Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
I am considering purchasing a Mac computer to do development for the iPhone and iPad and was wondering which computer to buy. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I am considering purchasing a Mac computer to do development for the iPhone and iPad and was wondering which computer to buy. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't really matter since any of the laptops can make use of an external display, or the iMac/Mac Pros have/require one.

The reason I say this is that you will be looking at code for hours, and it's not fun to hunch over a laptop to write on.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
It doesn't really matter since any of the laptops can make use of an external display, or the iMac/Mac Pros have/require one.

The reason I say this is that you will be looking at code for hours, and it's not fun to hunch over a laptop to write on.

Do you think the iMac 21" (4GB) is adequate for development?

Last edited:

SimonasLT

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
What about MBA (1.83GHz; 4GB RAM)? Could it run SDK without any slowdowns? I wanna to be mobile...

(Didn`t want to create another thread)

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Any Intel Mac running Snow Leopard will work.

One with an SSD, such as the cheapest MacBook Air, will compile the fastest. A huge monitor also helps for faster easier development. So my recommendation would be a Pro or iMac with a large monitor or even dual monitors, a Mini with a large monitor, or a MacBook or Air with an optional large monitor for use when at your desk.

That's pretty much Apple's complete line of Macs. Last years models and refurbs will also work.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
Thank for the recommendations. Bought a base model iMac (4GB with 21 inch screen, full size wired keyboard and wireless mouse). Very nice computer. Being a Windows user for many years I have a lot of learning to do. So far its been good except wish for a right click capability on the mouse (I miss this the most).

Looking forward to developing iPhone and iPad apps. Downloading the SDK now!

-Al

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
So far its been good except wish for a right click capability on the mouse (I miss this the most).

-Al

So turn it on! You can do so by going to "System Preferences…" (in theApple Menu) and selecting the "Mouse" preference panel. Right-click can then be done by pressing the right half of the mouse.

infosprt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
So turn it on! You can do so by going to "System Preferences…" (in theApple Menu) and selecting the "Mouse" preference panel. Right-click can then be done by pressing the right half of the mouse.

Thank you. Thank you.

As you can see I have a lot to learn with the Mac.

I am very impressed with the iMac and OS X. This is so much faster than what I am used to as well as having some things built in that I had to download for Windows, e.g. unzipping very large .tgz files.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.