Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalinIsATwit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
The installer from this DVD will not launch on my Mac Mini. The store I bought it from won't let me return it so I'm stuck with it. Is there anything I can do to get this damn thing to work?

I get a black screen after it huffs and puffs and then dies.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The installer from this DVD will not launch on my Mac Mini. The store I bought it from won't let me return it so I'm stuck with it. Is there anything I can do to get this damn thing to work?

I get a black screen after it huffs and puffs and then dies.

I'll spare you my OEM is not licensed to end users speech since you already have it.

How are you trying to launch it? Which Mac Mini?

Assuming you have already used Boot Camp Assistant or some other method to create the partition you can try this approach. Reboot your Mac holding Alt/Option. When the boot selector menu comes up, insert the disc and select it, PRESS ANY KEY when it asks you to to boot from the disc.

You may need a wired keyboard to press the any key.

B

PalinIsATwit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Windows 7 installer won't launch

I'm using an older 1.8Mhz duo mac mini with SNow Leapord and latest updates.

I click the start installation button in Boot Camp Assistant. It acts like the CD/DVD is not bootable. When I examine the contents in the Finder it has the setup.exe file and bunch of other stuff. I don't know what makes it "bootable".

I've tried restarting and pressing the option key. This works but when I click the Windows CD/DVD icon and press a key the drive whirrrs for a while and then stops and my screen goes black.

It doesn't work! I don't want to resort to buying Fusion or Parallels. It's bad enough I gave $150 to microsoft.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

PalinIsATwit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Thanks!

The third one looks like a good place to start. I did this with Linux and it worked (No need for a license, but the procedure is the same)

Oops, my mac mini only can read and write to a cd and read a dvd. Maybe the apple store genius guys can help me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.