Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I thought I remembered previous threads talking about 9% or so as the average educational discount.
At the moment it seems to be about 6% (eg the 14" iBook 1.33 Combo). But if you want a Shuffle its 0% :(

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
About 8% is the average edu discount. The discounts seem to get higher as the machine specs increase. Most students will plump for the low end iBook so the discount is lower. How many students do you know who can get a Dual 2.5? :D I know this applies to staff as well but most aren't that well paid. I have no idea why the shuffle isn't discounted - maybe after the initial rush has died down?

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Yes maybe - its interesting that Apple are promoting the iPod range generally as an educational tool (and they do offer a discount on the iPod - eg 6% for the 20gB model). Or maybe the margins are just a bit too tight...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
When we originally ordered our Macs for work, we had 3 x dual 2ghz G5s on order and allocated. As a registered charity, we qualified for this discount after some wheeling & dealing with one of the AppleStore corporate reps.

Within days of our payment before our bank transfer was processed, the dual 2.5s were announced – our order was upgraded but of course, shipment was delayed until the machines were here. (I guess that's why we got ours from that first batch that arrrived in the UK – because of the early order)...

Anywaaaayy... I then enquired about the edu discount on those machines and it was not possible, not policy, because they were still in their first quarter of shipping. So I guess for most models, you have to wait until the second quarter of a product's lifespan.

Not that I have much sympathy with your educational needs that necessitate an iPod Shuffle... :D

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
by Blue Velvet:
Not that I have much sympathy with your educational needs that necessitate an iPod Shuffle...

...yes, more or less my point! - i suppose that if you had it on full volume it could drown out the sound of school students (that's educationally sound isn't it??)

On a slightly serious note, since owning my iBook I have started to use Powerpoint a bit for lessons, and did one the other day on 'how Apple use ICT to run their business' - selling iTunes over the net, their use of e-mail newsletters etc, and I managed to start and finish it with QT movies of the iPod TV adverts - it was certainly an attention grabber.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
they still do the deal where if u buy a ibook or powerbook and get an ipod at the came time, you get some money back. cram and jam - thats it.

also if you go into the NUS store you get far greater discounts. like a 20" lcd is about £600 with tax. (i so want one!)

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I was told at Mac Expo in November that Cram and Jam had ended. Are you saying that it still applies for NUS cardholders?

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
stevep said:
I was told at Mac Expo in November that Cram and Jam had ended. Are you saying that it still applies for NUS cardholders?

yup. it is advertised on the NUS apple store (i suppose the NUS is good for something then!)

the discounts are pretty decent on there. iLife '05 was £25

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
russed said:
yup. it is advertised on the NUS apple store (i suppose the NUS is good for something then!)

the discounts are pretty decent on there. iLife '05 was £25
I found the NUS online store just after I'd paid regular edu for my iBook G4. Not best pleased. Had forgotten about it though, russed, what's the price on a Mini there now?

(I don't have an NUS card this year, I'd forgotten they had a real use!)

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
its gone down a few more £ today. its now £305.50 for the basic one

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
russed said:
its gone down a few more £ today. its now £305.50 for the basic one
Thanks dude. Sweet bejeezus that's good.

Maybe I'll be heading off to the SU tomorrow... maybe my conscience won't catch up with my arms. At least, until it's too late. For that price, it could serve as a freaking DVD player...

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
brap said:
Thanks dude. Sweet bejeezus that's good.

Maybe I'll be heading off to the SU tomorrow... maybe my conscience won't catch up with my arms. At least, until it's too late. For that price, it could serve as a freaking DVD player...

its amazing. as much as i hate the NUS and its politics, the discounts make having a card v worth while!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.