on it it has a lot of trouble playing anything starting with Gimli Discovering Balins tomb. Maybe the iBook has the same drive as the Viao casue its having the same prob, the earlier chapters play fine.

Balin64
Sep 3, 2002, 09:50 AM
I have an iBook 700MHZ with a cobo Drive; mine is the Toshiba model; I had no problems watching that very long movie; it played fine until the end although the disc itself got very hot! maybe you should call Apple costumer support and report it! perhaps there is a compatibility issue with some DVD region/mechanisms, heat-related problems (although you say same thing happens when you start in Chapter 23, weird). Sorry, but I wish you the best of luck!

RowdyFROG
Sep 5, 2002, 09:37 PM
Yeah it is weird, and very annoying.

Phoned apple support but they are not keen to investigate it much as all other DVDs have played fine. Tried to palm it off as possibly a problem with the recording f that particular DVD. When I said I'd replaced the disc, they said it may have been a problem with the recording of the whole batch. I'm not convinced though.

I'd still like to hear from anyone with the same drive who has tried LOTR and whether they experienced any problems. Perhas then I could mount a case to get it fixed. We are generally region 4 in Australia, but it don't see how that could make any difference for one half of one movie.

Can you find out from your friend, MM, what the drive was in the vaio?

rjett
Sep 6, 2002, 02:52 PM
Try updating your dvd player software.

saabmp3
Sep 7, 2002, 01:08 AM
How do you upgrade your DVD software, cause mine crashes alot!
BEN

soarhevn
Sep 8, 2002, 05:17 AM
It's not just LOTR that has problems. I live in Hong Kong and get a lot of DVD's from China; it maybe because of the questionable nature of the DVD's but about 30% of problems playing; will stick, stop, stutter, give errors saying scratched disk...

I tried simply copying the the DVD onto my HD and also tried using DVDbackup, but no go. There will be a problem copying one of the files; the DVD will make a lot of noises like it is searching for something, but finally it will error out.

I'm using an iBook 700 with the Sony Combo drive; 10.2 w/ 640Mbs RAM. I was hoping the 10.2 upgrade would fix this, but no go. The disks don't work in OS 9 either. I'm thinking this is a Sony drive problem.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any fix?

rickvanr
Dec 14, 2002, 05:03 PM
goto: http://www.WormInTheApple.gr/macdvd/index.html

they have lots of firmaware patches and updates for pretty much everything dvd