Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Bought a 20" 1.8GHz iMac G5 for my 14 year old yesterday. I spent all weekend trying to get his old PC up to speed and it pissed me off to the point where I put the kids in the car and went to CompUSA. He had the choice and he wanted a Mac (I've got a Power Mac G5). My 10 year old got an iPod out of the deal to keep him happy until he gets in middle school next year at which point I told him I'd buy him an iMac too if he wants one. I've been lobbying the ex-wife now to get off dial up and go with Sprint DSL (for the boys sake). It's only $5 more than she's spending for AOL.

I'll shoot him a link to this forum so he can hang with the best on-line community out there - that is if I can get him out of World of Warcraft long enough :p

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I hope that your son's realize how lucky they are to have you for a Dad. I'm willing to be adopted. :D Seriously that was a very nice gesture on your part. Hopefully your can convince your ex-wife to get DSL. Has she had the opportunity to see its performance?

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I think it's the other way around - I'm the lucky one :p BTW - Zack (my 14 year old) is continuing to get straight A's in his first year of high school (he maintained a 4.0 gpa through middle school). So I can look at this purchase as an investment in his future, right? :D

Regarding the DSL - she's seen broadband when at my place. I think she understands - I was never good at convincing her to do anything she didn't want to do though - so I'll just have to see :eek:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm trying to remember what my parents got me for getting straight A's... Hmm, all I know is, it wasn't a Mac. :)

Nice. Glad to hear you're passing on your good sense to your kids! Nice choice on the iMac as well - it should last him at least until college, I'd imagine, and maybe longer.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
emw said:
I'm trying to remember what my parents got me for getting straight A's... Hmm, all I know is, it wasn't a Mac. :)
$5 per A for me.....I made straight A's so over the years it may have been enough to buy an iBook:)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Great machine and you should def be very proud of your son. My parents told me I would get a new computer when I graduated high school.... now it is when I graduate college next year.. :rolleyes: We shall see haha.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
strange coincidence, my name is zack, and im 14! My dad didnt buy me an iMac thought :( . I did buy myself a powebook though and I'm happy with that :D . Your son is lucky.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
killuminati said:
strange coincidence, my name is zack, and im 14! My dad didnt buy me an iMac thought :( . I did buy myself a powebook though and I'm happy with that :D . Your son is lucky.

You bought yourself a powerbook? You mean you parents gave you money and you bought one? I don't think its possible for a kid to buy a PB with his own money. I mean you can't even get a job (I don't think, I might be wrong though).

Anyways, congrats on the PB :cool:

And congrats to the original poster for "switching" your kids!

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
johnbro23 said:
You bought yourself a powerbook? You mean you parents gave you money and you bought one? I don't think its possible for a kid to buy a PB with his own money. I mean you can't even get a job (I don't think, I might be wrong though).

Well actually I do have a job. I make slideshows and short video presentations for events. So the money came from a combination of that and birthdays/holidays.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
killuminati said:
Well actually I do have a job. I make slideshows and short video presentations for events. So the money came from a combination of that and birthdays/holidays.
Wow, that's great :eek: 14 and already making money doing what you're good at. Maybe someday will see your work on the big screen :D Keep up the good work Zack!

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Cooknn said:
Wow, that's great :eek: 14 and already making money doing what you're good at. Maybe someday will see your work on the big screen :D Keep up the good work Zack!

Thanks, and yes that is my goal :)

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
You lot get imacs for passing with A's???

Maybe thats just a cultural difference between us brits and you lot. But when i passed my exams all i got was a 12 pack of stella artois.
And it really isnt as reassuringly expensive as they make out.

Anyway, well done with the purchase, must be a pretty bright family. :D

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
V.A.Toss said:

Maybe thats just a cultural difference between us brits and you lot. But when i passed my exams all i got was a 12 pack of stella artois.

V.A.Toss Good One!!!

I don't even get that, well I don't usually get A's :p

Benj

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2004
London
V.A.Toss said:

I'm always amazed at some of the expensive tech the young'uns and students on here have.

I remember using a knakered word processor through university - a year's rent was the price of a PowerBook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.